Anyone using a Valve Poweramp?

Si.

Inspired
I was never really happy with my Matrix so recently picked up a valve power amp (Marshall 20/20) and after today messing with it I'm really impressed and it seems to give me what i was missing with the matrix (nothing against the matrix, I've used it for 6 months and gigged it loads without any complaints).

Just a question to other valve users, do yo prefer the power amp sims ON or OFF? I can't yet decide which i prefer. I've not had it at gig volume yet so I'm not really getting any poweramp drive so it's hard to tell how it will sound.

Also, there is obviously a lot more heat generated from the valve power amp, are there any issues racking this with the AxeFX right above it? will the heat from the power amp damage the Axefx?

I also switched over to a tube amp from the Matrix GT1000FX
I'm using the Fryette 2/50/2 with KT-77's in it and so far this has been the best combo I've come across
while trying to get the Axe to 'work for me" through a real guitar cab.
I've also tried using a Marshall 9000 power amp (50/50) and it worked very well with that power amp as well
More of a Marshall flavor than the Fryette but still very good.
I leave the Power amp sims on and left an open space in my rack between the Axe and the fryette (just in case)
I had to go from a 4U rack to a 6U to house the fryette

I've had a carvin TS100 tube amp in the past and it was nice and warm. I am happy with SS amps (SLA2) into FRFR and 2x12 cab. I get all the tube sound I need from the Axe.

I'm using VHT 2/90 and with Axe Standard it was better to have PA sims turned on all the time whether while using Axe II now I'm having the PA sims off. I've made dual amps presets (one to OUT1 PA sim on, 2nd to OUT2 PA sim off) and can't be happier.
Having PA sims on while going to VHT on II made distorted sounds too compressed and it wouldn't cut through. It may sound good while playing alone but will easily get lost while whole band plays.

I use my Ultra at times with my VHT 2/50/2 other times through the effects loop of my Egnater Renegade or Rebel 20 or both. ;-)
I prefer the power amp sims off and to keep the weight down, I put the VHT in a SKB 3 space rack and the Axe in another.

I was never really happy with my Matrix so recently picked up a valve power amp (Marshall 20/20) and after today messing with it I'm really impressed and it seems to give me what i was missing with the matrix (nothing against the matrix, I've used it for 6 months and gigged it loads without any complaints).

Just a question to other valve users, do yo prefer the power amp sims ON or OFF? I can't yet decide which i prefer. I've not had it at gig volume yet so I'm not really getting any poweramp drive so it's hard to tell how it will sound.

Also, there is obviously a lot more heat generated from the valve power amp, are there any issues racking this with the AxeFX right above it? will the heat from the power amp damage the Axefx?
My amp sims are on with my vht . It may sound different with other power amps. There might be too much coloring of the sound so you might have to turn it off. I
I keep my power amp on top and the axe fx underneath In a 4u rack
But ice seen others keep like your setup and no one complains.

I have both the Matrix GT1000 and a Mesa fifty-fifty with 6L6s. With the Mesa into 2 EV12 loaded 1x12s I have pa's/cabs off ..... with the Matrix I will be going FRFR pending a hands on experience with a suitable speaker. I hope to get a trip to Matrix soon to have a listen to their wares.

I'd used the Mesa for years previously with a Marshall JMP-1 (RIP) and FX unit so just decided to hang on to it rather than take a bad price. Now I'll soon have 2 rigs with the AxeFX being the brain ..... spoilt for choice.

Have to confess, Im thinking of going back to a valve amp as well. I used to use a VHT 2:50:2 with my standard and was more than happy (amp sims ON). Made the switch to the Matrix due to weight issues - and I tried a lot of SS amps. The Matrix was the only one that worked (and obviously I had a lot to do with Matrix getting the amp launched). It wasnt as good as the VHT but really wasnt far off either - I didnt sell the VHT though initially, it was sold 8 months later to fund the jump from standard to AFX2. At home the Matrix is fine - at gig levels Im starting to feel theres something not quite right. Its the "weight" of the tone I think.

My issues - weight again. I really dont want two racks as I have enough to lug about as it is, but adding a valve amp adds a lot of weight. The Engle E840 is at a great price right now in the UK, and is 12Kg (3Kg lighter than the VHT 2:50:2)so Im being extremely tempted. Id also need a bigger rack, but Ive seen 5U ones that would work for me. The upshot is it would cost me £900 (minus anything I get for the Matrix if I sell it), but would up the rack weight from 19KG (42 lb) up to 27.3Kg (60lb).

Part of me want to do this, part of me doesnt. The cost is an issue right now as well - though it will only get worse and I could just about stretch at the moment. There is another part of me that just wants to spend the £900 on a used tube combo so I have both options, and also a pick up and go rig.

Honestly if it wasnt for the weight I may well have jumped already, but with dodgy knees and back - and with lots of lugging up/down stairs .......... just cant bring myself to do it at present. As a result Im not buying anything in case I make the wrong choice. That might change.

Last edited:
A nice light weight solution for a tube power section, is an Egnater Rebel 20. It only weighs 20lbs, has 6v6's and EL84's and can be blended. an attenuater from 1watt up to 20 watts. Used, they're around $300. Plug the Axe into the loop, bypass the PA sims and you'll have some killer tones! If you want stereo or W/D/W have output 2 go to the P.A. or a powered monitor, run 2 amps in the Axe patch with the amp sim feeding the powered monitor or PA system having power amp sims on and a cab with IR's of choice. The other amp feeding the Rebel will have the power amp sim off by turning the SAG to "0". It sounds like a lot, but it's only 2 trips to the car or 1 with a friend helping.

Theres the other issue though - all the light weight amps are 20 watters. IMO thats not enough to give the headroom you need before it starts to compress/clip. Using traditional valve pres thats not an issue because you want it to happen - with modellers you dont want it at all really.

The Fryette at 40w will work - but other wise its 20, 50, 90 or 100 watts for valve power amps. 20 are too small, 90/100 are overkill and VERY heavy for most. 50w are really what you need, but there just too damn heavy for me.

Back
Top Bottom