Anyone use this expression pedal with the Axe?

That sounds very cool--kind of like the Boss/Digitech modeling boards where the pedal is used for volume until you engage the wah.

I think that is what I envisioned when I first was this pedal until it was clarified to me.

Also nice since you would only need 1 pedal for 2 functions...

Drat, I already ordered this pedal under my own assumption that I would be able to program it to serve the dual purpose function of volume / toe switch effect. I haven't begun programming anything yet as I am still waiting for my Liquid-Foot to become available (parts backordered) but I just assumed that if I assigned the internal pedal switch to engage one effect via cc's and also to disengage another I would be able to accomplish the Boss Gt series type of switching. I guess I didn't think it through :(

Edit: My crazy logic is still telling me this should work? Say for example you have two effects blocks - wah and volume - both set to cc #42 for the expression pedal and cc #43 for the toe switch (effect on/off). If you set the internal toe switch (cc #43) to engage one effect (wah) and disengage another effect (vol) at the same time, shouldn't this accomplish this? This is assuming that you can assign a cc based IA switch to disengage an effect when the switch becomes active, essentially a reversed polarity switch (which I know is possible in the Boss Gt series). This way the expression pedal (cc #43) will only affect the active effect because it can't affect an effect that is bypassed, right? Someone set me straight here please.

If anyone purchased one of my pedals and it doesn't work for out for any reason, please return it and I will refund the purchase price. I don't want anyone to be unhappy. Just email me or PM me if that's the case and I'll take care of it. Alternatively, I can do a custom design if you have specific requirements. Again just contact me with details on exactly what your requirements are and if it's possible, I'll happily do it for you.

Second. I'll try and finish the design today for the 2 channel expression pedal and put something up on ebay as soon as it's tested.

James

lebihanj said:
Here's a thought based on Mercury25's post. A different version of the pedal. Instead of a continuous and a switch output there are 2 continuous outputs. Connect to EXP1 and EXP2 on LF or Pedal 1 and 2 on the Axe. Assign 1 to volume and 2 to effect (wah, whammy whatever). Use the toe switch to switch between output 1 and output 2. This lets you use the same expression pedal for 2 different continuous functions and switch between them on the pedal. I could put a battery and a 2 state LED in there to indicate which output is enabled. Since the switch is now being used for channel switching you'd have to use autoengage or a controller switch for effect on/off. Any use to anyone?

J.

This would be perfect for me I think since it will get rid of having another pedal for just volume. How much more would this version cost? I think you're on to something here.

I edited my response, perhaps I should have made a new entry so nobody missed it so here it is. Can anyone clarify for me?
Edit: My crazy logic is still telling me this should work? Say for example you have two effects blocks - wah and volume - both set to cc #42 for the expression pedal and cc #43 for the toe switch (effect on/off). If you set the internal toe switch (cc #43) to engage one effect (wah) and disengage another effect (vol) at the same time, shouldn't this accomplish this? This is assuming that you can assign a cc based IA switch to disengage an effect when the switch becomes active, essentially a reversed polarity switch (which I know is possible in the Boss Gt series). This way the expression pedal (cc #43) will only affect the active effect because it can't affect an effect that is bypassed, right? Someone set me straight here please.

Ringleader-
I wish I could but I'm new to all this and I've haven't yet hooked my LF and SP1 to the Ultra yet. Hopefully this weekend I can have some time to myself to get myself set. Javajunkie might be a good person to ask. He's very knowledgeable on all things LF and AXE.

Ringleader said:
I edited my response, perhaps I should have made a new entry so nobody missed it so here it is. Can anyone clarify for me?

Use the the bypass modifier in the effects block. Set them to the same external controller but set the start and end opposite on them.

Java to the rescue! :D So there is no need to develop the new pedal, it is possible to toggle effects and use the expression control with the current production one, correct?

Ringleader said:
Java to the rescue! :D So there is no need to develop the new pedal, it is possible to toggle effects and use the expression control with the current production one, correct?

What setting the bypass modifier would do is:
We'll use vol/wah as an example

When wah is engaged w/ the toe switchto volume block will be disable and vs. versa.
This will make the volume block at 100 when the wah is enabled.
The volume and wah freq parameters will still change regardless of the toe switch position, but you will only hear the changes on the active effect.

When wah is engaged w/ the toe switchto volume block will be disable and vs. versa.
The volume and wah freq parameters will still change regardless of the toe switch position, but you will only hear the changes on the active effect.

That's what I want it to do, and I think is what many other users are after also. That is what I initially thought, the expression pedal will still be changing the values of both effects (vol, wah) but it won't matter because one or the other of the effects will be bypassed by the toe switch. Thanks again for clarifying javajunkie!

On the Boss Gt series the volume would be at 100% when the wah is activated also. So to clarify, the standard single toe switch single expression pot pedal looks as if it is capable of using in the Boss Gt style. Saweet! Mine should be here by the end of the week and hopefully I'll have a chance to double check and test it this weekend.

Ringleader said:

That's what I want it to do, and I think is what many other users are after also. That is what I initially thought, the expression pedal will still be changing the values of both effects (vol, wah) but it won't matter because one or the other of the effects will be bypassed by the toe switch.

On the Boss Gt series the volume would be at 100% when the wah is activated also. So to clarify, the standard single toe switch single expression pot pedal looks as if it is capable of using in the Boss Gt style. Saweet! Mine should be here by the end of the week and hopefully I'll have a chance to double check and test it this weekend.

It sounds like that should work fine.

Agreed. I think this should work. I'll try and get some additional testing done and document this in the manual.

James

Ringleader said:
Received my pedal today and dove right in but I encountered a problem right off the bat. I'm not seeing a bypass function on the volume block where I can add a modifier. :(

The theory does work as planned though because I tried it with an EQ block and wah block. Clicking the toe down toggles between the effects and the expression pedal only affects the active effect. :D

Now if only we had a way to add a bypass modifier on the routable volume/pan block I would be in business! I want to insert the volume block after the cab sim before the post effects (reverb, delay) so I get nice trails. Any suggestions?

Explain this in the wish list, it sounds like a reasonable request. I forgot the vol block doesn't have a bypass modifier.

I can post this on the wish list. I can also do a pedal modification discussed previously where the two outputs both become expression pedal outs and the toe switch switches between them. That way you will have two continuous inputs that you can assign to volume and effect. The trade off is I can't see an easy way that the switch can now be used to turn the effect on and off. You'd have to use auto engage or a controller assignment.

James

Back
Top Bottom