Anyone using digital room correction with their studio-setting Axe Fx?

Promit

Inspired
Preface: obviously appropriate room treatment is always a good idea, and I am not talking about room EQ/correction in lieu of correct acoustic treatment of a space. This post should be considered as being used in tandem with at least basic acoustic paneling.

Is anyone using digital room correction between their Axe Fx and studio monitors? I'm considering putting a MiniDSP into the chain to flatten out the response completely. It's a relatively inexpensive box in the grand scheme of things, and I've always been a fan of room correction in HT applications (Audyssey etc). I know some studio monitors incorporate on-board DSP, but that's definitely not the norm and I don't hear much about studios using digital correction either. Of course they can typically do aggressive acoustic treatment of a room for a single listening position with high end monitors, but what about the rest of us who might have a few panels up but not necessarily a fully acoustically controlled space?

I don't ATM, because i'm recording and i monitor live to reduce latency when tracking, but i have ARC2 for my DAW and will want to use it while tweaking tones during re-amping of tracks. :encouragement:

G'day,
I have a small (8 inch) set of monitors that I use flat, but the large ones (15 inch) are further away, and more affected by the room. Also, they are an old rock type speaker that can be pretty flattering... So I used REW to calculate an eq curve using a calibration mic, and use that curve for them. It does help, however i do need to spend some more time calibrating in different locations and experimenting with it.

Pauly

Preface: obviously appropriate room treatment is always a good idea, and I am not talking about room EQ/correction in lieu of correct acoustic treatment of a space. This post should be considered as being used in tandem with at least basic acoustic paneling.

Is anyone using digital room correction between their Axe Fx and studio monitors? I'm considering putting a MiniDSP into the chain to flatten out the response completely. It's a relatively inexpensive box in the grand scheme of things, and I've always been a fan of room correction in HT applications (Audyssey etc). I know some studio monitors incorporate on-board DSP, but that's definitely not the norm and I don't hear much about studios using digital correction either. Of course they can typically do aggressive acoustic treatment of a room for a single listening position with high end monitors, but what about the rest of us who might have a few panels up but not necessarily a fully acoustically controlled space?

I could be wrong here, but it sounds like what you're looking for is highly specific to a room, in that you're wanting to correct for the space rather than the frequency response, dynamic range, etc. When the space changes, your reflections and delays change, sometimes ever so slightly but noticeably. Drives you nuts, but you're too close to it. Chances are very good nobody else hears it. I mean, how could they? They've never heard the original.

If the EQ is right, or at least what you want, you've done your job. If the recording sounds wrong in a different room or in a car or on a stage, all you can do is weep. No mix works everywhere.

I just picked up a pair of Genelec 8320's with the GLM module that does room correction. It's not a complete solution but does clean up a lot of issues. For low volume listening it has made a huge difference in my home office. Patches created translate better to a CLR now. Not 100% but much better. Easier to tweak once i get the CLR cranked up.

I have digital room correction on my JBL LSR4326Ps but I actually prefer the sound with it off. After the calculations are made it's as easy to turn it on or off with a button on either monitor. I think it's more detrimental to have anything effecting your monitoring sound as long as your monitors are fairly close to your ears and aren't being effected too much by the room. Also having a well treated room helps.

So... If there isn't a drastic difference in sound before and after the room correction, I find it pretty pointless.

When the guitar signal Runs trough my Studio monitors (Fluid Audio FX 8 ) my ARC 2 Room correction Plugin is always engaged.
My little Production studio is in the basement of my house, and with it's measure (6x3m) it's not very useful, when it comes to flat audio reproduction....
But my dB Flexsys FM12a active monitor is also engaged, to give me a bit pressure to my back ... :)

For audio mixing, the ARC2 is a huge improvement, if you don't want to spend lots of bucks for Room threatment .

I also have the Genelec 8330, and the calibration does clear a lot of mud from the low end. Don't try to EQ everything, just flatten the worst bass peaks and you're set.

It seems like I have a thing for bumping old threads up but here it goes:

Is there anybody out there using Sonarworks' Reference 3 Speaker Calibration software with the Axe-FX? What's your opinion about it?

Thanks in advance!

The problem is that it's VST plugin, so it works best when playing back recorded files from computer. Live, it will add latency.

Is anyone using digital room correction between their Axe Fx and studio monitors?

My primary audio interface is a MOTU 896mk3... it offers a pretty good parametric EQ that can be applied to any of the INs and OUTs. One of my outs goes to my studio monitors and another goes to a powered set of full sized FRFR speakers (Oversized if you ask my wife - yet I digress :) ).

Using a tool like REW (there are many options), I used a unique EQ setting for each OUT to create a 'flat' response that is relatively matched between the 2 output options. Of course, in the end, your mileage may vary and the only thing that really matters is what's pleasing to your ear.

Hope this helps.

I've just used the Axe-Fx global EQ to correct the 120 Hz band which is the most problematic in my room. It's got a huge boost in the room and I need to take something like 6-7 db down to get rid of it. It's especially terrible when playing bass thru the Axe.

I still haven't figured what I should do to tame it. I've got a thick rug on the floor, full bookshelves at the center of two walls, some guitars on the wall etc. I guess I need to get some ceiling panels or bass traps in the corners or something.

What kind of digital room correction devices that you can connect between your audio interface and speakers are there on the market? I could not afford the Genelecs with room correction so I just have the M040s which are very beefy sounding but obviously the limited settings in them can't fix all room issues.

Dspeaker antimode 2

Holy hell that is one expensive device for just that purpose. I don't think I'll be buying that anytime soon considering my speakers are only a bit more expensive than that thing.

I tried using REW into a Behringer FBQ 2496 (Includes an equalizer and is supported by REW). I noticed it did too much correcting. Insert the EQ and the bass guitar was gone.
But I need to redo that room and set all of it up differently, That may do some good already and maybe then I could try again.

I've just used the Axe-Fx global EQ to correct the 120 Hz band which is the most problematic in my room. It's got a huge boost in the room and I need to take something like 6-7 db down to get rid of it. It's especially terrible when playing bass thru the Axe.
I've got the same problem with 120 Hz.
I noticed I have that same problem in a lot of rooms and halls, irrespective of the speakers being used. I.e.: tried many speakers, all do it. I did find a couple of places that didn't. But generally I just pull out those frequencies at the start.

Last edited:
I recently just acquired a minidsp umik1 calibration mic, and used REW check out the problem frequencies in my room. The results showed a 15dB boost in the 120Hz area.

Cutting that out really helped with clearing alot of the mud. But it takes a bit more time to get used to the sudden lack of bass. Previously the low frequencies room nodes were pretty bad, very often causing my room door to rattle on certain frequencies.

Eq is always just a band aid, but better than not having it. For example, the room still has considerably longer reverb time in 120hz, and while your speakers now produce less 120hz, it's still a problem because those notes will ring out and mess up the response that way, the sound becomes more "one notey". You can see that in the waterfall spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom