Anyone using the "Axe Pad" App??

Hey Guys,

Someone mentioned the Axe Pad app when I was looking around the forum as wondering if anyone here used it and if it was any good. I see that it is not affiliated with FAS in any way so I'm a little skeptical. Your thoughts??

Asked a few times already, always with the same great responses.
Great app, great developer, great price, great work in general.

It's pretty cheap for what it's worth, just get it ;)

I looked at it too.
A great idea, but do not like how preset switching and these 8 slots for bookmarked presets are organized.
I would add a foot controller-like layout with preset names for each button like in LF JR+.
Preset switching may be done by using a phone-like keyboard and next/prev buttons instead of that slider.

He mentioned something like that would be coming in a future release ;)
Well not the foot controller part, but that's also a nice idea :)

Thanks for chiming in again jon - I appreciate your support of AxePad since day 1! :)

I looked at it too.
A great idea, but do not like how preset switching and these 8 slots for bookmarked presets are organized.
I would add a foot controller-like layout with preset names for each button like in LF JR+.
Preset switching may be done by using a phone-like keyboard and next/prev buttons instead of that slider.

Hobot - The slider bit will be changed in the next version, I am going to have a '+' and '-' button to incrementally go up/down presets. In fact, you can currently tap the slider to either side of the knob to do the same right now with the current version. I may even put in a small keyboard as some have asked, to type a preset number straight in.

The 8 preset buttons I will also possibly expand to 10, and I am also looking at having 'sets' of presets, so you can set up 10 presets for your blues gig, 10 more for your metal gig, 10 more for your cafe gig etc. and then choose a 'set' which will give you 10 quick presets for that 'set'. Basically allowing you an unlimited number of presets if you want.

Also in a future version I am going to have a specific looping screen, and a 'pedalboard' screen which will give you a fixed layout (customisable by you) to have 'buttons' on the screen to turn effects etc. on/off with a tap.

Not all of these can be put in the next version, but they will slowly trickle out over time - all will be free upgrades to existing AxePad owners.

Im ordering my Axe FxII tomorrow. I recently got a new Ipad. This app sounds very interesting!

A couple questions, Is this mainly just for touring musicians? Would it have any value for a person like myself who jams at home and records? I really like the fact that you can store presets in groups. I'd like to store presets by bands so I can call all the presets I d use for certain songs and bands. It would also be cool for genres.

Is there a limit as to how many banks of presets and banks you can have?

Also If I have my computer running axe edit and this app hooks up by midi would they work well together without any compatibility issues and can I have both running at the same time? Can I do some deep editing on a patch in Axe edit and will it update on the Axepad and be saved as well?

Thanks for chiming in again jon - I appreciate your support of AxePad since day 1! :)

Hobot - The slider bit will be changed in the next version, I am going to have a '+' and '-' button to incrementally go up/down presets. In fact, you can currently tap the slider to either side of the knob to do the same right now with the current version. I may even put in a small keyboard as some have asked, to type a preset number straight in.

The 8 preset buttons I will also possibly expand to 10, and I am also looking at having 'sets' of presets, so you can set up 10 presets for your blues gig, 10 more for your metal gig, 10 more for your cafe gig etc. and then choose a 'set' which will give you 10 quick presets for that 'set'. Basically allowing you an unlimited number of presets if you want.

Also in a future version I am going to have a specific looping screen, and a 'pedalboard' screen which will give you a fixed layout (customisable by you) to have 'buttons' on the screen to turn effects etc. on/off with a tap.

Not all of these can be put in the next version, but they will slowly trickle out over time - all will be free upgrades to existing AxePad owners.

wholey sh!t, this is hella awesome! :)
if I didn't have axepad already, this would have sold me over for SURE! :)

I have been watching this tool from the request for BETA users stage. Did not yet have my iPad back then, but do now. Most of us guys saying "I just got my iPad", or like me, "I got an iPad a few months ago", have the iPad 3. @cyberferret, if I am not mistaken, you don't even have a 3 yet, but have it ordered and in route. So how is 3 integration right now? What are you doing about it? When do you feel 3 integration be fully implemented?
I am extremely impressed by what you have created, and how very "on it" you seem to be. Almost Cliff like. Nice to have such an awesome mentor huh? I will be buying a copy soon. Keep up the good work brother!

I'd definately like an iPhone app!

Maybe perhaps? Not sure if the demand is high, but we also have the problem of the interface, i.e. squeezing so many controls onto a little screen. Who know? I may do a 'lite' version of AxePad with just the preset selector, tuner and perhaps amp controls at a later date? Depends on sales of the iPad version...

Does this App have "Motor Drive" in the amp block?

Not yet, but I am thinking of adding it in on the next version as a few users have requested this. Actually, I am planning a version that will allow users to add their OWN parameters to each screen which will keep the 'deep editors' and the geek tweakers happy! :)

Im ordering my Axe FxII tomorrow. I recently got a new Ipad. This app sounds very interesting!

A couple questions, Is this mainly just for touring musicians? Would it have any value for a person like myself who jams at home and records? I really like the fact that you can store presets in groups. I'd like to store presets by bands so I can call all the presets I d use for certain songs and bands. It would also be cool for genres.

Is there a limit as to how many banks of presets and banks you can have?

Also If I have my computer running axe edit and this app hooks up by midi would they work well together without any compatibility issues and can I have both running at the same time? Can I do some deep editing on a patch in Axe edit and will it update on the Axepad and be saved as well?

