Are we blessed, or what?

My fav "hidden" feature of the week, in the advanced tab of the drive block, try changing the clipping model of your favorite model to "HV tube".

JWW

JWDubois said:
My fav "hidden" feature of the week, in the advanced tab of the drive block, try changing the clipping model of your favorite model to "HV tube".JWW
I've been using that for more than a year now. I start with "tape drive," set the clipping mode to "HV tube," Drive moderate, Level as appropriate for the amp block it's driving, and I've got another tube gain stage, complete with EQ.

I think the most underused feature that I should use or at least experiment with more often is the Tonestack Type on the Advanced page for the Amp. I get so enthralled with the other tweaking options for the Amp that I never get around to trying that one, while it can give the thing totally different characteristics.

Dutch said:
Jay! And you neglected to tell us? Shame on you!
I've mentioned it at least once, both here and on TGP.

There are so many things to discover in the Axe-Fx that there's not enough time to describe it all.

Jay

Here's another tip: cascade one amp block into another. Turn off "Sag" in the first one. Now you've got an extra preamp feeding your amp, which opens up an incredible spectrum of gain staging. For example, think Twin Reverb preamp, with Plexi tonestack set to "post," feeding a Plexi 2 with default settings. The possibilities exceed anything one person could hope to explore in a lifetime.

Jay Mitchell said:
Here's another tip: cascade one amp block into another. Turn off "Sag" in the first one. Now you've got an extra preamp feeding your amp, which opens up an incredible spectrum of gain staging.

Now that's a hell of an idea!!!

Billy Corgan used to try to do something similar by feeding one Marshall JMP-1 into a second JMP-1.

Damn I can't wait to get home now!

Jay Mitchell said:
Here's another tip: cascade one amp block into another. Turn off "Sag" in the first one. Now you've got an extra preamp feeding your amp, which opens up an incredible spectrum of gain staging. For example, think Twin Reverb preamp, with Plexi tonestack set to "post," feeding a Plexi 2 with default settings. The possibilities exceed anything one person could hope to explore in a lifetime.

Cool tip!

Jay Mitchell said:

Indeed a very cool idea, thanks.

Jay Mitchell said:
Here's another tip: cascade one amp block into another. Turn off "Sag" in the first one. Now you've got an extra preamp feeding your amp, which opens up an incredible spectrum of gain staging.
Might actually get me the Dumble tones I've been looking for!

Jay Mitchell said:
Dutch said:
Jay! And you neglected to tell us? Shame on you!
I've mentioned it at least once, both here and on TGP.

There are so many things to discover in the Axe-Fx that there's not enough time to describe it all.

Jay

humph... and I'm only on day 2..... now I'm an official "newb", but loving it!

aleclee said:
Might actually get me the Dumble tones I've been looking for!
I was thinking D****e when I began experimenting with this setup, which mirrors mods I did to several of my tube amps back in the day. Working out all the subtleties is a major time-consumer, however. For the past few months I've spent most of my available time practicing rather than tweaking. I know there's a lot of potential there, however, and I'll be returning to the concept in the near future, as soon as time becomes available.

yek said:
Jay Mitchell said:

Indeed a very cool idea, thanks.

Nice. Thanks for the nugget J.

godprobe said:
I think the most underused feature that I should use or at least experiment with more often is the Tonestack Type on the Advanced page for the Amp. I get so enthralled with the other tweaking options for the Amp that I never get around to trying that one, while it can give the thing totally different characteristics.

Yeah, changing the tonestack can really alter the amp, even if you have all the tone controls set near flat.

One I really like is the tube bias. And of course the HF resonance.

Back
Top Bottom