Are strymon like reverbs really possible?

naka2112

Inspired
How do you get a "cloud" or "shimmer" similar to the big sky? Is it possible? Maybe someone could upload a preset if they have been successful.

That's one of the things strymon has going for them that is better than fractal imo... They have instant amazing settings, most of them very usable and musical. I'm sure the fractal stuff can reproduce most of them but for people like me without much effect programming knowledge it's very difficult. It would be great if there were more types within block definition similar to the drives. Example, be able to choose electric mistress for a flanger type.

agreed. Thats how I feel. i know the FX8 is great but I just dont have enough knowledge to make it sound that way.

Have you tried the multi delay? On my Axe-Fx I use the a parallel routing where one path goes into a multi-delay -> filter (to remove unwanted lows) -> reverb (with long tail at 100% mix). The result is really close to the Big Sky, I personally prefer what I get out of the Axe-fx.

I'm certain that the Fractal Audio products are capable of the same sounds (maybe not all of the El Capistan ones...), but it is a matter of programming them. I'm still really pleased with what I can get out of my Axe FX with limited knowledge. I'm blown away at what some users are capable of. Those complex patches are amazing. I always learn something from them.

Last edited:
Many of the guru's here, not me, have gotten there and posted....search a bit. IIRC, they also explained how they got there. I don't have time to search and I am very happy with what I have. If the presets were in the axe and fx8, would I use them--you can bet I would.

Nice post by chucma above.

Have you tried the multi delay? On my Axe-Fx I use the a parallel routing where one path goes into a multi-delay -> filter (to remove unwanted lows) -> reverb (with long tail at 100% mix). The result is really close to the Big Sky, I personally prefer what I get out of the Axe-fx.

A series-parallel path even as simple as you've described isn't currently possible on the FX8. Each block can be series or parallel with the block before it, you can't run a whole series of effects that is parallel with the dry or main path. The only workarounds are if your post pre-amp setup is itself parallel to your dry path (so, a parallel FX loop or a wet/dry rig).

Last edited:
A series-parallel path even as simple as you've described isn't currently possible on the FX8. Each block can be series or parallel with the block before it, you can't run a whole series of effects that is parallel with the dry or main path. The only workarounds are if your post pre-amp setup is itself parallel to your preamp (so, a parallel FX loop or a wet/dry rig).

Aah sorry, I didn't realise that! There must be some way to do it, or hopefully Cliff will release an update that will help.

I posted my attempt at a strymon type verb in the sticky thread at the top of the FX8 forum. Maybe if we all share our attempts, we'll get there.

I think the problem is we can't really run the multidelay pitchflex, chorus and reverb completely parallel to the dry mix. I think the way to achieve the cloud type stuff is to be able to have the delays alone pitchflexed, chorused and then reverbed -all the while the dry signal would be left intact, and mixed with the aforementioned wet signal. I am almost certain that the parallel routing of the fx8 does not allow this.

How do you get a "cloud" or "shimmer" similar to the big sky? Is it possible? Maybe someone could upload a preset if they have been successful.

Try a MLT DLY block Plex Detune set at 1/4 first, 1/4 Dot second, 1/8 third and 1/8 Dot fourth > feed into a REV block set at "Ambience" with 8 seconds, echo density 8 and mix 30-40%. Let me know, this is how I try to dial in the "puffs" that the Strymon does.

Try a MLT DLY block Plex Detune set at 1/4 first, 1/4 Dot second, 1/8 third and 1/8 Dot fourth > feed into a REV block set at "Ambience" with 8 seconds, echo density 8 and mix 30-40%. Let me know, this is how I try to dial in the "puffs" that the Strymon does.

That would probably sound great, except see post #7 above.

Had a Strymon Big Sky and sold it. Eventide Space just killed it. Imho, there was no comparison. If it's a shimmer reverb you want, model Eventide's.

Back
Top Bottom