Are amp blocks accurate to the original when opened or am i meant to adjust settings?

hughj

Inspired
I am trying to create a preset of every amp sim in the box and, because i have no first hand experience with the majority of them, was wondering if they are accurate right away or meant to be tweaked to sound right. I'm not talking about basic settings but power options and dynamics and things i would normally not touch. This is in no way a criticism about this fabulous machine, i just want to make sure that i am creating an accurate representation of the amps.

Hi Hughj!

Well, like yourself, I haven't had the luck to have played all of the modeled amps in person so I can't tell you from experience that they're all exact. But from what I know from reading the forums and Cliff's remarks, he has digitally built these amps from the schematics and engineering of the originals, so technically he should have developed the modeled version to reflect the actual electronics of the real amp. How exact is translating real world electronics to a digital realm... well, that's for the amazing minds of the electronic engineering world to figure out and know, but I can just trust that these things are correct.

I will add though... sometimes I've read comments relating to the fact that a certain amp "supposedly" doesn't sound like the real one at all, from the perspective of someone that actually owns a real one that has been modeled in the Fractal. Again, I can't say for sure, but I know that the Carvin Legacy was one amp that I do personally own and many were saying that there was a potential issue with the modeled amp where the modeled amp in the AFX didn't sound anything like the real one. I suppose there can always be that issue and that's where things can be adjusted in FW updates.

Good luck in getting all your presets made. I suppose one of the most difficult parts is finding what cabs best suit the chosen amp to give the best tone. Look forward to hearing more of your progress. :)

Adjust settings for sure. Just like a real amp. When you walk into a Guitar Center and sit down at an AC30 or a Deluxe Reverb, the odds that at "stock" settings, they're gonna be to your liking and not sound "off" is pretty low. You need to dial stuff in after the guy with the 7-string that thought he could play metal on it.

ahh..just saw that you meant not basic settings. sorry.

Also, make sure you know which amps are non-master amps. Those amps are meant to have the Master level at 10, to mimic the original amp.

I am trying to create a preset of every amp sim in the box and, because i have no first hand experience with the majority of them, was wondering if they are accurate right away or meant to be tweaked to sound right. I'm not talking about basic settings but power options and dynamics and things i would normally not touch. This is in no way a criticism about this fabulous machine, i just want to make sure that i am creating an accurate representation of the amps.

May be this quote from the manual answers your question:
5.1 Amp
''Advanced parameters offer deeper control, but don’t be put off by these at first: their values are “set right” for all
models by default.''

May be this quote from the manual answers your question: 5.1 Amp ''Advanced parameters offer deeper control, but don’t be put off by these at first: their values are “set right” for all models by default.''

It's true that they're set right, but with many tube amps, particularly older ones, there are many variations of a particular amp both from difference in design over the years as well as differences in component values due to component tolerance differences and value drift over time. Different versions of a Fender BF Princeton or Tweed Deluxe can sound vastly different and still be legitimate versions of the amp. Some of the advanced parameters give you the power to tweak the amps that might get you more towards a version of an amp you like than the one offered. That said, I don't typically mess with them much any more. Occasionally the presence frequency, the amp modeling type, triode hardness and a couple of others.

Also, make sure you know which amps are non-master amps. Those amps are meant to have the Master level at 10, to mimic the original amp.

if you turn up your monitoring level to the same loudness, they mimic the original perfectly, because perceived loudness affects your playing and the way you dial in the sound comparing to the same loudness on the original amp. If you listen to the tones at low volume, thanks to the axefx internal poweramp modeling they all seems to clip very fast, but that's exactly what they do in reality at the same settings - except your ear is unable to analyse it under such real world conditions. :) Real amps can be f****** loud :lol

Short answer: Yes.

Also, non-MV amps default to a Master Volume setting of 10 upon selection so you don't need to do anything in that regard.

Reactions: DTS
Back
Top Bottom