Anyone try the EV12 speakers with the AXE? The way to go?

aksman

Inspired
It seems the EV12 speakers have the flattest response, from what I've read. I am not sure if it's all of them, or just the EVML, EV Delta, EV Delta Pro, or EV Zakk Wyldes even.

Anyway, anyone use these? Can anyone chime in on if these are the ideal speakers in a passive cab if you want to use the cab sims in the AxeFX?

(Otherwise, is it best to just pick a good guitar speaker? I've heard good things about the Red Fangs, and currently don't mind my Hellatone G12H30s, but feel like I'm missing something/limiting myself here.

I was using V30's but have gone to EVM12l's and am really liking it no regrets they sound great....I keep amp sims on with no cab sims...

My guess would be, that if you play with cabsims turned OFF, it is solely your personal preference, if you like the EV12 (type) speakers better than any other guitar speaker.

If you want to play with cabsims turned ON, then even these EV12 (type) speakers are coloring the tone much more (too much for most guys as it seems) than any FRFR speaker.. They are still guitar speakers in the end..

i play my axe-fx through an ART SLA-2 into either a stereo-wired 4x12" cab with two Celestion G12-65 Heritage and two Jensen Jet Tornado speakers, or into the same 4x12" switched to mono plus an half-open back 2x12" with Weber Alnicos (Blue Dog and Siver Bell).
Using both cabs sounds totally majestic.. :mrgreen:
I like this setup far better than a full FRFR setup so far..

Although you could get lost in all those cabsim IRs out there, it still is personal preference what sound best to you..
When i dial in sounds at home through my studio monitors, i tend to also always use the same one or two cabsims, so why not use my beloved real cabs in live situation too?
I will definitely try and invest into two passive FRFR speakers / monitors in the long run and see if that get's me in the same ballpark than my "real" cabs.. It would make programming and using of sounds far easier, as i can just programm my sounds with cabsims ON for FOH use and use the very same final sound as my onstage monitor sound.

Using real cabs has this single (rather small though) drawback, that i need to use the fx.loop before cabsim trick, if i want to go direct FOH on stage too..

my 2 cents.

best regards,
quasimono

I like my current choice for speakers, BUT when i turn my cab sims off, it's really really fizzy. What's going on?

My guess would be, that if you play with cabsims turned OFF, it is solely your personal preference, if you like the EV12 (type) speakers better than any other guitar speaker.

True but also the amp sims all have there own character now something I did not hear before with V30's Going with EVM12l's was the single most important change I have made now my rig sounds Majestic too!

aksman said:
It seems the EV12 speakers have the flattest response, from what I've read. I am not sure if it's all of them, or just the EVML, EV Delta, EV Delta Pro, or EV Zakk Wyldes even.

Anyway, anyone use these? Can anyone chime in on if these are the ideal speakers in a passive cab if you want to use the cab sims in the AxeFX?

(Otherwise, is it best to just pick a good guitar speaker? I've heard good things about the Red Fangs, and currently don't mind my Hellatone G12H30s, but feel like I'm missing something/limiting myself here.

IMO The EVM-12L is still the best guitar speaker ever made.
It's the most efficient (i.e. the loudest watt for watt).
It can handle any amount of power that you will ever need a guitar speaker to be able to handle.
It sounds great for clean sounds as well as for overdriven sounds.
The only drawback is the weight. They are very heavy because they have huge magnets.

People who like their speakers to break up don't like them though because they do not distort.

I'm using 2 EVM-12Ls in open back cabs with my Ultra, powered by various power amps. Sounds great.

The Eminence Delta 12 Pro is billed as an EVM-12L replacement but it sounds nothing like an EVM-12L. It's just heavy because it's also got a big magnet. Sounds like poop though. IMO.

EV stopped making the 12L (for some really stupid reason) for several years.
The new Zak Wylde model has a higher power rating (300watts) than the Series II's (which were the last 12L that they made before the break). Don't know how much the ZW's sound like the Series II's. Probably better suited towards hevay metal playing.
The "EVM Classic" is supposed to be the same speaker as the Series II (200 watts).

No guitar speaker has a "flat response". They all roll off the extreme highs above 7k (most only go to 5k) and the extreme lows.
The EVM-12L has a peak around 3k as I recall, but is reasonably flat from about 60hz all the way up to just below 7k.

The Mesa Boogie Mark Series tones of the 70's, 80's, and 90's were all predicated on the EVM-12L. That's a lot of hit records.
Still, if you're a roots-rocker type of player you might like the sound of something less efficient.

I just got my Ultra and use it with a rocktron velocity 150 int two mesa 1x 12" cabinets with EV speakers.
Some of the sounds are amazing. Others disapoint me. Perhaps it's the velocity. I'm going to tweak and try my best but if I'm still not sure I'll send it back next week. :?

Comments on the Velocity aren't very favorable on the forum. Do a search for it. The ART SLA get much more praise. No personal experience, though. But don't blame the Axe for bad amplification.

Too bad there was such abuse of the trial period, it used to be 4 weeks. 2 weeks is almost to short to figure this thing out.

ROBO said:

True but also the amp sims all have there own character now something I did not hear before with V30's Going with EVM12l's was the single most important change I have made now my rig sounds Majestic too!

See I'm looking for a 12" Passive Speaker, for a Guitar Cabinet, that will work best WITH the cab sims.

I know that you'd need to diffuse the directivity of the speakers with some Beam Blockers or, better yet, JavaMan's foam doughnuts (far superior to using Dunkin' Donuts).

Additionally, guitar speakers cut off at end frequencies, but that's guitar sound, so I'm not interested in achieving all of those extra highs that people around here have been attributing to "ear fatigue."

SO... umm... ya... should I...uh???

aksman said:
See I'm looking for a 12" Passive Speaker, for a Guitar Cabinet, that will work best WITH the cab sims.

That seems like a bad idea.
guitar speakers roll off above a certain frequency.

With guitar speakers AND cab sims, this phenomenon is doubled. This will lead to a dull sound with no high-mids.

Regards,
Marco

JanB said:
I just got my Ultra and use it with a rocktron velocity 150 int two mesa 1x 12" cabinets with EV speakers.
Some of the sounds are amazing. Others disapoint me. Perhaps it's the velocity. I'm going to tweak and try my best but if I'm still not sure I'll send it back next week. :?

If you use the Axe's power amp sims then it works best if you use a hi-fidelity oriented power amp, not a power amp designed for use with guitar.
Power amps designed for use with guitar usually add some presence and have looser damping than a hi-fi power amp.
IMO If you are using a guitar-oriented power amp then it's best to defeat the power amps in the Axe and use it as a preamp w/FX only, at least for clean sounds.
But one of the hippest things about the Axe is that it not only models the sound of a clean tube power amp but also the sound of an overdriven power amp. That's not something you can do with a real preamp driving a real tube power amp unless you play *real loud* or unless it's a lo-watt amp.
So even if you use the Axe mostly as a preamp only, you might also want to have a few presets that do have the power amp sim on so that you can mimic power amp clipping at any volume.

Also...You can't really judge *anything* from the Axe's factory presets. Start tweaking now and learn this thing as well as you can in the time alotted.

IMO.

To the OP....
Using the cab sims into a guitar cabinet is generally a mistake unless you're looking for some sort of an exotic effect.
You may enjoy that effect when using hi-gain sounds.
But with a clean sound, if you're familiar with what a good clean amp sounds like, unless yuou're after some sort of an exotic effect, it's a mistake.

Now it may be possible to create a cab IR that allows for more seamless use of the cab sim IRs with a real guitar cabinet. It involves using 2 cabs. Cab 1 has an IR that is the exact inverse of the guitar speakers you're using. I.e. You need to record an imulse with your guitar speakers and process that so that it does the exact opposite to your signal of what your speaker does to the signal. This IR makes your guitar speaker sound as close to a flat response as it is capable of. The 2nd cab IR is a real cab IR and it's the one that you want your speaker to sound like. It can probably be done within a single stereo cab block but might need 2 separate cab blocks in series.
It's a highly technical endeavor and it will never be perfect.

Have a look at the thread I started in the Wish List forum called "Damn Stupid Idea?".
http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5225&hilit=stupid+idea
That should shed some light on it for you.

Back
Top Bottom