ARE YOU A OPEN MINDED GUITARIST? 100%?

Open minded and "like" are two very different things. I am open minded-love music-Do I like and listen to all types of music? Nope.
Do I think it's stupid when someone doesn't give credit to a great musician "just" becausse they don't like that type of music-Yes, happens all the time-on this thread too :)

Yes. In truth there's not a lot of really, really good music. Most of it in any genre is bland and just not that well conceived. But what I like is not restricted by genre in any way.

Depends on what you mean by open-minded. If there's even one kind of music—even one song—that you prefer over another, then you're not 100 percent open-minded (or at least one door is less open than another one). To be totally devoid of musical preference is to be equally devoid of musical taste. If you worked at getting to that state, then I don't see the point. :)

No. Open minded doesn't mean you have no discernment or taste. It merely means, to me, you are willing to listen to and appreciate all kinds of music and not be prejudiced against any one style. It doesn't mean all music has the same value, but you are willing to be moved by music, over necessarily any particular style, even though you have your preferences. Open minded means you are willing to listen to music of any style, as opposed to have a fixed point of view against a certain genre.

Depends on what you mean by open-minded. If there's even one kind of music—even one song—that you prefer over another, then you're not 100 percent open-minded (or at least one door is less open than another one). To be totally devoid of musical preference is to be equally devoid of musical taste. If you worked at getting to that state, then I don't see the point. :)

I couldn't disagree more. That's like saying that if you prefer steak to tripe, then you wont appreciate or like vegetables. 100% open minded? What's 1 % open minded? What's 52%? It's a pointless argument about an abstract.

I'm not. There is a lot of music I think is crap and won't stand for it. You and the rest of the world may like it, but I don't care about that. I like what I like and don't feel I need to be on a mission to evolve in any direction. That's not fun. Music is fun for me. Just have fun.

Reactions: Ole
That's totally fine - but honestly there is nothing you can like? I'm not talking about liking any music or songs, but saying as a blanket statement you can't stand ANY music that ever came out of hip hop, or jazz or country or classical or R&B just seems too generalized.

Many years ago I worked with a bass player who called me a musical bigot. That's all because I said I thought the only music of any worth was jazz. And I laid it out to him why. After he called me that I had to take a long assessment of myself and realized he was right. I didn't hold the keys to the kingdom of all things taste. After I came down off my high horse I realized that there was a TON of great music out there. Life was pretty boring when I limited myself to my little self-righteous corner. Then I started trying to learn these bluegrass tunes and even country, pop, R&B, classical and was open to listening to anything anyone thought I might like. I didn't LIKE a LOT of it - even most of it. I still can't stand Elvis, but I've heard some good rock-a-billy. Don't get me wrong, I have very curmudgeon tastes and I have very high standards. But I no longer limit them to genre. Just good music. And yes, of course I still am a jazz musician. I love, and eat that music for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But that's my livelihood, what of it there is. Listening to anything GOOD has broadened the scope of my music.

That's just me. Just sharing a point of view.

Hey people...one thing I've noticed is I never met a guitarists in my life that was 100% open to try any type of music... do you consider yourself like this....
I've always liked/ try to listen to all genres of music...I can 100% say that i'm open minded when it comes to music...
cheers! Most can't!
Look, I'd like to agree with you but that would make both of us wrong.

ALL KIDDING ASIDE...!!

I'm open minded, so long as it's not shyte ;)

I am certainly open minded.
I have always been open minded when it came to music.
I listen to a lot of genres,to me it has to sound good and genuine.
Most of today's commercial music is something I cannot stand but if someone
really tells me that I got to check out something new,that's doing well on the billboards
it is challenging for me to check it but I still do and at times I truly do find some stuff worth checking.

Generally most of the commercial music of today is something I can't appreciate due to the lack of creativity and
musicianship. But I certainly am open to good music.

Hey Henry,

I didn't say I'm not open to anything, I'm pretty openminded but some things just shut me down. I really like jazz, but some jazz i have never been able to get into, so I tune it out pretty quickly. Same thing with alot of the high gain stuff on here. these guys play great and some of the songs I can get into, but when I hear the screaming ghoul sounding vocals, I'm moving on. I just don't get that stuff. I grew up playing bluegrass and rock. Like some of it, can't stand some of it.

But I will say one thing, I always thought Elvis Presley's tunes were too silly to listen to. But I went to an Elvis charity event in January and was blown away. I was totally surprised because my wife and I had such a great time, it was the highlight of our trip. I think it was seeing how the crowd reacted and the tunes just got catchy then. After we got home, I bought about 8 Elvis collections and now we play them friday nights just as much as our jazz stuff. It's pretty funny to me. I'm an Elvis nut now!

Music is what you make of it and it's different for everyone. To try to apply some kind of standard is useless because when you really look at it from far enough away, well to me anyways, it's all pretty silly I just try to enjoy things the best I can and don't worry about it too much.

Yeah that's great. I understand and that's really cool.

From a pretty early age I got the serious jazz bug. I was about 13 actually. Some music was pretty out there but I devoted a lot of time in trying to figure it out and expand my ears. I listened to inside and outside jazz and out there classical music. So I had already kind of trained myself into listening KIND OF open mindedly, in a very limited way, to music that might not have appealed to naturally right off the bat. So it was much easier applying this method of listening hard before passing judgement

But I have a blind spot with Elvis. There's been the odd song I've liked, but that hardly counter balances the rest!

I can't qualify in percentages where I am.What I can say is as I have gotten older I have let go of alot of previous musical prejudice's.Some of it has come from interacting and performing with other musicians of different styles.Most of it has come because of the ease of accessing all kinds of music on youtube,forums and satellite radio.I tend to think of music as an emotional language.When someone speaks it well it communicates much no matter which genre.Sometimes I think I am a handicapped listener because I play an instrument.But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Back
Top Bottom