appeal for a little calm

clarky

Axe-Master
guys...
I'm not really one to chime in about the firmware drops.. cos they don't worry me at all..
I think some folk really need to take a step back and try to be a little less anxious..
this is not a rant or a troll.. just a gentle appeal for a little calm..

a few things to consider...

it is totally possible to think you have something ready to go out the door and be utterly convinced that it's pretty much ready..
and so you announce that "it'll be available soon".. everyone one is excited of course [including FAS]..
and then at the 11th hour you find a bit of an issue that scuppers it's release.. disappointing for all.. [including FAS I'd imagine]
it's just one of those "sht happens" things
and of course I'm sure we'd all rather have a polished, refined and well tested drop later rather than something buggy rushed out the door just to keep the baying mob happy..

over the years, like you all I've been a customer of many manufacturers..
with some other manufacturers I am / have been a beta tester, demonstrator, clinician and even helped with development
when you buy something from a big corp like Roland, Korg, Yamaha you don't get updates full of new toys..
what you buy is what you get.. the very rare new load is usually to mend something that slipped through the quality control process..
but the unit itself is stood still.. it is what it is..

FAS though are doing things differently.. pretty revolutionary actually..
in all my years in the industry, I have never known any manufacturer to be so deeply hooked into their customer base..
to listen to them, communicate with them and interact with them, that closely and that often..
all of us here have the opportunity to suggest cool new ideas and suggestions..
how often do we see a manufacturer that hooked in to the desires and wishes of it's customers..?? for me this is a first...
we here are actually joining in with and involved with the development of this unit.. it's completely unheard of..
and how often will you be able to report an issue [even if it's only something not correctly understood or a config mistake] or ask for help / advice and actually have one of the developers reply..?
again.. it's seriously rare...

all the frustration and angst in the world will make little difference..
the firmware will arrive when FAS is convinced that it's as right as they can verify
well.. I guess it does make a difference.. the FW may still end up being released later than expected, but now folk are winding each other up and getting upset about it..

the Axe is already a superb unit as it stands...
and in the mean time...
just chill out, enjoy it for what it is until the next drop arrives..
and try not to get quite so fired up about all this..

just play through the Axe and love playing

Last edited:
Well said Clarky.

I'm looking forward to 9 like everyone else, but there's no need for me to keep posting about when it will be here, even if I did I'm sensible enough to know its not going to make any difference other than make me look like a dick.

I'll get it when it's released and till then, keep on rocking with V8. W all know Cliff and team are working their asses off to get Axe Edit an Fw9 + perhaps an MFC drop ready. But right now I seriously hope they are all relaxing and enjoying the Thanksgiving break with their families.

I'd rather FAS stop teasing us and drag stuff out. Don't say soon when it's not soon.

this is actually the point I'm trying to make...
it's not teasing or deliberately setting the wrong expectations...
no person or manufacturer would deliberately do this.. it's counter productive and makes no sense at all..
some things can't be helped..

just when you think you have everything nailed you can find something wrong...
so yes it is entirely possible to say "soon".. and then "ahhh... we found a little something that needs ironing out first.."

and of course the last thing we want is for FAS to feel like they have to impose communicative restrictions on themselves in order to prevent things on the forum getting a little out of control...

I personally would prefer FAS to keep going as they are...
I can't say that I've seem them make promises of specific delivery dates / times..
so beyond 'soon', no expectations are set in a realistic sense..

but it is nice and thought provoking to see what's in the pipeline..
it certainly helped me...
when I found out that the VH4 was coming, I deliberately held back from further work on my presets [and some recording work too] because I knew I'd be wanting this..
it saved me many many hours of effort that I know I'd want to re-address later had I not known that the VH4 was on it's way..

so maybe just take it at face value...
- you get to see all the cool things that are coming..
many of which can have serious impacts to your tone or approach to preset structure / functionality
so now you have time to take stock.. consider what these changes mean and determine if they can bring something extra to your config..
you can therefore make plans...

- 'soon'
it don't have to mean this week.. this month..
it's not like promises are made then broken...
and FAS aren't under any obligation to do all this for us..
they could quite easily adopt the same stance as the big fellas and just pop out the occasional bug fix...
thing is... they don't.. because it seems to me that they take huge pride in what they do and are striving to be, and to remain 'best in class'..

so... you've not been cheated, misled or lied to....
maybe just try to consider / plan for / look forward to what's coming..
and continue to enjoy upsetting the entire neighborhood with what you have..

I think Fractal should come up with a new forum rule:
If anyone overreacts, everyone will be killed!

that may work in Sweden...
but in the US I think they need permission from the authorities or some sort of license first..
and in the UK, they'd be taxed on it too.. could get costly

but in the US I think they need permission from the authorities or some sort of license first..

oh yea... back in good ol sweden we roam around naked... rape and plunder... haha
Well, actually, I think its one of the few countries that let RHCP out on stage with flea only wearing his... bass...

rock on Sweden!

and oh yea, love your posts clarky, spot on!

What I would not like is them trying to take months just to try and get out the last AE bug, while that may be totally impossible on the small team of testers... Accept there will be bugs. (not saying it's the case)

The "soon" statements that become months or even years are not for me either, even though besides AE it does not inconvenience me. It may be because I'm also on another board where this is always used (jokingly or not)...