Thanks John - We have musicians of all styles using this at present, from touring guys, local bar band guys, bedroom rockers etc. I didn't really pick any specific target market for this really. I rarely gig myself these days, but use it a lot in my little studio. The layout of my studio is such that the PC and Axe-FX are actually in a corner, and if I want to stand up and play my guitar, I have to be in a clear space that is a few metres away from my desk. I often set up AxePad on a wireless link (using MIDIBridge as explained on our website) so that I can still tweak the Axe-FX even though I am many feet away from it.

At the moment, AxePad will 'remember' up to 8 presets. According to feedback that is not enough, so that is why I am building in the 'Preset Sets' so that users can have any number of favourites stored on the iPad. So, just to be clear, the grouped 'sets' are not in the current version, but will be there in a month or two.

As for running Axe-Edit and AxePad at the same time - I do that all the time too. I have the Axe-FX connected to the Mac with the USB, and AxePad connected via the MIDI port and everything works great. You can make changes and save the preset in Axe-Edit, and as soon as you select the preset on AxePad, it reads in the current preset state and allows you to make changes. It's not a 'real time' connection per se - AxePad only interrogates the Axe-FX when you choose a preset on the iPad screen.

wholey sh!t, this is hella awesome! :)
if I didn't have axepad already, this would have sold me over for SURE! :)

Thanks again jon!! I really do appreciate the backing you are giving AxePad. If you are ever in this part of the world, I will buy you SEVERAL beers...and chips!

Reactions: jon
I have been watching this tool from the request for BETA users stage. Did not yet have my iPad back then, but do now. Most of us guys saying "I just got my iPad", or like me, "I got an iPad a few months ago", have the iPad 3. @cyberferret, if I am not mistaken, you don't even have a 3 yet, but have it ordered and in route. So how is 3 integration right now? What are you doing about it? When do you feel 3 integration be fully implemented?
I am extremely impressed by what you have created, and how very "on it" you seem to be. Almost Cliff like. Nice to have such an awesome mentor huh? I will be buying a copy soon. Keep up the good work brother!

Thanks kerrlehr! I actually ordered my iPad3 and it arrived 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately work commitments, (plus the release of FW6.0) meant that it stayed unopened, it its shipping container for all that 3 weeks before I got the chance to open it up on the weekend and set it up!! That MUST be some sort of record for an iPad user! :D

I plan to do some testing with the iPad3 this week, and start making some small alteration for v1.2. Interestingly, I've heard from quite a few iPad3 users with NO problems at all, but still there are a handful who have experienced some weird issues that I will try and get to the bottom of...

I've actually also recently been talking with a lead engineer from Fractal... fingers crossed that some good things will come out of it, but for now, mums the word... :)

Hi Cyber,
Would it be possible to integrate Airturn blootooth footpedal with this app? Would be awesome if you could map a preset change or effect on off to it.

Hi Cyber,
Would it be possible to integrate Airturn blootooth footpedal with this app? Would be awesome if you could map a preset change or effect on off to it.

That's a pretty cool looking pedal!! I've just written to the manufacturers to see if I can get the SDK for it.

Looks like it has 2 pedals with just on/off switching. Perfect for preset up/down switching.

I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

Maybe perhaps? Not sure if the demand is high, but we also have the problem of the interface, i.e. squeezing so many controls onto a little screen. Who know? I may do a 'lite' version of AxePad with just the preset selector, tuner and perhaps amp controls at a later date? Depends on sales of the iPad version...

Not yet, but I am thinking of adding it in on the next version as a few users have requested this. Actually, I am planning a version that will allow users to add their OWN parameters to each screen which will keep the 'deep editors' and the geek tweakers happy! :)

Thanks John - We have musicians of all styles using this at present, from touring guys, local bar band guys, bedroom rockers etc. I didn't really pick any specific target market for this really. I rarely gig myself these days, but use it a lot in my little studio. The layout of my studio is such that the PC and Axe-FX are actually in a corner, and if I want to stand up and play my guitar, I have to be in a clear space that is a few metres away from my desk. I often set up AxePad on a wireless link (using MIDIBridge as explained on our website) so that I can still tweak the Axe-FX even though I am many feet away from it.

At the moment, AxePad will 'remember' up to 8 presets. According to feedback that is not enough, so that is why I am building in the 'Preset Sets' so that users can have any number of favourites stored on the iPad. So, just to be clear, the grouped 'sets' are not in the current version, but will be there in a month or two.

As for running Axe-Edit and AxePad at the same time - I do that all the time too. I have the Axe-FX connected to the Mac with the USB, and AxePad connected via the MIDI port and everything works great. You can make changes and save the preset in Axe-Edit, and as soon as you select the preset on AxePad, it reads in the current preset state and allows you to make changes. It's not a 'real time' connection per se - AxePad only interrogates the Axe-FX when you choose a preset on the iPad screen.

:)

Attachments

• 20404198.jpg
    20404198.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 37
Hahahaha - OMG, that's the first time I've ever been mentioned in one of those 'meme' graphics!!

Thank you jon - what an honour. I'll have to print that one out and frame it in my office!!! :D

Just purchased the iPad app to send a little support your way. Now I have to wait for my USB Midi cable to arrive from eBay..lol

This looks promising. Thanks for your efforts!

Back
Top Bottom