Apple moves to ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohi

Experienced
I just got a MacBook Pro, so any hopes for a good resale value may have gone with the wind. I have many more questions than answers, particularly in the high end side of the things, computing that has a lot of HW load like Audio or Video processing, or CPU intensive requirements ... and what will happen with all those Thunderbolt devices???

Did somebody here lived the move to Intel back in the day? did it hurt?

yeah, i went through the move to intel. it wasn't so bad. just keep using what you're using until it's time to upgrade and then jump on the new path. all the stuff you use will eventually become obsolete. i've used floppy disks, zip drives, jaz drives, firewire disks, thunderbolt disks, flash drives, memory sticks, DAT tapes, MiniDisks, writable CD's, writable DVD's (with their associated hardware). watched movies on VHS tapes, BetaMax tapes, DVD's, listened to music on tape, vinyl, mp3, aac, flac, aiff and wav and recorded music by bouncing between two cassette tape machines. time marches on. it's best to roll with it, cos you can't fight it.

Thanks man, that was kind of comforting...

Yeah I remember loading games in the Spectrum 48K, and listening to Reign in Blood of Slayer, 28 minutes of glory, twice in the same tape thanks to auto reverse, I am that old.

I just got a bit worried because have spent a respectable amount of cash in the Macbook Pro and now Apple switches paths ... kind of scary, but I guess they will have to sell the Pro stuff with Intel for a while yet, let alone maintaining it .... particularly the huge investments on the Mac Pros.

I think in the long term it could be an excellent move - effectively Apple has one platform at a processor level through it's whole line.

Don't stress, your MacBook will work for years - just when you upgrade it will be different

Yep, VIC-20 and a 64. Peek'd and poke'd my first (and only) video game.

At work I had a PC made by a local company that used 12" floppy disks for both the operating system and the applications. There was a known timing issue the the hardware and every so often down she went.

Hope matt or cliff or one of the dev team gets their hands on that cute Developers Kit that has a Mini with the new processor inside ..toot suite

At one time code was transmitted over BBC radio, I recorded it on tape and transferred it to the computer, of course it sounded like a fax machine.
I've owned quite a few of the 8 bit computers includung that VIC 20 but this instance must have been for the BBC computer.
It took me ages to find out about peek and poke, had to buy a book in the end about memory mapped video modes.
What about the old CGA screens, magenta, black, cyan.
But all that was far in advance of when I was at college, we used log tables and mechanical calculators then.

oh and if anybody else out there remembers trying to load a program (written in basic) onto their home computer from a cassette tape. chime in!View attachment 69233

Yes.. my entry into computers. The tape drive was awesome.. wait i can now write something and not have to leave it on all night? :) I lusted after the 64 but alas could not afford it.

If it really bothers you, you could return your MacBook, but I'd just let it ride. The first ARM Macs won't appear until late this year at earliest. I expect the entire line won't transition to ARM until some time after that. Then, Intel Macs will be supported for years after that. When your Intel Mac is totally unsupported, it will also likely be obsolete and you'd be wanting to upgrade anyway.

Hard to find a comfortable home platform these days. Hundred and _______th look at Linux?
We've had really good results in my household with MX Linux.

Previously we used Zorin, which worked fine and I've recommended to others who were fearful about transitioning from Windows.

Before that we tried Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Mint and Ubuntu were hit-and-miss; and to be honest, it always pissed me off that there was some icon set or splash color left over from the default look-n-feel that it was a pain to get rid of. I didn't mind that with Zorin or MX Linux because I didn't mind their blues and grays. But Mint's green and Ubuntu's purple/brown/orange were nasty. Having Ubuntu was like living in someone's large intestine.

I hear good things about Robolinux, too, when it comes to running Mac/Win programs in a virtual OS.

Meeeeeee! The Math Lab at my school had TRS80 computers. The fancy new one the teachers and a few lucky students got to use had 64k of RAM and lower case letters!

i can't remember what we originally had at school, but everyone's eyes popped when we got some BBC Micros and we had colour!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom