Anyone tried any of these midi boards?

f2bacon

ADA MP-1 - RFX MP-128 - ART X11 ?
They all seem like functioning midi controllers that could easily work with the axe fx.
Has anyone tried / does anyone use any of these? I'm pretty sure they're all phantom power, could any of them display axe patch names / tuner info?

Normal MIDI such as PC and CC (if aviable), most probably. No hope on tuner or names though AFAIK. Saying no on phantom power just for safety. It depends on your understanding of the concepts (not all are same), the wiring and choice of setup.

Had the ADA, don’t touch it, the switches stop functioning after awhile.
A friend had the ART.
All 3 are VERY old, who knows what the switches have gone through…
No tuner, no text, just numbers.

My suggest? If you are tight on the budget just grab a Behringer FCB1010 with UNO chip and your ok.

If you can spend some more, get the Roland FC300, it’s a very good controller.

I used to have an Art X-15 Ultrafoot (big brother to the X-11) with my old Triaxis and 2:90 rig. Big and heavy, but good quality. I have an FCB1010 now. Functionality is about the same, but not quite as ruggedly built. The FCB1010 is probably a bit more programable too. Check out the BJ Devices TB-12. That would be my next step in an upgraded footcontroller (pun intended...). A lot of great features and still MUCH cheaper than a MFC-101. Smaller than an FCB1010 too.

MIDI Controllers : TB-12 MIDI Controller

All those are medieval history, but will work for patch changes. More than that is slightly more unlikely. I have a $50 digitech Control 8 that has few buttons and a pedal, great for a lightweight rig.

Imo the ladder of madness is:
Random old ebay finds: 0-$70
Behringer FCB1010: $150'ish with the better eproms. Quite big size.
BJ Devices TB-12: $300'ish, with rugged construction and easy programming, two external expression pedals.
Fractal MFC101: $800
Liquid foot thingies
RJM Mastermind GT

All those are medieval history, but will work for patch changes. More than that is slightly more unlikely. I have a $50 digitech Control 8 that has few buttons and a pedal, great for a lightweight rig.

Imo the ladder of madness is:
Random old ebay finds: 0-$70
Behringer FCB1010: $150'ish with the better eproms. Quite big size.
BJ Devices TB-12: $300'ish, with rugged construction and easy programming, two external expression pedals.
Fractal MFC101: $800
Liquid foot thingies
RJM Mastermind GT

You forgot to mention the most popular and functionality vs. cost…the Ground Control Pro 400$.
One of the best boards out there for many years.

Also there is the Rocktron midi Raider that goes 400$ to 500$ and offers a little more than the GCP (more switches, biger display) but it's made in China now, not like the GCP made in the US.
Ooo also there is the old Lexicon MPX R1 that offers nice functionality and an expression pedal also, however a friend who used to own the Lexicon MPX R1 told me that the switches are not the most reliable…
The Lexicon MPX R1 is round 150$ - 200$ used, very good price for what it offers IMO.

I've rocked the Ground Control Pro for the last 4 years or so...been great. gets the job done for the most part. Any extra midi features are where the costs go up...you can find used GCP's for around 250-300. I'd sell you mine, but I have a button that is iffy, and one that doesnt work so pretty much limits the functionality of it to the 10 preset mode.

Back
Top Bottom