Anyone still using the atomic cabs Passive?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Interested in FRFR again and thinking of trying the Atomic Passives (cabinet version not wedge) with a solid state Matrix Power Amp. Anyone use these? Volume and sound good? Please enlighten!

Tremonti... after seeing the several posts you've made about amps, speakers, etc... I can tell you're GAS'n big time! Also, knowing how particular you are about your tone from previous posts and being a typical guitar cab kind of guy... which of course is just fine, I am this way too... may I make a suggestion?

With the new offerings coming from Atomic with their coaxial CLR line, and from Matrix with their coaxial FRFR solution, my advice would be to be patient, and wait it out. I think you and I are similar in the tones we like from our guitar cabs. I have a feeling if you jump on the FRFR that's currently out there (the RCF that Scott and others are using being the exception), you'll be very disappointed, and move back to your guitar cabs fairly quickly.

I know it's tough waiting it out... trust me, I know... been GAS'n for a good FRFR solution for a while now... but I think our patience will pay off in the end.

This of course is all in my opinion, and in the spirit of just helping out another forum brother going thru the same GAS pains as me. :mrgreen

Ya I hear ya! I love the Mesa. But I am tired of spending $250 every year to retube that bastard. Also it weighs a ton and I'm always having to be careful with it because of glass tubes.

Also the Mesa colors the tone a lot. Which it sounds great, but it makes a lot of the amp models sound similar. I think going FRFR and solid state will make each amp model shine. But I still want the FRFR to be in a traditional cab form. A FRFR 2x12 stereo cabinet would be amazing! I'm waiting to see what appears in next few months. I'd get a RCF but it's a wedge

What I would suggest, is getting a SS rack mount power amp. Then you can use it with both guitar cabs AND passive FRFR cabs. And because I have one and love it, I'll recommend the Matrix GT800FX. Tons of clean power, it's Class A/B and is MOSFET driven. It's only 1U, and only weighs about 8 lbs. Right now I'm running mine into a Mesa Recto 4x12, and it sounds fantastic. I use my Axe II with power amp modeling ON, and cab sims OFF.

So, with this solution I'm set either way, depending upon my mood/situation. Guitar cab or one of the new coaxial based passive FRFR solutions from Atomic or Matrix. Total win/win. :mrgreen

Tremonti
I’m going to mirror what Tom said and just add one thing, I own the passive Atomics and have never been that content with them, they do sound good other guitar players like what’s coming out, but have always felt it could be a bit better. Atomic and Matrix has new offerings coming up and since we have heard a sample of it already (from Matrix), I’m excited about this already, even with the YouTube video and camera mic there is something there that I like.

But in the meantime yeah, consider the Matrix for your power amp, I have used a few different amps Atomic Mono block, Art SLA-2, and a Carvin DCM200L. Never cared for the SLA-2 but all the others sounded good. If there was no Matrix I would have got a Carvin 1540L (one of the big brothers to the 200L) and been happy and still could be happy with that, but the Matrix is still sweeter. Also handles both worlds really well, FRFR and conventional cabs.

John

Forgot!
The New York Amp Show (held in New Jersey), should be coming up in early June. I would think Atomic would be there with the new CLR, so if that does occur I’ll report back. Only two months away (if the show even occurs).

But you might be busy with your Matrix power amp :mrgreen

I believe coming off a Mesa 2:90 and going to a Matrix, or any amp that is more neutral compared to the 2:90 is going to require a different approach in the way you program. My point you will be busy, time will go fast. Don’t rush on the FRFR cabs right now. If you do get the Matrix power amp, your back will thank you. I use to have that amp myself (2:90) with a TriAxis, it might be only two rack spaces but dam that thing was heavy.

John

Last edited:
+1 on all above

I've got a conventional 2x12 EVM12 loaded pine cab which I don't want to sell even if I go fully FRFR, so I'm going for the Matrix Rack amp - probably GT1000FX and then retire my Mesa 50/50.

I'll wait and see what the new FRFR coaxial cab offerings turn out to be and maybe get one or two of them in passive form to complete the final FRFR link in the chain.

Back
Top Bottom