Are you using Axe-Fx/FM9/FM3 with a tube amp?

How are you using Axe-Fx/FM9/FM3 with a tube amp?

• Total voters
I use my AxeFX III only with a pair of studio monitors.
My FM3 is hooked up to a solid state power amp and a guitar cab. Best of both worlds …

I use my FM3 with a solid state power amp (SD Powerstage 170) and a guitar cab.
Out1 goes to FOH and Out2 goes to the power amp. Very happy with this setup. Very portable rig and super versatile.

Before that I had an Atomic CLR and then a Friedman ASC-10, but I realized that I prefer the sound of a real guitar cab on stage.

I use my FM3 or FM9 as an amp modeler and effects pedal board in front of a Mesa Boogie Mark 5 Twenty-five amp.

I run the output of my guitar directly into Input 1 of the FM3/FM9. I run Output 1 from the FM3/FM9 into the effects return on the Mark 5 Twenty-five. I turn cabinet modeling off and just use the FM3/FM5 as a preamp, modeler and effects pedal board for the amp. I do not use the 4CM method. My signal chain in quiet enough that I don't need 4CM. I use a 1x12 Mesa cabinet on stage for by stage monitoring and mic the cabinet or use Output 2 into the FOH mixer for the audience sound as appropriate to the size of the venue. I have also used this same setup with a Quilter Tone Block 202 with great success.

I use my Axe Fx 3 and FM9 in three different configurations- I do use it for modeling and direct tones at church and for quiet practice, but this isn't the majority of my use. Most of the time (probably 70% of the time), I use 4CM with my Tucana 3. Sounds crazy good, and I really love being able to patch other effects through the second loop. The rest of the time, I use it as a pedalboard for a w/d/w Swart rig. I run into the Axe, out to a Swart SST-30 which takes a line out of a Tone King attenuator, back into the Axe, through time based effects, and then stereo out to a Swart Stereo Master 20, for the stereo wet tones. The SST-30 has much more gain than the SM20, so it handles gain duties, and the stereo amp handles wet stereo effects.
I once messed around with the Tucana in a w/d/w with my Matrix power amp handling stereo duties- also worked well, but 90% of my use to the Tucana and Swart rigs.

I run my FM9 pre IR into the FX Return of a Jet City HDM100, it's a 100 watt tube head designed by Soldano, the main plusses for me are the eq and presence/depth controls remain active when using the FX return. I use the amp models in the FM 9 for tone and the HDM100 for grunt.

The only thing I struggle with is musical feedback, my main tube amp (100 watt super lead (Plexi)) feeds back as soon as my left hand frets a string, the FM9 with Dynacabs into my studio monitors feeds back freely also, Into the 100HDM not so much, I have to drive the front end a lot to get feedback, but this opens me up to squealing, it's a work in progress.

I've over shared. Sorry!

Not sure I understand the question. I lately and occasionally use the FM3 with 2 fender blues Jr amps with respective G12H30/M25 speakers. FM3 L/R out to Amps in. Sounds great, lot of punch. Is this what you call pre or post FX setup?
PS no amp nor cab block in this setup. Only compression, wah, disto blocks and time based FX.

I own an AFIII and FM3 which I use without tube amp in an FRFR application and I also own another FM3 for effects only with a tube amp and cab (4CM).

I have a Mesa 20/20 in the rack with my AF3, and when using the Mesa I have a couple banks of presets that are dialed in specifically for that configuration (running into a pair of Mesa 1x12s with V30s). At home it's typically headphones or studio monitors due to volume considerations.

I will be very soon. Gonna do a stereo rig with my fender landau deville and a vox ac30cc1. Considering doing a wet/dry/wet rig with the axe fx acting as the dry amp. Need to get my hands on some humbusters and i’ll be off to the races

EVH Stealth headphone out into Axe III for post fx.

FM3 in Badlander loop for post fx, IR loading and guitar synth routing into a pair of Celestion F12X loaded 112 cabs.

I'm ignoring my studio monitor and FR12 usage

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the question. I lately and occasionally use the FM3 with 2 fender blues Jr amps with respective G12H30/M25 speakers. FM3 L/R out to Amps in. Sounds great, lot of punch. Is this what you call pre or post FX setup?
PS no amp nor cab block in this setup. Only compression, wah, disto blocks and time based FX.
Is this setup with the FM3 outs L/R to the tube amps in called PRE or POST FX ? (I guess it is the amp that is POST FX so voted that)

I use my FM3 with various tube preamps, typically DI'd via IR's or a UA OX Stomp, with the FM3's Amp Block providing a tube power amp sim, sometimes via SS Power into guitar cabs, never with a full amp head.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom