April Wine's lead sound in this song...

kmachman

Inspired
Does anyone have any idea what they are using for lead guitar effects in this song? Almost sounds like a stuck wah, but i cant seem to even get close with it.

The only effects I hear are fuzz, Delay and Reverb. Sounds like they’ve rolled off the highs a bit.

First let me say no one has been a bigger EVH fan since 1978. BUT, we need more presets like April Wine, Neil Schon’s sound on infinity, departure and Evolution, Vivian Campbells Riverdog stuff!
Probably nothing “different” about them but be honest, is anyone excited when you go to Exchange and there is one more EVH or Gilmour preset?

Love April Wine - They were/are based not far from here - seen them many times over the years - always excellent. I think I hear some flanger maybe, and fuzz or Rat pedal. Gave the tone a whirl with bender fuzz into Hiwatt (only amp I could find that smooths out the gravelly/spittyness of the fuzz enough). To get the fuzz more direct sounding as mentioned above, I cranked up the Cab's Air parameter to simulate some cabless mixed in. Gets kind of in the ballpark I think. The clip (excuse my butchering of the intro lick) is done with Gibson SG 498T bridge pup w tone rolled off a bit. Preset+Clip/ClipDI attached.

Attachments

• AWToneSample.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
  • AWTone.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Love April Wine - They were/are based not far from here - seen them many times over the years - always excellent. I think I hear some flanger maybe, and fuzz or Rat pedal. Gave the tone a whirl with bender fuzz into Hiwatt (only amp I could find that smooths out the gravelly/spittyness of the fuzz enough). To get the fuzz more direct sounding as mentioned above, I cranked up the Cab's Air parameter to simulate some cabless mixed in. Gets kind of in the ballpark I think. The clip (excuse my butchering of the intro lick) is done with Gibson SG 498T bridge pup w tone rolled off a bit. Preset+Clip/ClipDI attached.

Oh nice. I can’t wait to give this a try. Thank you very much.

I added a parametric EQ to get that slight wah sound in the tone. The second PEQ i add to all my solo presets for better articulation and tone. I think that, along with your creation, it is now perfect. Thank you so much. The finished preset is attached if you are interested. :)

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 6.14.00 PM.png

Attachments

• April Wine Fuzzy Lead 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
I added a parametric EQ to get that slight wah sound in the tone. The second PEQ i add to all my solo presets for better articulation and tone. I think that, along with your creation, it is now perfect. Thank you so much. The finished preset is attached if you are interested. :)

View attachment 112991

Nice improvements! 👍👍 Below is an updated tone sample using the DI from the original preset sample I posted above, and reamp'd through your revised preset for comparison (was a bit hot for my system so I made a 4db quieter version attached).

The PEQs you added definitely get it sounding closer to my ear - great!

Attachments

• AWTone2.zip
    4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom