Are you using Axe-Fx/FM9/FM3 with a tube amp?

How are you using Axe-Fx/FM9/FM3 with a tube amp?

• Total voters
Home: SPDIF to my interface
Live: XLR out1 stereo to FOH, monitor with IEMs

No analog gear in my chain

FM9 with cab modeling off. FM9 Output 1 into effects return of my Soldano Astro into Soldano slant 2x12 (using as my monitor). The Astro has a six slot cab IR that I can select and send that to FOH.

Most guys aren't reading the OP's question and listed their rigs without the tube amp. Oh well, tis the nature of the forums. As for me I have a mixed answer. 1st off it's an AX8. I used it for 2 years' solid of gigs with tube amps. Either into an ENGL 100 watt power amp, an ENGL 35 watt power amp, or into the FX return on a Splawn Super Comp. I used a 2x12 guitar speaker cab with it each time. Cab emulation turned off, and most of the time Power Amp emulation turned off. I took a break from using it, and went back to all my regular pedalboard and tube amps, and then recently started using it again, this time WITHOUT the tube amp and using the built-in features and an EV monitor. If you're good at setting up program parameters your products kill in either application. Good luck with the poll

I voted "Other."

I was exclusively using the FM9 with a tube amp because I hadn't found any FRFR solutions that I liked and the EVH 50w power section seems to pair exceptionally well with the Fractal modelers. Although I tested 4CM, the rig was predominantly just FM9 into EVH fx return. That rig slowly grew into a w/d/w rig with the EVH and a Powerstage 700 powering a trio of real cabs.

I've since managed to trim down to the FM9 and a trio of powered FRFRs (two EV PXMs and a Fender FR-12). I'm at least as happy with this setup as I was with the tube amp setup and if pressed I'd have to admit I'm happier.

And this is all at home. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Axe Fx into return of my Revv head ! Literally just using power section of the Revv , everything else is fractal.
Bought a fender Fr12 though and it sounds damn good , contemplating offloading the Revv

Guitar into FX-III Input 1, Output 3L into input of my Mesa/Boogie Mk IV-B 1 x 12" EV Combo, effect loop Send into Input 4L, Output 4 stereo to the stereo effect Returns of the MK IV. I use a Mesa/Boogie Simul Satellite with a 12" EV speaker for playing in stereo. Sounds awesome :)

For working with the FX-III alone, I have configured the Mk IV simulation of the FX-III to match the tone of my real amp as closely as possible (just the preamp). I mainly use this for playing with headphones, when I do not want to carry the heavy amps around.

Last edited:
I run my fm3 right into a 5 watt tone king gremlin, set clean.

For cleaner patches I usually bypass the IR block, as the open back cabinet and 12” Alnico cream sounds so good and room filling

For higher gain stuff, I often leave the cab block on, as I find you can really dial in a lot of character through use of IR

Sometimes play it through an oversized 2x12 with GBs too, but usually that little tube combo

Did side by side with studio monitors, CLR etc, just sounds better overall from the tube amp, adds a little mojo or something as it’s just a beautiful blackface style circuit, and running with a big bottle kt66 in the power section

I have 1 full digital setup with fm9 and one full analog with amp and pedals, analog or analog dry through.

A full digital rig : Axe fx III with a pair of redsound MF 10 (active + passive)
And an analog rig: dual recto 2ch with TS9 Pro+ and Digitech The Drop

I also feel the urge to uselessly interfere by telling everyone the non-tube rig that I am using, but... :D
the lord of the rings no GIF

My Axe-Fx III is in the loop of my Power Station. Which allows me to use my Marshall 2x12 cab with AxeFx models and effects. I also have my Mesa Mark V connected to Power Station and an output of the AxeFx going to the input of my Mesa Amp. So I can use any AxeFx effects with my Mesa Amp. So I can really use any combination of real amp or amp models.

I’m new to the forums, ( hello everyone!! ) and also new to fractal…just bought the FM3 a week ago.

