Are there IEMs that will give me the same big tone as my CLR?

guitarjim

Experienced
I am in the process of switching over to IEMs and I've been practicing with them. I'm using the stock ear-buds that came with my Audio Technical M3M. The sound is good, but I can already tell that I'm going to miss the tone of my Atomic CLR which really motivated me to play my best and made the gigs more fun. We are switching to IEMs for some very good reasons and I don't want to distract the topic of this thread with those. The question is, have you guys found some ear buds that sound awesome with the Axe?

I'm in the middle of this dilemma as well. I'm going from a CLR to IEM's, and I'm not exactly sure which ones to pick, as there are so many manufacturers making these things.

Im leaning toward westones ac20's, anyone have any knowledge on the quality?

I called a few audiologists and the cheapest I could find for getting my ears filled with foam for the molds was 75.00 an ear at miracle ear, does anyone know any cheaper?

I just hope this transition doesn't suck.

Scott,

Keep me posted on your experience and I'll do the same. I'm lucky that I'm not bounded by budget (I don't play guitar for a living ;)), so I'm willing to spend what I need to. Afterall, the CLR wasn't cheap, I don't expect to get that tone from something that is.

I just got a set of 1964 Ears V3s (3-way custom mold IEMs). I won't bother comparing to my CLR since IEMs are a significantly different experience. I have logged a ton of AxeFx time with my Beyerdynamic headphones and can tell you that the 1964s offer a comparable experience.

Yep, as aleclee above says, they are a different experience - movement of air and all that... but you do adapt and can still enjoy the experience
thumbsup.gif

I bought some Aurisonic ASG-2 - my first 'proper' IEMs and totally awesome. They're not cheap, but way cheaper that some of the commonly bounced options
thumbsup.gif
I went for the generic fit as opposed to custom mould - supposedly suitable for 90% of ears - sure enough, great fit and isolation

Not going to be the same, will be like listening to an ipod. I would at least get dual drivers, triple if you can afford. Ear mixes are usually hard to get setup properly unless you run your own sound. I've got my own ear rack with my wireless, a dbx iem processor and a shure mic mixer and some splitter cables so I can split off my vocal mic, and guitars, and I have it sounding pretty good, but what you get back from the FOH for the rest of the band is always iffy.

Guess what I'm saying is, you could spend over 1k on iem's and still have shitty sound, lots of things come into play. garbage in garbage out.

What do you guys think of the Sensaphonics 3Max?
3MAX | Sensaphonics

I kind of like of the idea of the mold being made out of silicone, they are $1,050 and three driver, so the are not cheap, I think I spent around that much for my CLR.

You know when you spend this kind of money, you kind of want to make sure that they will exceed your expectations a little, since they are made custom and will hopefully be with you forever, meaning that all you should ever have to replace is the audio chord going to the molds. Its already a sacrifice having to stick things in your ear and be cut off to the outside world. When I was at the 22,000 member church I was using Shure E4's or E5's and they sounded ok, but the Inner voice while I was playing was stinking loud, if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't personally do the silicone, stay with the hard stuff.. if they are properly fitted, you don't even feel them. I couldn't see how the silicone would last.

I'm completely confused trying to figure these out. I don't really understand how all of the different models from the various manufacturers compare. With the 1964's, they have the V6 Stage and the V6, then they have the V8, which is their top of the line. Well, what is so special about the V6 S for stage and does that characteristic exist in the V8 model also? If the V6S is made for stage use, then why would someone get the V8 and use them for stage?

Then I found Ultimate Ears (more expensive), but they have a reference version, which is like the in-ear version of FRFR. I thought that would be perfect, since I run FRFR and the PA is FRFR. With these, I should be getting the closest possible tone to my CLR, right? Well they don't even promote these for stage use, only for sound engineers. Why?

If the good IEMs were only $100, I wouldn't worry too much about making a mistake, but at 10 times that amount, it's pretty terrifying.

What do you guys think of the Sensaphonics 3Max?
3MAX | Sensaphonics

I LOVE the Sensaphonics. After first using a few of the acrylic IEMs, I will never go back. Very comfortable and isolate very well. They are made out of a medical grade silicone and don't degrade or discolor as far as I know. My original set is about 6 yrs old now and look and feel as they did when they were new. I think they sound better too but may be because of the improved isolation with the silicone. I use the 2MAX. Our bassist now uses the 3MAX and would tell you a similar story.

I LOVE the Sensaphonics. After first using a few of the acrylic IEMs, I will never go back. Very comfortable and isolate very well. They are made out of a medical grade silicone and don't degrade or discolor as far as I know. My original set is about 6 yrs old now and look and feel as they did when they were new. I think they sound better too but may be because of the improved isolation with the silicone. I use the 2MAX. Our bassist now uses the 3MAX and would tell you a similar story.

So when you went to get your molds made, did you go to someone on their list, or did you find the cheapest closest audiologist? Do they all do it the same? We have a lot of old folks in Arizona in Sun city which is close, so I assume I would be able to find tons of Audiologists in my area, I was trying to figure out if I could get my insurance to pay for it as well since it supposed to protect my hearing. So many questions. The fact that you have had the one pair for six years says a lot about the quality of the silicone. So the 2max you find to be sufficient with the low end?

I apologize for all the questions, this is very new world for me, and I don't want to be ignorant about it, so I ask.

The key to in ears in my opinion is a very quality mold. The tighter the fit the less low end leaks out and the bigger your tone will feel.
Stereo makes a huge difference in both sound quality and mix separation. Without stereo the mix can get muddy very easily.

As far as what ear buds to get, I hate to say it but my philosophy now is go big or go home. I spent tons of money slowly upgrading from stock ear buds, to dual drivers, to triple drivers, to middle of the road ear buds. I finally pulled the trigger on JH AUDIO 16's and was happy. It took that to get me where I wanted to be.

Controlling your own mix is very important obviously.

I also have my RCF monitor behind me to create a little low end rumble down by my feet. It's amazing how a loud speaker is not just about sound but feel as well. Give it a try.

As far as an audiologist and getting the ear impression done, its kind of hit or miss I hate to say. They need to know what they are doing. I'd try and call around and get pricing from different places. I got mine done for $25 for the pair. But I'd also make sure they look like they know what the hell they are doing. They need to follow the ear impression directions perfectly. At least for Jh audio buds they do. There is a specific open mouth process they need done and I'm sure other ear bud companies require as well.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One other thing, I'd stay away from any Vented or ported ear buds. They are supposed to add in some stage volume for less isolation but they end up sucking the life out of your low end and your tone will sound small and thin.

I never tried sensaphonics but I hear great things and if I remember correctly they are ported but its a different technology they use a micing system to mix in stage volume. I heard the isolation with those buds are good as well.

And for gods sake please don't spend any money on either Livewires or Fidelity in ears. Biggest piece of garbage I've ever used. They used to be the same company but split off into two so both are pretty much the same. I wasted $400 on those trips

The key to in ears in my opinion is a very quality mold. The tighter the fit the less low end leaks out and the bigger your tone will feel.
Stereo makes a huge difference in both sound quality and mix separation. Without stereo the mix can get muddy very easily.

As far as what ear buds to get, I hate to say it but my philosophy now is go big or go home. I spent tons of money slowly upgrading from stock ear buds, to dual drivers, to triple drivers, to middle of the road ear buds. I finally pulled the trigger on JH AUDIO 16's and was happy. It took that to get me where I wanted to be.

Controlling your own mix is very important obviously.

I also have my RCF monitor behind me to create a little low end rumble down by my feet. It's amazing how a loud speaker is not just about sound but feel as well. Give it a try.

As far as an audiologist and getting the ear impression done, its kind of hit or miss I hate to say. They need to know what they are doing. I'd try and call around and get pricing from different places. I got mine done for $25 for the pair. But I'd also make sure they look like they know what the hell they are doing. They need to follow the ear impression directions perfectly. At least for Jh audio buds they do. There is a specific open mouth process they need done and I'm sure other ear bud companies require as well.

Hope this helps.

The $25 a pair was that a national chain? My cheapest quote has been $75 dollars per Ear from Miracle Ear which I think is a national chain. That seems kinda high, but what do I know.

The $25 a pair was that a national chain? My cheapest quote has been $75 dollars per Ear from Miracle Ear which I think is a national chain. That seems kinda high, but what do I know.

No it was a a women who had her own office. Small audiologist office but very good. The chains are a rip off in price. I called a bunch and they were all $50 to $75 per ear.

Jh audio usually has 15% off sales a few times a year. I got mine the week of thanksgiving for 15% off. Pretty nice savings

Back
Top Bottom