Anyone using MIDI triggers live to control patch changes?

CactusTone

Inspired
My band is a Vegas-style cover band, using backing tracks. I'd love to "bake in" some triggers into the tracks to control my patch changes. Is anyone doing this? If so:
1) What software are you using to run your tracks?
2) What tech/set-up issues did you have to overcome that weren't obvious?
3) Is it a dream come true to use? :)

1) I use digital performer. It sends patch change at song start and CC for scenes during song. You can even record and automate wah if you want.

2) No issues on setup

3) If "dream come true" means you can be on the dance floor sandwiched between two women and all your scenes cue perfectly at the perfect time...then, yes

1) I use digital performer. It sends patch change at song start and CC for scenes during song. You can even record and automate wah if you want.

2) No issues on setup

3) If "dream come true" means you can be on the dance floor sandwiched between two women and all your scenes cue perfectly at the perfect time...then, yes
Haha! That's exactly what I'm talking about! Cheers!

Hi there,

I'm using logic pro X with my band. We all are following a click track through IEM's and i have a midi track that is sending data to my AXEFX.

Any issue at all.

We use Showbuddy to trigger up to 8 or 9 devices at one time as well as a full MIDI light show. I also use an Evertune guitar so it's crazy liberating to just plug and play. When we introduce a new song into the band we use Logic to fire MIDI PC's until the song gets a full studio workup for backing track.

Hi there,

I'm using logic pro X with my band. We all are following a click track through IEM's and i have a midi track that is sending data to my AXEFX.

Any issue at all.
Great! Are you using the USB to connect to Logic, or a MIDI peripheral? Can you tell me about your on-stage interface? Finally, do the tracks have to be run from Logic to trigger the CCs or can you bounce them to another file type for easy reshuffling and set list organization?

To the OP, yes, that's of course possible. I personally use Ableton Live. Everything is connected to my PC via USB currently. It is more or less the same for every DAW/OS.

To those who mention Bandhelper, how in the world do you make it send something in the middle of a song? It seems to only be able to send MIDI at start, no? This is the most confusing piece of software to me, ever.

My band is a Vegas-style cover band, using backing tracks. I'd love to "bake in" some triggers into the tracks to control my patch changes. Is anyone doing this? If so:
1) What software are you using to run your tracks?
2) What tech/set-up issues did you have to overcome that weren't obvious?
3) Is it a dream come true to use? :)
1) Reaper.
2) I'm using a tiny cheap tablet pc with a focusrite audio interface. I had to overcome playback hick'ups, the ability for every band member to hear their headphone mix, and have control over it.
3) Would be better if there was a small, cheap, remotely controlable, and completely stable device dedicated for such playback. Synched Backtrack + Midiout + Clicktrack, so I can avoid computers and audio interfaces. It's a bit too overcomplicated.

By the way, one problem with this setup is Axe FX itself, which isn't awfully reliable with MIDI.

In what way?

The Axe-Fx works flawlessly with Bandhelper. I also use BH to control my GCX switcher, which has some pedals plugged into it and I also control another rack unit...the Korg A3. No issues with any of them.

I use BH on an iPad Mini 4 and control everything with Bluetooth.

I never ever had an issue with Axe FX midi.

Oh, I'm sure you did. Like, you cannot simultaneously use Axe-Edit and, say, your MFC, right? Why? Because it can't handle multiple MIDI streams well at all. Or fast-coming MIDI commands.

Now, if your automation is very simple (i.e. you change scenes once in a while) and you aren't using any other controller simultaneously, you'll be fine.

However, I've had a ton of headache trying to make it change scenes AND (almost simultaneously) launch an LFO to control the sequencer AND start looper playback. Basically what I got was a very inconsistent result, different from time to time, unpredictably. It could fail to launch the LFO or start it later than needed, or what not.

Part of the problem is limitation of the MIDI protocol itself, I guess. Part of it is that Axe FX only handles one MIDI channel. Part of it, I think, is that MIDI has low priority.

You can also see limitations in the wishlist thread - like people asking for a VU meter in Axe-Edit.

Axe FX's MIDI implementation isn't all that great, and that's probably to hardware limitations, unfortunately, so I expect no big improvements until Axe FX III, if it ever comes out.

It would be even better if Fractal got rid of MIDI for Axe Edit at all, and made a control plugin using some protocol really utilizing the fast connection we have through USB.

I use Ableton Live. Some people have taken the time to do youtube video's.
it is very easy to set up, but the steps required will depend on the DAW or programs used.

Midi is very simple and straight forward.

Just curious, do any of you triggering songs for automation have instant random access to any song in your show without having to literally mouse around on a laptop or touchscreen? If so, how are you doing it?

I mouse around but it is near instant to select a new song via timeline or list. I can't imagine how else you could do it efficiently.

axe_rig.jpg

Just curious, do any of you triggering songs for automation have instant random access to any song in your show without having to literally mouse around on a laptop or touchscreen? If so, how are you doing it?

Well, I can think of several ways to accomplish this.

One, use something like BandHelper on your phone/tablet, map presets to song positions/scenes/whatever your DAW requires.

Two, map buttons on your MFC or whatever controller you're using. I just use four for DAW control - one starts/stops playback, one turns click on/off, two others are for navigation forward/backwards.

Three, use some Launchpad type controller. I have a Maschine Jam for other purposes, but it can certainly achieve this.

Back
Top Bottom