Anyone still using a tube amp?

I run a humbuster straight into the front of a jumped Marshall 1987x with a Vox greenback cab, couldn’t be happier with the translation of tone with the added bonus of feeling it in the chest.

How loud do you have to go before you enjoy that setup? I have been intrigued but always thought that uncomfortable volume was required before the power amp actually imparted any magic.
I keep power amp modeling on with that setup so it sounds good at reasonable volume. With that said I do like to feel it a bit anyway. :)

It's been a while but I just fired up the FM9 into the EVH 50w stealth FX loop into '02 Mesa 4x12. Just absolutely fkn killer setup.
So I just tried cab packs made by Mirror Profiles (2001 trad and 2002 OS) and holy moly.. these are by far the best mesa IR’s ever. it destroys every other mesa cab pack and I thought I had them all from all the vendors. that 2002 OS pack sounds and feels just like my personal 2002 OS straight/slant cab. Just crazy good IR’s. They are much more real and lively sounding than other IR’s. thanks so much for this tip man !

So I just tried cab packs made by Mirror Profiles (2001 trad and 2002 OS) and holy moly.. these are by far the best mesa IR’s ever. it destroys every other mesa cab pack and I thought I had them all from all the vendors. that 2002 OS pack sounds and feels just like my personal 2002 OS straight/slant cab. Just crazy good IR’s. They are much more real and lively sounding than other IR’s. thanks so much for this tip man !
Sweet! Yeah man they're great. Glad I could help!

guilty.... :persevere: but only for small and short amounts of time....and as i write this i'm making a note to self, "i really need to rethink this (amp ownership)"
for charting songs, practicing and gigging... it's 100% FAS.

Thank you! That cab is my personal favourite out of every cab I’ve ever used. Straight/slant and that particular year of speakers is just magic. Very cool you have a similar one, keep hold of it!

How loud do you have to go before you enjoy that setup? I have been intrigued but always thought that uncomfortable volume was required before the power amp actually imparted any magic.
To actually feel the thump in your chest, you need ear-damaging volume.

funny side note - i only just recently realized that the "Q" in "QSC" is the Quilter president/owner...🤦‍♂️:p
Here's the story as told to me by Chris Parks and Pat. In the late 60's Pat started making tube amps. Then when the tube amp business got stagnant he decided to focus on building sound reinforcement amps and cabs. So he and a couple of friends started QSC. About ten years ago Pat decided to retire and Chris asked him what he wanted to do. He said he wanted to start making guitar and bass amps again only making them super dependable and lightweight. Given his knowledge of tube amp circuity and the use of digital (class D) power amp circuity, somehow he figured out how to make a solid state amp sound like tubes. He wanted to make sure that they took pedals and modelers really well (what most tube amps don't do) He succeeded in both realms. All the model Quilters that I own work really well with my Axe-Fx III. I've had my Steelaires for about ten years now. I got two of the very first ones after hearing them at a friends music shop. I still am blown away by how good they sound with my Axe.

Last edited:
I still have Laney 5LStudio head but very rare I use it.
Here and there I use Axe FX 3 with my power amp GPA-400 and Laney LT212 cabinet (stereo modded),
Today I took out my Laney 5L Studio head and bought Boss Katana Artist MkII Head.

First usage with Katana was pleasant experience, sound good, also there is that "dynamic" so when
playing soft touch then sound becomes clean and when rough touch then crunch. Enough good
sounds straight from the box but better when little tweaking yourself. I bought that because wanted
amp that have some effects and options to tweak sound more.

But I still have my Axe FX III and that is my number one equipment :D

Here's the story as told to me by Chris Parks and Pat. In the late 60's Pat started making tube amps. Then when the tube amp business went into got stagnant he decided to focus on building sound reinforcement amps and cabs. So he and a couple of friends started QSC. About ten years ago Pat decided to retire and Chris asked him what he wanted to do. He said he wanted to start making guitar and bass amps again only making them super dependable and lightweight. Given his knowledge of tube amp circuity and the use of digital (class D) power amp circuity, somehow he figured out how to make a solid state amp sound like tubes. He wanted to make sure that they took pedals and modelers really well (what most tube amps don't do) He succeeded in both realms. All the model Quilters that I own work really well with my Axe-Fx III. I've had my Steelaires for about ten years now. I got two of the very first ones after hearing them at a friends music shop. I still am blown away by how good they sound with my Axe.
cool story thank you for sharing! loving my Quilters even more 🙏 ❤️

I sold all my tube amps since getting the FM9. But lately I've been thinking about getting another tube amp. Does anyone still use tube amps now and then, or do most just use their Fractal?
I actually use my FM3 with my Marshall combo amp. Sounds pretty good.

I use Axe FX 3 and also Katana-ArtistMKII Head (I sold my Laney L5 Studio Head)

Laney was nice and good sounds but even Katana is not tube it's really good dynamic sounding amp and
there is much more variety of tweaking sound than my ex-Laney.

Pictures of my Katana-ArtistMKII Head (also that modded Laney LT212 cab).

KatanaArtistMKIIhead.jpg

KatanaArtistMKIIhead_LaneyLT212Modded.jpg

I use Axe FX 3 and also Katana-ArtistMKII Head (I sold my Laney L5 Studio Head)

Laney was nice and good sounds but even Katana is not tube it's really good dynamic sounding amp and
there is much more variety of tweaking sound than my ex-Laney.

Pictures of my Katana-ArtistMKII Head (also that modded Laney LT212 cab).

View attachment 138983

View attachment 138984
Do you use the Kantana as power amp or do you still like the sound more than FM3? I am just interested.

Back
Top Bottom