Anyone put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in a Les Paul?

I did put 'em in my '73 for a while. But they just didn't have the individual string articulation in rhythm mode that I wanted. I much prefer the Duncans that I replaced them with.

A buddy of mine has them in his mid/late 70's Gold Top (came with soapbars I believe), and it sounds great to me. I used to use his LP as a backup to my 81 Silverburst, and I honestly preferred using his guitar because of that P/U! (Even though mine looked better! lol) I put a SD JB in it though, and never wanted to play his LP again. YMMV

Phil Collen is a long time Super Distortion user. The awesome solo on Photograph is a Super Distortion in a Les Paul Custom Ibanez Destroyer.

Last edited:
He said he overdubbed with the Destroyer in the video, so yeah the dive bomb is most likely the Khaler.

Very 70s, The super distortion should largely be obsolete these day as the scenario it was designed for no longer is the case. It was all about hitting the front end a lot harder because amps had very little gain. Now we can get any amount of any flavour of gain we want having a numb mid heavy pickup with no subtlety and a terrible clean sound isn't needed.

Back
Top Bottom