I’m currently running 4cm into my Splawn Super Sport. Not sure I really like this option as I can’t use the FM3 to its full potential this way…looking at the Fender FR rig and may go that way when they’re available again.

I tried to go plugged into just the fx return to see which I liked better, but for some reason couldn’t get any sound even though it showed I had input signal on the FM3…any ideas why??

I use the AxeFx sometimes als a preamp with effects into the poweramp of my Koch. I use it NEVER with 4CM or before the in put of my amp. IMO this makes ABSOLUTELY no sense because of Latency and the sound-quality of the AxeFx. I own a Triaxis, a MkIV and a Koch studiotone, which i love. The Axe sounds as good as all the preamps in my amps and is by far more flexible.
And with my Blueamps Cubo-Ex FRFR I don´t need it anymore (great soundig unit).

I’m new to the forums, ( hello everyone!! ) and also new to fractal…just bought the FM3 a week ago.

I’m currently running 4cm into my Splawn Super Sport. Not sure I really like this option as I can’t use the FM3 to its full potential this way…looking at the Fender FR rig and may go that way when they’re available again.

I tried to go plugged into just the fx return to see which I liked better, but for some reason couldn’t get any sound even though it showed I had input signal on the FM3…any ideas why??
In Setup, do you have “copy input 1 to input 2” turned on?

Short Answer = Yes

Long Answer = ...

Non-gigging basement hacker wanting many flavours and flexible outboard gear possibilities on tap - so my rig is set up for the following switchable / intermixable options without recabling:
  • Rig Output Options:
    • Powered stereo FRFR (Yamaha stud mon).
    • Stereo SS amp + FRLR (Matrix GT1k + F12M-150 cabs).
    • Stereo SS amp + closed back guitar cabs (Matrix GT1k + 112 V30 Cabs).
    • Stereo tube power sections + open back guitar cabs (H+K / Blackstar Head Power Sections + Mesa Black Shadow and Vtype cabs)..
  • Preamp / Poweramp options:
    • Axfx Only (Ax3 > Ax2 via spdif)
    • Outboard Preamps (H+K head pre, Blackstar Head pre, L6 Helix Acoustic SIm, Strymon Iridium, Revv G3, all via VooDoo lab midi switcher) returning to Axfx "Tube Pre" model power amp sim.
    • Outboard H+K Tube Head Pre + Power Section, load boxed for FRFR / FRLR / SS+GCab output options (Needs additional loop (provided by Ax2 in the Ax3>Ax4 via spdif config) for H+K internal load box line out.
  • Pre-Fx Options:
    • Axfx Only (Ax3 > Ax2 via spdif)
    • Outboard Mod Pre-Fx (Boss MD200 via loop3 just before amp/cab).
    • Outboard Other Pre-Fx (Digitech Freqout Feedback, Mosaic 12 String fx via loop4 1st in chain).
  • Post-Fx Option:
    • Axfx Only (Ax3 > Ax2 via spdif).
    • Outboard Mod Post-Fx (L6 Helix Stomp Back End Fx via loop2 after amp/cab).
    • Outboard Other Post-Fx (TC Mimiq via loop2 after amp cab).
  • OD/DS Options:
    • Axfx Only (Ax3 > Ax2 via spdif).
    • Outboard OD/DS (Strymon Riverside, L6 Helix Stomp Front End OD/DS/Amp Fx, JHS Screamer via VooDoo lab midi switcher).
Foot switching is via MFC + Old Pod HD enhanced with Bome Midi Translator programming to facilitate swapping in or out external components sources while maintaining the same foot switches for any given fx.

I replaced my pedal board with a FX8 when it came out. I'm now using a FM9 for all effects.

Guitar>FM9>amp

Not having to troubleshoot a bad cable has been wonderful! Also, my rig takes about 5 minutes to setup/breakdown. In addition, I have the option to run direct and/or into a FRFR speaker if the venues doesn't allow me to turn my amp up or something goes wrong with my amp.

Back
Top Bottom