Anyone use the new Matrix FR212 for metal or any drop tuned riffage yet?

Trainwreck1446

Experienced
Would love to hear a demo of this. Would be the dream answer to my problems if it sounded good. I am a proud owner of a GT1000FX, would love to pair this up with it. Any vids out there With some heavy rhythm metal playing? I have heard the leads and they are killer, so not really looking for that. But as a ton of players here are metalheads, a demo of this would be a great seller. Thanks

+1

I am about to pull the trigger and order an FR212 myself and was just wishing there was more info and VIDEO's online to convince me it's a better match for the Axe FX than my traditional 2x12 cab.

I ditched FRFR originally, because it just hasn't been there for metal for me. Even bands like Between the Buried and Me, Animals as Leaders, etc, went back to Amp/Cab AFTER having done FRFR, so wondering where the disconnect is. FRFR is very appealing to me, especially in a 212 so I can be as flexible/versatile as possible.

I'm sure Lightningboy will give it his best shot, but please do try and remember that capturing the punch and power of the FR212 on video is a bit like trying to capture the smell of cooking ... sometimes you just have to trust the descriptive comments of whoever was actually there. Those who heard them at AxeFest2013 might be worth asking, as we played them long and hard in our demo room. There's also the Dutch AxeFest coming up.

I think Clarky had a good play in our demo room with a 7 string and a bit of 'drop A' ... it pretty much shook the building. His comments are in a thread hereabouts.

Just think yourselves lucky it's going to be Johns playing and not mine on the vids! I've been banned from that sort of thing after I turned the local villages milk sour ...

Haha. I'm the one that pushed Clarky to do that vid with the Q12. Was just wondering if the passive FRFR 212 had the same feel.

Haha. I'm the one that pushed Clarky to do that vid with the Q12. Was just wondering if the passive FRFR 212 had the same feel.

They'll sound much bigger than the Q12. If you need them to push air and vibrate various body parts they will. In the room at Axe Fest when we cranked them, not only could i feel the thump in my chest and trousers flapping, I could feel it on my hand. Just upgraded to firmware 12.01 so I'm dialling in patches now to use.

If you watch carefully, you can get an impression of how loud it was ... the monitor in the background and occasionally the whole room goes slightly out of focus as the bass hits :)

I'm guessing it wasn't *exactly* quiet then and you must have very tolerant neighbours!

You know it's too loud when the cats immediately sit at the back door to go out in the pouring rain, rather than listen to loud guitar!

What is this like at bedroom volumes? I've had a few problems with my RCF farting out. It's going in for repair, so i'll need a backup. I like to dial up my presets on my VXK's then into the RCF for final tweaking, but it's a little bassy at low volume.

What is this like at bedroom volumes? I've had a few problems with my RCF farting out. It's going in for repair, so i'll need a backup. I like to dial up my presets on my VXK's then into the RCF for final tweaking, but it's a little bassy at low volume.

The FR212 will perform fine at lower levels. the bass response it has is because of the lower range it is capable of achieving not because it is hyped or falsely added. As the video shows, it'll handle a detuned bass guitar no problem. If anything, at lower volumes, due to the Fletcher Munson curve, you'll probably need to add some bass just like with a studio monitor. Your sig says you're up in Wakey which isn't a million miles from me in Sheffield if you need to hear one!

Hi,
When will the active version be available for purchase ?
I like the clip from the Axe fest more.

Thanks,

Hi,
When will the active version be available for purchase ?
I like the clip from the Axe fest more.

Thanks,

We're working on the active modules and DSP features. There isn't a great deal of difference sound wise between the passives and actives (hence some extra DSP features we hope to implement). The main difference between clips will be room and the patch used. Last demo was Soldano and Das Metal based amps and the Axe Fest was a Brown amp.

How would you compare 2xCFR vs one FR212 ? I cant afford two FR212 at the moment :)
Thanks,

Personally, I'd take the single FR212 over the two CFRs. Better bass extension and will move some serious air if needed. To be honest I'm not missing stereo and it's nice to have that big backline feeling behind me again.

Cool, thanks. I am going to wait for the active one and order it when it comes out, hopefully soon.

Personally, I'd take the single FR212 over the two CFRs. Better bass extension and will move some serious air if needed. To be honest I'm not missing stereo and it's nice to have that big backline feeling behind me again.

Will the FR212 be released this year ?

Back
Top Bottom