Anyone mastering to vinyl here?

Sixstring

Legend!
I'm curious, I heard vinyl records are making somewhat of a comeback and the fact that I just took a job at the only U.S. based manufacturing plant of Vinyl master blanks that I know of, Apollo Masters!

There is some really cool history here and I get to maintain all of the old machines that are a part of this process.

So far I'm loving the job, a bit of a commute for me at the moment (1.5 hrs one way) but working on fixing that and it is a lot better than selling Solar which I'm still doing on the side.

I would be interested to hear of anyone that is actually doing this process!

Well, here in Melbourne Australia the independents, hipsters, and cool young folk in general have taken on vinyl with enthusiasm.
My GF's band just released their album as digital download and...12" vinyl.
There's a couple of mastering/pressing "plants" (read "one-man operations"..) around locally who do small runs.
Here's a couple:

https://smallrun.com.au
http://www.zenithrecords.org

And it is quite cool, decent sized artwork, you put a record on etc etc, all that stuff.
Howevs, I was in a particularly hipster cafe the other day, waiting for my coffee, went to see what was playing on the obligatory record player in the corner..no record! Looking below...a cassette deck!
"Wow..a cassette" i said "haven't seen one of those in a while, i've got boxes of the things lying around somewhere in storage."
The cafe dudes eye's light up..
"Hey man, bring them over, they're really hard to come by, I'll buy them off you"
!
!!
!!!
Really?

Anyway...

And of course, vinyl has always held a spot in the DJ world.

Fashion, music, gadgets, we love 'em all in our own special ways, right kids?!

Carl

Very Cool! I wonder if they are buying the master blanks from us? I know that one of our biggest customers is in Europe. We have one shipment every other month that goes that direction and it almost equals the total sales here in the US for the entire year!

I'm in the process of getting my band album done for vinyl. Just got the new masters back, and it's lovely hearing the dynamics in the mix rather than the standard digital/CD brickwall.

I'm curious, I heard vinyl records are making somewhat of a comeback and the fact that I just took a job at the only U.S. based manufacturing plant of Vinyl master blanks that I know of, Apollo Masters!

There is some really cool history here and I get to maintain all of the old machines that are a part of this process.

So far I'm loving the job, a bit of a commute for me at the moment (1.5 hrs one way) but working on fixing that and it is a lot better than selling Solar which I'm still doing on the side.

I would be interested to hear of anyone that is actually doing this process!

Yes, vinyl has been keeping my company in business for a while now. We don't do the vinyl mastering here (so we may be indirectly one of your customers) but we make the mother, stamper & press vinyl here, as well as CD's, DVD's & yes, cassettes. We are doing more & more cassette jobs lately!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom