Anyone who likes to grill - SHARE your tips , tools and techniques !

Anyone do any dry aging? I am doing my first large cut. At the 21 day mark with a
large cut of Prime Rib. Think I am going to pull it at 28-30 days, and then trim and
cook.

Anyone do any dry aging? I am doing my first large cut. At the 21 day mark with a
large cut of Prime Rib. Think I am going to pull it at 28-30 days, and then trim and
cook.

So the dry aging was a failure. I don't want my Prime Rib tasting like Bleu Cheese.

My son liked it, though. Go figure.

So the dry aging was a failure. I don't want my Prime Rib tasting like Bleu Cheese.

My son liked it, though. Go figure.
Well to bad Dave hate that the dry aging didn’t work out. I’ve always been A little hesitant about doing dry aging of meat.
Wet aging ham pastrami and corn beef has worked out really good for me. I have made P mail bacon homemade several times and it turned out really good.

Hope the Tornado in Gaylord Michigan wasn't a problem for you.

Cheers

Thanks, Fred. We are lucky and very blessed. The destruction is kind of insane for us
being so far North. My son attends Gaylord High, so it hits really close to home. We
know a lot of people there. Never thought I would see them on CNN!!!

The silver lining is it is going to make a small, tightknit community even tighter.
Everyone is pitching in to help. :)

I'm smoking some meats tonight to take to the Church tomorrow that is now a shelter
for all the displaced people who need somewhere to live, shower, eat, and catch their
breath after all of this.

2021 was not a good year for grilling in the Northeast because of the never-ending afternoon t-storms that would roll through and put a kibosh on grilling. 2022 may be different; we'll see! My Weber Spirit (propane, sadly, long story, apartment management forbade charcoal) needs a good cleaning and inspection...the spark battery could use a swap and contacts a scrub with steel wool...

That being said, once ready to grill, I've got various chicken and turkey sitters, as well as an electric rotisserie. Also a half-griddle plate that heats up amazingly well and can sear just about anything you put on it. My only lament is that my small wood smoker box that is supposed to impart a nice smoky flavor to BBQ'd meats (not grilled, of course) is dicey and doesn't always do what it's supposed to. The smoker box is my only recourse because apartment management told me I couldn't keep my Weber Performer Charcoal grill on premises. (Fire hazard and insurance liability.) I complied and sold the charcoal grill...

But have at thee, Weber Spirit...my tongs and spatula await!

Thanks, Fred. We are lucky and very blessed. The destruction is kind of insane for us
being so far North. My son attends Gaylord High, so it hits really close to home. We
know a lot of people there. Never thought I would see them on CNN!!!

The silver lining is it is going to make a small, tightknit community even tighter.
Everyone is pitching in to help. :)

I'm smoking some meats tonight to take to the Church tomorrow that is now a shelter
for all the displaced people who need somewhere to live, shower, eat, and catch their
breath after all of this.
Glad your all ok we sure do feel for those effected by that tornado. That’s a great thing to cook for those that could use a good meal. We totally understand what folks are dealing with.
We are still not in our new home it is a very difficult process to deal with lots of stress. It definitely can bring the community together..

Glad your all ok we sure do feel for those effected by that tornado. That’s a great thing to cook for those that could use a good meal. We totally understand what folks are dealing with.
We are still not in our new home it is a very difficult process to deal with lots of stress. It definitely can bring the community together..

How close are you, Fred? Sure sounds like you have had to be patient.

Yup. Texas style wrap to power through the dreaded "stall." :)

I have been trying different methods. Have done the wrap before
but chose not to this time. The wrap kind of defeats the bark, in
my experience. Hard to wrap it and trap that moisture and not
have it break down the bark. I can still get a super moist and tender
Brisket with not wrapping it. I do wrap it for the rest, though.

It's almost 16lbs ($3.99 lb is cheaper than hamburger!!) so I am
expecting about 18 hours at 225. I have tried an higher temp and
still wasn't able to get it under 16 hours even wrapping it at 165F.

I did a brisket for the family recently, and just did it straight up Aaron Franklin. Just salt and pepper and the wrap. Came out really good. With the paper, the bark is still good. I foil my butts, and the bark gets a little mushy. Worth it though because those are off in about 9-10 hours. In the end, no matter your method, real BBQ is awesome.

Yes. It is awesome! I like the lengthy process. I put it in late last night, and
babysat it for the first few hours, went to bed for a bit, and then got up to
finish it.

This time I separated the Flat from the Point and put the Flat in 3 hours
after the Point, and just pulled the Flat out. 15 hours at 225F. The
Point is still about 185F so another hour or so and I will pull it out and
wrap it to rest for a few hours.

Definitely no instant gratification with a Brisket!!! :)

How close are you, Fred? Sure sounds like you have had to be patient.
Hi Dave we’re getting close we have plumbers here today cabinets are missing doors and shelf’s electrician have a little to do and we have been waiting on the gas to be hooked up and the painters to finish. Hard to believe it’s been over 3 1/2 years..
With a little luck maybe next month but not 100% sure the way everything has been.
Hope we never have to go through this ever again.
Thanks for asking.

That Brisket sounds great I’ll bet it’s smelling good.

3 and 1/2 years????!!! Wow. You must have the patience of a Saint now, Fred. :)
Well 3 1/2 years since the storm wrecked it just over a 1 1/2 years since we were able to start building.. Insurance was saying the storm didn’t wreck are house. What a racket pay but when something happens they don’t want to pay.

It has been a very frustrating journey..

Happy Memorial Day weekend guys!

What is everyone cooking this weekend?

This is one version of my sticky ribs that I like to cook.

Tomorrow it will be bone in ribeyes The dog will be happy about getting a bone to chew on lol.

I will be putting St. Louis cut pork ribs on the BGE (Big Green Egg) around lunch time tomorrow and I cook them at 225 degrees for about 4 hours or until the internal temperature is 205 degrees.
Also I put one chunk of pecan wood on the lump charcoal

I like putting my rub on them then a little salt on the meat side and then coat them with Turbinado Sugar a nice heavy coating let them sit while the BGE gets hot.
I use a rib rack indirect heat and a lot of the sugar will fall off while cooking.
When there done let them rest on a cutting board and put BBQ sauce on them. We like Sticky Fingers Carolina sweet.

I'm going to stick with the reverse sear on the Weber kettle, but that looks handy for sure.

22 Kettle? Best charcoal grill ever. But then I’m a Weber nut. 18” WSM, 18” Jumbo Joe for camping, Q1000 gas for camping (bought for places that don’t allow charcoal. Those rat bastards) and a Genesis for the wife. Plus my mighty 22 kettle. It is true the Weber quality isn’t what it was. Oh well I’m still a Weber guy. And I’m working Monday so no grilling, smoking, or anything fun. The only grill I desire other than a Weber is a good Santa Maria grill so I can cook with wood. Specifically oak. There are Santa Maria attachments made for the 22 but I’m not going there. I was lucky to be stationed at Vandenberg in my USAF days. About 20 minutes from Santa Maria. Being from Ohio I didn’t know what a tri tip was until then. I put wood on everything I grill. Get the coals spread out, drop a couple small pieces of wood on there, put on the meat, close it up. Unless I am forced to use gas, then no wood. I guess you can still use wood on a gas grill, but at that point I have given up anyway so I just get it over with.

22 Kettle? Best charcoal grill ever. But then I’m a Weber nut.
It was a 22 kettle. And you know what? I'm right there with you: I don't think you can beat a 22 kettle for the price-performance ratio.

That being said, I got seduced by a Kamado Joe when we moved to New England. It's pretty, sure. But is it 3x better than my old kettle setup? Nope. But it cost 3x my old kettle setup! It's maybe...10% better? Yea. It holds heat steady better. But I don't think I bbq better or smoke better with than I did with the kettle.

Were I to do it again, I'd just invest $500 in another fly kettle setup.

But the Kamado Joe sure looks pretty.

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 5.46.58 PM.png

Doing a New England staple tonight: marinated steak tips. In the pouring rain, of course!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom