Are PEQ's a necessity or am I doing it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
marshall2553 said:
I started out using S/PDIF but switched to XLR just to eliminate that as an issue. My setup is an EMU 0404 going into a Mac Pro with KRK 5" monitors and I'm recording in Ableton Live Intro and Garageband.

You're not still using SPDIF are you? I was using SPDIF with my 1820m and getting high-end sizzle distortion, that went away when I switched over to balanced outs.

KG MD said:
Sorry this wasn't the answer - my point is you CAN have internal clipping in the Axe and the indicator on the front panel will not show it. For example, if you have a Level in one block is quite high, such as is the case where the Master Volume in the amp block is turned up, but your master level for the patch is low, it can cause a clipping artifact.
It sounds like your the patches you are having trouble with are fairly simple (amp-cab), so this doesn't sound like it is the solution.

KG

Well I wasn't clipping in the AxeFX but I'm starting to think it may still be a clipping issue. The signal level on my audio interface never showed clipping but I backed the output knob on the AxeFX down a little and raised the input gain on the interface to compensate and I seem to be getting much better results. The tone is less distant and the highs are sweet sounding. I need to go back and try some of the patches that were really bad to double check but I'm pretty happy so far.

marshall2553 said:
KG MD said:
Sorry this wasn't the answer - my point is you CAN have internal clipping in the Axe and the indicator on the front panel will not show it. For example, if you have a Level in one block is quite high, such as is the case where the Master Volume in the amp block is turned up, but your master level for the patch is low, it can cause a clipping artifact.
It sounds like your the patches you are having trouble with are fairly simple (amp-cab), so this doesn't sound like it is the solution.

KG

Well I wasn't clipping in the AxeFX but I'm starting to think it may still be a clipping issue. The signal level on my audio interface never showed clipping but I backed the output knob on the AxeFX down a little and raised the input gain on the interface to compensate and I seem to be getting much better results. The tone is less distant and the highs are sweet sounding. I need to go back and try some of the patches that were really bad to double check but I'm pretty happy so far.

I'd also suggest downloading a patch where you also have a clip of someone else playing on through that patch. Try it out with your system - it WON'T sound exactly the same (at least it never has for me), but if your system does or doesn't introduce the problems you are referring to, it might provide some direction.

I'm also a little confused by your statement. Are you running into your audio interface first, then out to the speakers? I'd suggest just going straight Axe-speaker to see if that eliminates the issue. If it does, you know the audio interface is the problem.

KG

KG MD said:
I'd also suggest downloading a patch where you also have a clip of someone else playing on through that patch. Try it out with your system - it WON'T sound exactly the same (at least it never has for me), but if your system does or doesn't introduce the problems you are referring to, it might provide some direction.

I'm also a little confused by your statement. Are you running into your audio interface first, then out to the speakers? I'd suggest just going straight Axe-speaker to see if that eliminates the issue. If it does, you know the audio interface is the problem.
KG
I downloaded several patches from the forum and all of them had a similar problem. Is it possible to overdrive the inputs on an audio interface without it indicating that it is clipping? That is what it is starting to look like.

I usually play through my guitar cab, this whole issue came up when I started recording. So yes, I'm running the Axe into my interface and then monitoring it from there.

Well, I "was doing it wrong", lowering the output gain on the AxeFx solved my problem. I'm now getting stellar direct tones using the stock cabs and no EQ. :D I never saw any indication of clipping but that seems to be what was going on. Looks like Avenyr and I have different issues, but I did notice the same thing he's hearing when I tried FRFR with a QSC K12. If I could have gotten that thing to sound like what I'm hearing through my KRK's I would have been ecstatic. Anyway, thanks to all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom