Are you tired of FRFR?

As someone who falls into the latter category :evil I'm making the switch back to real cabs. I actually really like my Mackie 1521, but I miss the focus and punch of a 4x12. At home-playing volumes, the Mackie tends to sound very boxy, once its at show volume it's great, but that kind of defeats one of the key reasons for me getting the Axe...great sound at any volume. Also it only took one disastrous gig with a horrible sound guy who did terrible things to my direct signal, to make me rethink things. Also, it turns out that while my Mackie is 30 or 40 lbs lighter, a wheeled cabinet has certain other advantages :lol

I'm just curious. . . . if the Mackie had sounded great at all volumes would you have stayed with a FRFR solution?

Terry.

Just got my first FRFR setup and I'm still coming to grips with it. I think I'm gonna like it. Just a bit nervous about using it in a band rehearsal setting.

I'm just curious. . . . if the Mackie had sounded great at all volumes would you have stayed with a FRFR solution?

Terry.

No. The Mackie is working well for me live and I have studio monitors for home, though the difference between low volume and gig volume does make it a bit tricky to dial in sounds, luckily I own my house, with good old plaster walls, and can crank it up when needed. But again, given the venues that we play and the vagaries of sound guys, a 4x12 is the safer bet, and actually a bit easier to move around and set-up, so moving away from the Mackie is more logistical, which is why I'd suggest that FRFR isn't a one size fits all solution. I am also missing the focus and classic sound of the 4x12. I will say, that I'm in the nice position of not having to sell the Mackie to get a poweramp, and I already have cabs, so I can switch between configurations if needed.

Eventually, I'll probably end up shooting IR's of my cab and eventual poweramp solution, to unify the sound between all of these options, so at a venue with a good PA and sound guy, I can just go direct, at the shabbier venues I can run a 4x12 or the Mackie. I'm sure before it's all over, I'll probably have some in-ears going on too...:lol

Isn't that the best way to avoid option paralysis? Just get it all!

Sounds like you thought this out Mo.. 8)
I've entertained the idea of the Torpedo myself because I still like using some of my amps but volume is always an issue. That's largely why I got the Axe to begin with. No questioning from me on using real amps/heads- the Axe does not replace them IMO.. just adds to the options. I still have a couple of great pedal boards that are matched to some vintage amps that are not going anywhere.

I have a pair of CLRs myself, so I'm interested to hear how this goes for you. I may follow suit when I can afford another purchase..

Will keep you posted. And I'll make sure this is void of any honeymoon lustfulness which often tends to distort true perception 8)

I am excited.

Eventually, I'll probably end up shooting IR's of my cab and eventual poweramp solution, to unify the sound between all of these options, so at a venue with a good PA and sound guy, I can just go direct, at the shabbier venues I can run a 4x12 or the Mackie. I'm sure before it's all over, I'll probably have some in-ears going on too...:lol

Isn't that the best way to avoid option paralysis? Just get it all!

Now that sounds like a plan!

I'm coming at it from the other direction. I use in-ears but have nothing for a venue where I can't use them. That's not an issue currently but I'll probably pick up a CLR at some point so I have a more "traditional" option. ;)

Terry.

OK, so to further this discussion....

I am using some very nice gear...

Andersen S
Matrix GT1000FX
One of the big three FRFR 1x12 cabs.

I have been playing for a very long time, I have and do gig live and studio record, most smaller venues these days as "I ain't as good as I once was, But I'm as good once as I ever was". I play country, blues/rock and jazz with a bunch of finger style acoustic thrown in. I am a professional.

I guess perhaps part of the MOJO I am seeking is also the "feel" of the experience.
As far as FR vs FRFR, I can't say.....as I am not sure where the line is drawn.

So, maybe I will grab my rig, head over to GC and shred some traditional cabs and see how it "feels".
Or, perhaps I need a vacation with a Corona and lime. :)

you've already got a matrix! hard part is done, just grab a second hand 1x12 cab and play around with that for a few weeks

Played quite a few shows with my Ultra with my old band, and flexibility really is one of the Axe FX's greatest strength. I run my rig like a traditional amp/cab setup, but I have direct outs ready to go with cab sims on.

Problems with crappy PA and/or crappy soundman? Forget mic'ing or direct, and turn up the damn amp!

Stage volume issues? Turn down the amp and put the guitar thru the floor monitors.

Blew a speaker during sound check? Go direct and thru floor monitors.

Soundman insists on mic'ing because "line 6 and whatever sucks"? I don't bother explaining and just let him mic the cab.

Been told you have to share cabs and/or amps with other bands? Plop the Axe on top of nearest cab around (or into FX loop of nearest clean combo) and you're good to go.

Have to travel light or fly somewhere? Put the Axe in a rack bag as carry on, ask the venue to provide something with an FX loop (or, heck, a keyboard amp), show up and play.

Mike

FWIW I just pulled the trigger on a TwoNotes Torpedo Live.

I've got a Torpedo Live and really like it. What happened to me is that I love the Axe ll Fender sounds so much I had to explore the real thing. Bought late 60's Bassman and Twin Reverb heads but didn't want to deal with the cabs. Then I built myself a Two Stroke which is an improved "Champ". I like fooling around with the tubes, resistors etc. So I still love the Axe, but have a lot of hands on fun running the tube system too. I've got a WDW thing going now. Strat out dry to Radial DI splitter going to Torpedo Live with either Fender head and an RCF. Other half of splitter going to PedalPro, stereo out to my Two Stroke and a Blues Junior I modified. Might not sound much different than the Axe ll after all that but I still love it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom