Are most of you gigging with your FM9's?

dsouza

Experienced
Just wondering what percentage of people on this forum are gigging with their FM9's and how many are using it recreationally at home or in the studio?

If you have been gigging with it do you find it very reliable? How solid is the latest FW update 5.1? Does your FM9 act up at gigs or do your gigs go smoothly with it?

Last edited:
You should add a poll :)
I'm using it at home on a daily basis and practicing or gigging every week. Never had a problem live (have it almost 1,5 year) and mostly install betas as soon as they appear.
At home i have some troubles with USB, which have been discussed in other threads and conversation... I don't use it anymore for audio, only for FM9-EDIT.
I noticed yesterday that i still have 5.0 so will be updating after the weekend.

Just wondering what percetage of people on this forum are gigging with their FM9's and how many are using it recreationally at home or in the studio?

If you have been gigging with it do you find it very reliable? How solid is the latest FW update 5.1? Does your FM9 act up at gigs or do your gigs go smoothly with it?
Using it for everything, very reliable. just get a reliable road case, it deserves it.

I gig with mine at least monthly, sometimes a little more often. It's pretty much been rock solid - no major hiccups. I'm on 5.1 right now - no show stopper issues.

I don’t remember my Fractals ever having broken down due to a design or manufacturing defect because they’re built really well. Said differently, every problem I’ve ever had when using one of my Fractals was my own fault or because of another human but the Fractal survived without any problems. The cables didn’t survive.

My previous brand’s equivalent modeler broke and ended up in the shop waiting for parts for over a year, and the shop was an authorized repair for that brand. “Previous” is the key word. Fractal designs their modelers for use and reliability on pro-stages by working professionals in their working conditions and they stand behind them.

Do I abuse them? No, they’re computers on the inside and that’s never a good idea. I have good bags and cases when transporting them for protection, and a spare or backup if the show must go on, just like I do with a guitar or amp. I think they’re more robust than a tube amp, and given the same care will outlast the amp without degradation.

The firmware has always done what I expected. I leave a little CPU headroom in my presets so the system can run as designed, just as I do when using my computer and when I was programming and managing them. If I take away that headroom then I deserve the problems when they come.

You should add a poll :)
I'm using it at home on a daily basis and practicing or gigging every week. Never had a problem live (have it almost 1,5 year) and mostly install betas as soon as they appear.
At home i have some troubles with USB, which have been discussed in other threads and conversation... I don't use it anymore for audio, only for FM9-EDIT.
I noticed yesterday that i still have 5.0 so will be updating after the weekend.
What do you mean your USB port broke down (You say you have trouble with USB)?

Last edited:
Not yet?

As I type this my trusty FM3 is in my road case awaiting its next outing at a rehearsal or gig. It has served well and faithfully for about 9 months.

But GAS, curiosity, and a little (but not a lot) of the tone-chasing bug compelled me to ask for an FM9T which a very nice person procured for me as a birthday gift.

In one of those all-too-frequent ironies I had developed what I might call 'foot macros' in advancing through presets & scenes during gigs with the FM3 (as well as having the tuner readily accessible) but that has not been without its risks. When a tap inadvertently becomes a hold then it can be hard to find the way back to the 'base' footswitch configuration - especially mid-song! In one instance I unwittingly switched my way back to the wrong preset for the song being played - hilarity & embarrassment ensued. In another instance I unwittingly switched to...an empty preset. As in dead air. Less hilarity and more panic at that point.

This is a long way of saying that the FM9 will become the gig rig by sheer dint of footswitch availability but I also look forward to expanding the preset horizons.

Yup, I gig mine a couple times a month. Get a case- you'll be glad for it!
I've literally never had a single thing to wrong with my FM9. Now that I think about it, I don't ever remember having a problem with my Axe 3 either, or my II, or my old Standard. I've had cables go bad, and more than a couple "duh" moments, but the hardware actually failing...? Knock on wood, I don't think I've ever had an issue...

Not yet?

As I type this my trusty FM3 is in my road case awaiting its next outing at a rehearsal or gig. It has served well and faithfully for about 9 months.

But GAS, curiosity, and a little (but not a lot) of the tone-chasing bug compelled me to ask for an FM9T which a very nice person procured for me as a birthday gift.

In one of those all-too-frequent ironies I had developed what I might call 'foot macros' in advancing through presets & scenes during gigs with the FM3 (as well as having the tuner readily accessible) but that has not been without its risks. When a tap inadvertently becomes a hold then it can be hard to find the way back to the 'base' footswitch configuration - especially mid-song! In one instance I unwittingly switched my way back to the wrong preset for the song being played - hilarity & embarrassment ensued. In another instance I unwittingly switched to...an empty preset. As in dead air. Less hilarity and more panic at that point.

This is a long way of saying that the FM9 will become the gig rig by sheer dint of footswitch availability but I also look forward to expanding the preset horizons.
If you use the Songs and Setlists layout you will have an even easier time with performance.

Yup, I gig mine a couple times a month. Get a case- you'll be glad for it!
I've literally never had a single thing to wrong with my FM9. Now that I think about it, I don't ever remember having a problem with my Axe 3 either, or my II, or my old Standard. I've had cables go bad, and more than a couple "duh" moments, but the hardware actually failing...? Knock on wood, I don't think I've ever had an issue...
This is an excellent testimony to the power of Fractal Audio Systems.

I have only used the AX8 for a year and just now got my FM9T but I have had no hardware problems with either of them.

Granted they are both in my studio and don't get moved around a lot.

Back
Top Bottom