Apple sliding?

Your 2nd sentence pretty much contradicts your 1st post. I think that I know what you are trying to say but it is clumsily worded and I can't discern why you decided to bring this discussion into the Fractal sphere. What's up?

Your 2nd sentence pretty much contradicts your 1st post. I think that I know what you are trying to say but it is clumsily worded and I can't discern why you decided to bring this discussion into the Fractal sphere. What's up?
No, they aren't making cool products anymore, is what was meant. You can read it how ever you want. And the Lounge is for anything that is off topic. Pets dying, New products etc....

Apple doesn't have the same innovation as when Jobs was at the helm but they're still a solid company. They make a lot of money in services which takes the stress off constantly having to introduce new and better products.

That said I have been avoiding most funds that are cap weighted because I feel the FAANGS are all overvalued, Apple included but especially FB, GOOG and AMZN.

Normally I suggest S&P 500 index funds like VOO but the FAANGS make up too much of them so now I'm recommending funds that limit their exposure to them like EUSA, DGRO, VPU, etc.

The market in general is overvalued. Earnings are at record levels so P/E's should be in line with historic norms but P/E's are about 20-30% greater than the historic median. A pullback is overdue.

Apple doesn't have the same innovation as when Jobs was at the helm but they're still a solid company. They make a lot of money in services which takes the stress off constantly having to introduce new and better products.

That said I have been avoiding most funds that are cap weighted because I feel the FAANGS are all overvalued, Apple included but especially FB, GOOG and AMZN.

Normally I suggest S&P 500 index funds like VOO but the FAANGS make up too much of them so now I'm recommending funds that limit their exposure to them like EUSA, DGRO, VPU, etc.

The market in general is overvalued. Earnings are at record levels so P/E's should be in line with historic norms but P/E's are about 20-30% greater than the historic median. A pullback is overdue.

They are definitely profitable....that's not up for debate. But agreed that the innovation is not there. They also seem to hold back on the software upgrades and piece-meal it so much....every year opening up just a little more, but never much at once, IMO. IOS is very tired. But still better than Android if only for the continuity and Apple's software being made just for its devices.

Maybe the smart phone market is saturated? I have an Iphone X 256gig from last year....this year I just didn't care to upgrade as it was very incremental(as S cycles are). But typically I upgrade just to upgrade and did not this year. Over the speed and slimmest battle! Just make a battery that lasts 2 days of crazy use!

I have an 2011 Imac 27 inch desktop and will be sad when it dies someday as they new ones have more taken away than they add IMO.

I bought a muni bond fund for the first time ever. Nodding my head in general agreement on the FAANGS being overvalued and too much of the US market funds these days.

Sure they do. They remove ports, drives and ability to upgrade on own certain parts. That is a lot!
They added new port types that are backwards compatible with all previous types. All user-replaceable parts in a 2011 iMac remain user-replaceable in a 2017 iMac. Drives? Drives are stil present and in much bigger capacity and better performance.

And then a 5k screen, graphics chipset, processor updates, network chipset updates...its a long list.

I’m not going to keep arguing with your hyperbole. There’s some parable I should be listening to here....

37C46D07-6E08-4FA8-9FF6-C80F600365FC.jpeg Whadda ya mean? They are perfectly user upgradeable. Here’s me upgrading the hard drive on my iMac.

Last edited:
Sure they do. They remove ports, drives and ability to upgrade on own certain parts. That is a lot!

Apple isn’t targeting the user modding market. You can assemble a PC much cheaper. Apple goes for elegant integration and computers that “just work”.

Apple devices aren’t generic computers. They are crafted in such a way that they are consistent among devices. If you have a late 2012 iMac or newer, I know it’s a thin model without a cd drive and certain ports. Before that, it’s thicker with drive and different ports, processors, features etc. I personally love this consistency because I can go on any machine and know exactly what to expect. With a PC, who knows what this or that has, except for the Surface series and similar, which clearly was designed with a similar approach of consistency.

Every device isn’t for everyone. Macs are made a certain way, and I see many people buy a Mac and then complain that it isn’t a PC, basically. It’s not a PC. It’s not made for modding, it’s not made to be inexpensive. It has a specific hardware design, and the new models overtime have been redefining what a computer should look like and how it should perform. Has every single product been a home run? Not at all - one was a trash can, literally haha. But hasn’t Apple’s influence improved computer design in the entire industry? I think so.

I have friends who love the Surface series and I don’t think it would have been designed quite the same way if the iPad had not been introduced. The iPhone has clearly influenced the cell phone market since day one. I don’t care what Samsung says haha. Look at how android devices were designed before the iPhone and then after - clearly a heavy influence. The all-in-one computer was laughed at before the iMac came out, and again, the Surface Studio and similar now exist.

Removing ports you use on the new models, yeah that’s annoying because it interrupts your work flow. But I can’t imagine having FireWire 800 on a computer today, or PCMCIA slots for sliding hardrive cards and internet hotspots into a laptop, or even a CD drive wasting space. All of that went away. I think the move to all USB-C was a bold one, and yes we are in dongle hell. But it’s the port of the very near future and much more capable. The transition needs to begin at some point if we want any progression.

How do you feel about VTSAX or VTI?

That's where I have 90% of my total investments

I don't use apple because my old company culture was PC and we went with the android phones, and I just stuck with it. I didn't like the way iTunes seemed to take over my computer. But my wife loves her iPhone and will be upgrading soon. Trading in AAPL has been good for me and waiting for a little further drop to get back in.

Apple cuts iPhone targets every year, but usually they do it a few weeks later, when they can better estimate how much they’ll sell in the holiday quarter. Market predictably shits itself every year when they cut production. This is January and beyond production, mind you, holiday season is already locked.
The market is weird right now. I wanted to upgrade my iPad, but they’re sold out weeks in advance. I wanted to upgrade the NVIDIA GPU in my computer but I can’t buy one unless I pay 40% above MSRP and go with second tier manufacturers. This does not look like “excess inventory” to me.

I still use my 2009 iMac. Upgraded the RAM to 32GB, bumped the HD to 3GB (about to run out so another bump in order). I've swapped boards, CPU's and brought iMacs many back to life but I will say not real happy about Mojave dumping support for the older units.

Back
Top Bottom