Anyone switch from a CLR Neo wedge to something else?

PRS513

Inspired
I purchased a CLR Neo active Wedge when the Neo first came out. I've had it for nearly two years now and have never been completely happy with the tone. The mids seem a bit honkey, and the lows seem to easily become boomy at gigging volume levels (been dropping the preset dB's to aid in resolving that). It's also a bit harsh on the high end frequencies, and what i mean by that is this...imagine you have some minor fret rattle/buzz, but it's the kind that sounds good when plugged straight into a Marshall. Yet, through the AxeFX and into the CLR, it's as if the CLR focuses on those frequencies and accentuates those frequencies.

Adding to that, I've been experiencing an issue since early December with the monitor suddenly cutting out all the low end frequencies and dropping a bit in volume. I turn the channel 1 or 2 volume knobs (i'm usually plugged into 1), and I can get the monitor to recover from this state. Adding yet again to that, I've been having problems getting responses from Tom King over at Atomic. He finally called back once I kinda made him feel bad in an email I sent to him by quoting and pasting a snapshot of his excellent customer service quote from his website. We troubleshot it over the phone finding one issue that might possibly be the culprit, and we left it at, "I'll call you if the problem persists so i can work out sending it to you for repair".

Well the problem never went away and I've been emailing him for over a week now with no response. I feel like I've wasted $1,400 bucks. So I've decided it's time to try something else. If he calls back and the problem can be fixed then at least i'll have a backup monitor to whatever I buy next. Because I've gotta say that as of right now I cannot trust this monitor in a performance, and I also cannot trust the company to keep their word or stand by their product. Once you've lost that trust it's very difficult to get it back.

Here's where I ask the community to suggest alternatives based on what you have used and experienced. You guys have always been very thoughtful and helpful with your suggestions these last couple of years, so i value the input I've been able obtain from all of you. It would be great if i could find another two channel monitor (2nd is for a vocal/band mix), but if it has to be one channel, or even a non wedge monitor, then i'll do what I have to do to make it work. I would also prefer a self powered 1x12 cab or monitor (plus horn of course).

I'm currently setting up my AxeFX to use with my Marshall JVM (the available midi control helped that decision). I tried just using the power section via the FX Loop return which sounded okay (better than the CLR issues with the frequencies I described earlier), and I tried it with the 4 cable method which is sounding pretty good so far, so i'm thinking i'll try that for a while just for something different. I've shut off the Cab & Amp modeling, so i'm going to be missing that for a little while until I decide on an alternative to replace my CLR.

Looking forward to some suggestions, and thanks in advance!

What I've discovered with Tom's email is that he seems to miss replies. Start an email with a different subject line and I get a reply really promptly.

I've noticed quite the difference in sound between my standard CLR and my new Neo, to the point that Tom replaced the Neo. They still sound quite different, which surprised me. I've not experienced dropouts or anything like that. I'd try Tom again with a different email subject and get that fixed.

Someone just alerted me to this thread. Sorry for the breakdown in communications. I sent you a PM. Shoot me back your email and phone number and I'll make sure we figure out the reason and take care of your issue. Thanks.

Hi PRS513,

I have had similar problems to you including "roominess" etc. and just emailed my dealer in Brisbane Australia as a first point of resolution. Its going to cost me significant $$ to pack and ship back to him.

Hi Tom, if you see this please get in touch (peter.jakes@gmail.com) to assist me in trouble shooting what may be the cause. I am fairly ok at having to take apart the components to trouble shoot.

Thanks

I went from the CLR to the RCF (NX12SMA I think it is) to the Friedman ASM-12. Haven't looked back since - in fact, getting another ASM.

The CLR has great clarity, but in comparison to the ASM, the ASM killed it every sense EXCEPT actual size and transportability. Other than that, that's it.

I've been trying to contact Atomic Amps to find out about availability of the Atomic CLR Neo and I am getting zero response. I'd like to give them my money and purchase one. Even adding myself to the reserve list from their store provides no email confirmation so I'm not even sure if I'm on the list at all. I've borrowed a CLR from a friend and I am very happy with the way it sounds but now I am considering other options. I gig regularly and I need something decent soon as possible. I've heard great things about the RCF NX12SMA and here in Canada it's around the same price range as the NEO would be by the time I get it here. What are the big differences in tone between these 2? I am currently using a QSC10 just to get by and it's just not cutting it when I compare directly to the CLR. My tones dialed in with the CLR are translating out front much better than when I'm using the QSC10. But I can't borrow one for much longer.

