Anyone use factory presets as building blocks?

dbun

Experienced
I started out building patches from scratch, but just yesterday took some time to go through the factory presets.

I've found a couple that really nail the tone I've been going for, so pinched those as building blocks for my presets. In particular the "Hot Kitty" and one of the presets based on the Boutique 1 amp.

Basically I just kept the amp+cab setup and added in my effects.

My main lead preset is based off the Britt Brown factory preset. I changed it up some what but I did use that factory preset to build my main lead patch. That's the only one I have used though.

I allways start with something i have. I think all my presets was a factory preset once. Just switch cab and amp, or just tweak a little to my taste.

When building a preset, I always start with the BYPASS preset. I've never gelled with any of the factory presets.

Same here. Bypass is my favorite factory preset. Factory presets are cool for messing around and getting ideas, but for my own tones I like starting with a blank slate.

I built 90% of my tunes based on half a dozen factory stock presets on my Ultra. To me some of the stock presets just can't be improved on cuz' their perfect.

I started by just "sampling" the factory presets starting from #1... Not paying any particular interest to what each one was unless I liked it. I played until I found a clean preset that caught my ear, and stopped. That was preset #40 (Buttery). Oddly (not really!), my main rig was based around Budda SuperDrive II amps and the Buttery model is of a Budda VerbMaster :)

At the time I was not using FRFR, so I basically just kept the amp block and started adding effect blocks to taste per my normal selection: compressor, delay and chorus. That preset grew over time and was the basis for my sound for the 1st couple months. Ultimately I added a 2nd amp block for lead sounds, and that turned into my "template" preset (before AE actually had a "template"!). All of my other presets have been built from this preset, with the only real difference being the clean amp in the preset.

And to this day (18+ months in), my main preset is still #40 :)

Kevin

I am more comfortable copying a preset that sounds close to what I am going for and adjusting it.

I would love to see the preset layout :)

I started by just "sampling" the factory presets starting from #1... Not paying any particular interest to what each one was unless I liked it. I played until I found a clean preset that caught my ear, and stopped. That was preset #40 (Buttery). Oddly (not really!), my main rig was based around Budda SuperDrive II amps and the Buttery model is of a Budda VerbMaster :)

At the time I was not using FRFR, so I basically just kept the amp block and started adding effect blocks to taste per my normal selection: compressor, delay and chorus. That preset grew over time and was the basis for my sound for the 1st couple months. Ultimately I added a 2nd amp block for lead sounds, and that turned into my "template" preset (before AE actually had a "template"!). All of my other presets have been built from this preset, with the only real difference being the clean amp in the preset.

And to this day (18+ months in), my main preset is still #40 :)

Kevin

Nope, I played with all the presets on the first day, then I deleted them. Not because there wasn't anything cool in there, but because of the way I go about programing presets. I always start with a dry volume, amp, and cab block, once I've got the amp tone I want, then I add effects.

However, I've always felt, when it comes to tone, you should do whatever gets you where you want to go.

I always use the presets to start. Everything is all wired up and if you don't want the effect right click and shunt. Most days I just pick a preset, mute the effects and dial in the drive.

It's killer.

I do both. I have built some from scratch and used presets for others. Started doing that with the Ultra and continue to do it with the FX-II. I do spend a lot of time tweaking them, but then that is half the fun.

I'm trying to build from scratch as I'd love to be able to dial in this box myself, so at the moment I'm trying to compare the factory preset to mine to see what's been done differently in the amp + cab block and learn from that.

I guess that I'm about 30/40/30 on how I build a preset. Sometimes it's from a factory patch, sometimes from a patch posted on the forum or Axechange and sometimes just taking a patch that I already have and just try a different amp/cab with it.

Preset. No sense, to me, reinventing the wheel if the wheel I want exists. Every now and again I have to (or just want to) invent my own wheel. Either way works, but I start with the presets unless I just can't find something close. That's been rare for me, as Fractal has put a pretty wide palette in the box.

I use presets almost every time. VERY heavily modded for my uses, but I don't make hugely convoluted presets; I like options, but the less I have to think about on stage is better for me. They all have the same basic framework revolving around 4 scenes (AMP/VERB, AMP/VERB/DLY, AMP/VERB/DRIVE, AMP/VERB/DLY/DRIVE and the 5th as some option that may be applicable in a song), but I'll have plenty of of advanced options and blocks configured/available if I need them buried inside.

I have some that I use factory presets. I have a jamming patch with the factory Friedman hbe preset that I added a clean amp to so I can switch between clean and dirt. The hbe side is pretty much untouched apart from a little band pass filtering on the cab block.

I actually use Factory Preset 1 & 2 for a lot of my clean stuff. All my presets originated from Factory Presets but I like to use Axe-Edit to copy blocks from different Factory Presets and combine them.

Back
Top Bottom