Anyone who likes to grill - SHARE your tips , tools and techniques !

I just did beer can chicken on the Traeger today and oh my word it was hands down the moistest chicken I have encountered in my 47 years.

The Traeger 575 Pro has turned me into a believer. The temp control, integrated meat thermometer, Wi-Fi to app integration and the pellet sensor are fantastic.The first thing I did was a brisket. Took 14 hours but 100 percent worth it. The Boston Butt pulled pork was also tremendously flavorful.
This is my love language.

Universal Rub:
Kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
smoked paprika
chipotle chili powder
cumen and coriander for more mex vibes

Very similar to Rodney Scott's Rub(below) , except the addition of Brown Sugar and MSG. I like the
less is more approach when it comes to a Dry Rub. No need for some secret recipe with 18 different
herbs and spices---unless someone is into that sort of thing. I prefer if the meat and smoke shine
through and the rub doesn't overpower either of those two fundamentals.

1653830982977.png

I also enjoy the Carolina--inspired approach of spritzing the Meat as it
smokes with a Vinegar/Hot Sauce combo in a spray bottle.

Very similar to Rodney Scott's Rub(below) , except the addition of Brown Sugar and MSG. I like the
less is more approach when it comes to a Dry Rub. No need for some secret recipe with 18 different
herbs and spices---unless someone is into that sort of thing. I prefer if the meat and smoke shine
through and the rub doesn't overpower either of those two fundamentals.

View attachment 102717
Thanks for posting the rub. I always take out the large amount of salt in all of my recipes so I usually just add that last I like the flavor of the spices. Just try to not consume as much salt.

Steaks though need salt & pepper :)

I leave out the brown sugar if it's my mix, and the cayenne might be to much for some, but otherwise yeah the core principles are all there.

Edit: Also, the MSG is just more salt. All you're getting wth MSG is that Na+ (sodium ion) hanging out to the right of the structure below - which is most of what you actually taste. The umami of the glutamate anion is OK if that's part of the flavor profile. The Glu amino acid does what it does elsewhere in the body as a key neurotransmitter and encoded amino acid in Central Dogma (DNA > RNA > Protein > Phenotype). Salt is just salt: Na+ and Cl-. Same number of sodium ions per mol.

iu

Last edited:
Ok I used Moore’s marinade on a couple of bone in rib eyes cooked on the BGE today they were cooked to a medium rare and bake potatoes. I let them sit in it all afternoon and cooked them hot and fast.
1653872400010.jpeg

I don't think this is the "Health Advice Thread." ;)

I am kidding. Health is important. Can't eat without it!!!!! :)
The steaks we delicious tonight. I only tried to cut back on salt on my rubs because typically there’s way too much salt in it for my taste. And whenever I make a rub I usually doctor it up to my likings after I’ve made it a few times….

Hope you’ve had a great Memorial weekend weekend. 😀

Hello all you grill masters out there :)

I bought a small brisket the other day and put a brown sugar dry rub on both sides of the brisket along with a 1/4 t of pink salt. Helps bacteria from growing and also keeps the meat nice and pink. I added this I use it when brining
or dry rub always keep the meat in a plastic brining bag or glass dish covered.
I let the rub set on the meat for 24 hours I would usually leave it for a few days big cuts of meat should brine for 10 days or longer.
This is a 4 lb flat off a brisket I like cooking the flat.

RUB is also great for pork.

Ingredients​

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper. I use 1/2 t
3-4 hours on about 225
Bring the meat temp up to 175
Then wrap in tin foil before you wrap put about a 1/2 cup of apple juice in the foil around the meat.
Take the grill temp up to 375 and cook until the meat is at 205 if that is not tender enough for you take it up to about 225.
Enjoy

1670212526782.jpeg
1670212566198.jpeg

Pretty wild with that pink color. If I saw that in a bbq joint I wouldn’t know what to think lol. This is an old thread. I read though and saw a post of mine that said all I needed was a Santa Maria grill. I found one this summer. I acquired a stash of oak. A true tri-tip cooking machine.

Attachments

• EEDEA023-8FA6-4D2E-AB32-037A3FF5F6F5.jpeg
    EEDEA023-8FA6-4D2E-AB32-037A3FF5F6F5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • 6A1238C3-516D-429D-A8FE-83881141E007.jpeg
    6A1238C3-516D-429D-A8FE-83881141E007.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 99A90432-1F17-4BD6-B4F5-6D97D72D42A0.jpeg
    99A90432-1F17-4BD6-B4F5-6D97D72D42A0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Pretty wild with that pink color. If I saw that in a bbq joint I wouldn’t know what to think lol. This is an old thread. I read though and saw a post of mine that said all I needed was a Santa Maria grill. I found one this summer. I acquired a stash of oak. A true tri-tip cooking machine.
Nice that grill is very cool I’d like to try one.