Is anyone getting response from Atomic Amps at all?

I went from the CLR to the RCF (NX12SMA I think it is) to the Friedman ASM-12. Haven't looked back since - in fact, getting another ASM.

The CLR has great clarity, but in comparison to the ASM, the ASM killed it every sense EXCEPT actual size and transportability. Other than that, that's it.
Hi, not to side track the thread but I have 2
CLR active cabs...and was looking at the ASM. Just wondering if you feel the ASM is superior for all music types of maybe more so for heavier stuff. I am mainly jazz, blues and classic rock stuff.

Thanks
Derek

I bought an ASM after getting my CLR (non-neo). I far preferred the ASM's sound but its size and weight just make it impractical for the kind of venues I regularly play. I've always found the CLR to be kind of honky as well, and also over-accentuates highs. I just try to make it work. Honestly, some of the best use I've gotten from the CLR is as a full range PA speaker when we've forgotten to bring a side fill. Sometimes I just use it for that in lieu of moving any air on stage (I use IEM's so it doesnt make that much difference to me)

Still happy with the RCF NX12SMA, and can recommend it easily after hundreds of trouble-free gigs. More directional than the CLR, which can be good or bad depending on what you need. Sound-wise, it's a winner.

Still happy with the RCF NX12SMA, and can recommend it easily after hundreds of trouble-free gigs. More directional than the CLR, which can be good or bad depending on what you need. Sound-wise, it's a winner.

At its price point, I would certainly hope it'd be beyond reproach.

Hi, not to side track the thread but I have 2
CLR active cabs...and was looking at the ASM. Just wondering if you feel the ASM is superior for all music types of maybe more so for heavier stuff. I am mainly jazz, blues and classic rock stuff.

Thanks
Derek

Hi mate,
I found the ASM to be a better fit all-round. My main style is hard rock --> hi gain. It's definitely suited more to the heavier stuff but that said though, it's more natural sounding or 'cab-like' sounding or 'real' compared to the CLR.. Again man, it depends on what your expectations are and what your ears naturally gravitate towards.. Definitely worth checking out if you get the opportunity..

Good luck mate

At its price point, I would certainly hope it'd be beyond reproach.
I agree they're not cheap. Through AudioPyle, it's more than the standard CLR and less than the Neo. Unfortunately, nothing is beyond reproach these days but this speaker has been great sounding and fault free. When your reputation is on the line each night, it's not really that much money. I think of it like this: I wouldn't bat an eye at buying a guitar for that price if I liked it. Why think differently about what makes the good guitar actually audible? That's my take on it, others may not agree and I am completely ok with that.

I agree they're not cheap. Through AudioPyle, it's more than the standard CLR and less than the Neo. Unfortunately, nothing is beyond reproach these days but this speaker has been great sounding and fault free. When your reputation is on the line each night, it's not really that much money. I think of it like this: I wouldn't bat an eye at buying a guitar for that price if I liked it. Why think differently about what makes the good guitar actually audible? That's my take on it, others may not agree and I am completely ok with that.

Sure, I'm not knocking it at all, just pointing out that its pretty dear. I didn't know you could get them for less than a NEO though. Cheapest I've ever seen the RCF online was in the $1700 range. Is the audiopyle thing a non-advertised price or something?

Hi mate,
I found the ASM to be a better fit all-round. My main style is hard rock --> hi gain. It's definitely suited more to the heavier stuff but that said though, it's more natural sounding or 'cab-like' sounding or 'real' compared to the CLR.. Again man, it depends on what your expectations are and what your ears naturally gravitate towards.. Definitely worth checking out if you get the opportunity..

Good luck mate
excellent, thanks for the info! :)

Sure, I'm not knocking it at all, just pointing out that its pretty dear. I didn't know you could get them for less than a NEO though. Cheapest I've ever seen the RCF online was in the $1700 range. Is the audiopyle thing a non-advertised price or something?
Contact Mike there, and tell him you're from the forum. He will treat you right.

I dumped my CLR neos, had nothing but problems with them..I liked them but couldnt deal with all the issues..I have a pair of old plastic FBT Maxx2a's ive been using. sounds great. I am really wanting to get a pair of the RCF's someday.

I had a pair of the RFC's and they sounded great. I just prefer the way the CLR's sound and feel in a band mix.

Back
Top Bottom