OTOH, I don't know how they are even coming close already!
I've been working hard on a simple software and it's already becoming hell to keep up and organized. "To do" and "to fix" lists only grow.
I can imagine what it could be with something like Axe Edit... :mrgreen
And the stuff Cliff is doing in such little time does not even enter the discussion, that's out of this world :shock

this is actually the point I'm trying to make...
it's not teasing or deliberately setting the wrong expectations...
no person or manufacturer would deliberately do this.. it's counter productive and makes no sense at all..
some things can't be helped..

just when you think you have everything nailed you can find something wrong...
so yes it is entirely possible to say "soon".. and then "ahhh... we found a little something that needs ironing out first.."

and of course the last thing we want is for FAS to feel like they have to impose communicative restrictions on themselves in order to prevent things on the forum getting a little out of control...

I personally would prefer FAS to keep going as they are...
I can't say that I've seem them make promises of specific delivery dates / times..
so beyond 'soon', no expectations are set in a realistic sense..

but it is nice and thought provoking to see what's in the pipeline..
it certainly helped me...
when I found out that the VH4 was coming, I deliberately held back from further work on my presets [and some recording work too] because I knew I'd be wanting this..
it saved me many many hours of effort that I know I'd want to re-address later had I not known that the VH4 was on it's way..

so maybe just take it at face value...
- you get to see all the cool things that are coming..
many of which can have serious impacts to your tone or approach to preset structure / functionality
so now you have time to take stock.. consider what these changes mean and determine if they can bring something extra to your config..
you can therefore make plans...

- 'soon'
it don't have to mean this week.. this month..
it's not like promises are made then broken...
and FAS aren't under any obligation to do all this for us..
they could quite easily adopt the same stance as the big fellas and just pop out the occasional bug fix...
thing is... they don't.. because it seems to me that they take huge pride in what they do and are striving to be, and to remain 'best in class'..

so... you've not been cheated, misled or lied to....
maybe just try to consider / plan for / look forward to what's coming..
and continue to enjoy upsetting the entire neighborhood with what you have..

I deleted my post because I realized I didn't want to get dragged into a discussion. And then you choose to quote me on a few lines and not my whole post? Don't take stuff out of context, it's just a bad move.

Look, I've been here since pretty much day one, way back before there even was an Ultra. Over time, you get pretty tired of some of the ways FAS handle stuff (and I'm far from the only one who thinks that), lets just leave it at that. I'm too tired to get into an argument, and it's not going to lead anywhere.

Last edited:
I deleted my post because I realized I didn't want to get dragged into a discussion. And then you choose to quote on a few lines and no my whole post? Don't take stuff out of context, it's just a bad move.

Look, I've been here since pretty much day one, way back before there even was an Ultra. Over time, you get pretty tired of some of the ways FAS handle stuff, lets just leave it at that. I'm too tired to get into an argument, and it's not going to lead anywhere.

sorry if you think I was quoting you out of context..
it really wasn't my intention at all..
and I'm seriously hoping that none of this devolves into a running battle..

maybe starting this thread wasn't such a good idea..

If we're talking about "the guy with the most positive vibes on the internet", guitarnerd (aka ..., aka ..., aka ... ) would come to mind :)
So either...
- he has a point
- or he may just have lost his presets and should be excused for anything he'll say in the next 2 weeks ;)
Hoping for better luck "soon"... :mrgreen

Just in case there was some misunderstanding, I was only kidding :)
Killing everyone over forum posts might in itself be construed as overreacting.

I really haven't been too aware of this non-stop nagging and bitching and whining, I've been DYING for the new Axe-Edit as I hate doing really extensive tweaking from the front panel. But I haven't posted a word of complaint. Clarky is absolutely right: I've been a programmer/analyst for 35 years, and many times I myself have been ready to drop a new app or release, only to find some weakness or bug lurking in the code. Programming is a very complex business, perhaps more complex than some non-programmers can understand, but I'm sure they can understand this: 1) S*it happens. 2) Part of becoming an adult involves learning patience and impulse control 3) It is stupid to bite the hand that feeds you (I have been accused of this, but I strenuously deny it) 4) In general, you get more flies with honey than vinegar. 5) Last but not least: I for one, have NO recollection of buying my Axe Ultra or II with the express promise of FW releases, new features etc. - to me, the unit is great. It's not perfect - nothing is - but it's GREAT, and ANYTHING ELSE THAT FAS GIVES ME IS GRAVY. Let's try being THANKFUL for Cliff an his hardworking team, folks.

Guys,
Clarky is absolutely correct.Look for the past few months I have been without an electric and and that includes the entire summer. I have been waiting for my Suhr custom and it should arrive in January 2013 hopefully.
I saw all the firmware upgrades,I was missing out on and I saw people getting upset at delays and bugs and all. I was thinking to myself,these folks are lucky they get to play and enjoy this amazing unit with their awesome guitars. All I am saying is,cheer up guys "FAS" will release the firmware when it's fully ready so you can have a smooth experience with the release. Be glad that you are able to enjoy this firmware,I don't even have an electric at the moment to try out this firmware update that is coming out but I am being patient and I know that early next year the wait would be worth it. You are all so privileged to have such a company,that delivers things based on your demands. Lighten up and enjoy!As for me,I'll hopefully be happy hearing the sound recordings posted of the new firmware until I get my new axe :).

Cheers and peace.

Back
Top Bottom