Anything I'm missing out on buying used besides warranty? And what to look for?

mike86325

Hey guys,

I've been tossing around the idea of buying an axe fx ii for a while now (have an hd500x now), but cost has always been a factor. Recently I noticed a used unit on craigslist for a reasonable price, but am unsure of the cost/benefit with buying used. So here's a few Q's:

1) Besides the 1-year warranty, do I miss out on any other benefits, services, etc. original owners receive?

2) What do I look for when picking the unit up? Any way to quickly test that it is working 100%?

3) Any experiences from those who bought used? good/bad?

Thanks everyone!

1) Nope, you get the same awesome and free firmware updates everyone does, along with Cliff and Co actually responding to questions like your a rock star on this forum, only difference is lack of warranty, but Fractal still will provide great service if needed (just won't be free)

2) if it looks like it feel off a truck, or was dragged behind one, might be worrisome, but other than cosmetics, can't really tell much about these things. Its just a computer inside and that stuff either works or it doesn't. If it powers on, screen looks okay, doesn't make weird hum etc it should work

3) mine is used, saved a bunch of money, and it works great. Always risk in any used product though. Just have to weight the cost of new (with warranty) vs the risk of a used one and the money it saves you

If the screen works, all the controls work, and all the inputs and outputs work, then it's working the same as a new one.

I bought my ULTRA used back in the days. Provided you have a decent honest seller you have nothing to worry about.

i've buy a used one last years, worked fine expect the midi phantom power, 10 min fix by myself and working like new.
just make sure its not a stoled one, ask for a recipe and infos of the guy.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help! Pending everything checking out, I may be joining the cult on Sunday with an axe fx ii mk1 and mfc. So excited! I just hope I havent overhyped it for myself haha

your good to go. i bought a used ultra. that thing was like a little tank. i actually was the third owner and whoever bought it from me was the fourth with no issues

Thanks everyone! Picked up the axe fx ii and the mfc 101 today. Had just enough time to get it all plugged in and updated. Im trying to start with a clean slate though and it seems that the links to the files that wipe the banks and cabinets are broken in the wiki. Any other way to get rid of the previous owners stuff?
I had about 5 minutes before i had to leave for work to play with a couple presets and I'm totally friggin blown away. I really wish i called in sick.

Back
Top Bottom