When ever I make ham our anything I’m brining I always use Prague one which is pink salt. It’s great because it stops bacteria from growing in the meat your braining and also keeps that nice looking color that everybody likes instead of the meat looking gray. Which doesn’t make a ham look very appetizing. But most of all it keeps the bacteria out of your brain if you’re doing it for 10 days to two weeks so no one gets sick.
You can look it up but celery seed will also do the same thing.

You can Brine pork chops or ribs or anything you can think of and turn it into ham I’ve even made my own Canadian bacon especially the peameal bacon I love so much.
check out this link.

This make’s a fantastic pork butt.

Little tip the injection fluid if you make pulled pork pour your injection fluid on the meat after you have pulled the meat that is the way to go.

http://www.biggreenjoe.com/big-green-egg-pulled-pork-kansas-city-style/

This is a great website you can change the recipes to your taste.

My next brisket I’m going to make a homage pastrami.

Never brine in a metal container

Nice that grill is very cool I’d like to try one.

When ever I make ham our anything I’m brining I always use Prague one which is pink salt. It’s great because it stops bacteria from growing in the meat your braining and also keeps that nice looking color that everybody likes instead of the meat looking gray. Which doesn’t make a ham look very appetizing. But most of all it keeps the bacteria out of your brain if you’re doing it for 10 days to two weeks so no one gets sick.
You can look it up but celery seed will also do the same thing.

You can Brine pork chops or ribs or anything you can think of and turn it into ham I’ve even made my own Canadian bacon especially the peameal bacon I love so much.
check out this link.

This make’s a fantastic pork butt.

Little tip the injection fluid if you make pulled pork pour your injection fluid on the meat after you have pulled the meat that is the way to go.

http://www.biggreenjoe.com/big-green-egg-pulled-pork-kansas-city-style/

This is a great website you can change the recipes to your taste.

My next brisket I’m going to make a homage pastrami.

Never brine in a metal container

This recipe seems very similar to this one. I do all my butts this way except I’ll wrap after 8 hours to drive it up to temp. It mushes the bark a bit but you save some time on the cook.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork-butt-chris-lilly-big-bob-gibson-championship-injection/

This recipe seems very similar to this one. I do all my butts this way except I’ll wrap after 8 hours to drive it up to temp. It mushes the bark a bit but you save some time on the cook.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork-butt-chris-lilly-big-bob-gibson-championship-injection/
Yep that seems to be just like what I started with I’m always tweaking The recipes until I find something that I really like and then I leave it alone.

The pink salt is the way to go when doing long cooks if you want the meat to look really nice but when I’m cooking pork but I usually do not use pink salt.

I usually use that only when I’m curing for a week or two or longer.
Thanks for posting that site though I will check it out further.
if I brine a pork shoulder for ham I usually put it in a bucket and inject it with the brain and then Brian & for three or four days longer than what the recipe calls for and it will be nice and pink throughout and taste just like the best ham you’ve ever had.

Oh yeah and one other thing when you’re done cooking your pork butt what I usually do is set them on a piece of tinfoil put some apple juice in and wrap the pork butts up and then just set them in a cooler for two or three hours they’ll still be screaming hot when you need to take them out, and then the bark will still be good but they’ll continue cooking and be more tender and moist. I usually do about 18 hours on for pork shoulders.

18 hours! Yes it takes a long time to drive pork up that high. That’s why I started wrapping them. The long way is without a doubt the best though.

18 hours! Yes it takes a long time to drive pork up that high. That’s why I started wrapping them. The long way is without a doubt the best though.
I usually put them on the green egg about five or 6 o’clock in the evening and then the next day I’ll pull them before lunch. I will then lay them in tinfoil for about a cup of apple juice in with them wrap them up nice and tight and put them in my yeti cooler for 2-3 hours..
And let the magic happen until you’re ready to pull them, Then after they’re pulled I will put the injection fluid on them and mix it all up everyone said they were the best that way and I should not change the recipe.
and that happened purely by mistake I forgot to inject them and after they were done I poured the injection fluid on them and the flavor was throughout the delicious.
I cut the salt and all of the recipes because it seems to be too salty.

Back
Top Bottom