Anyone Like To Try Different Tone Stacks in the Amp Block?

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
I've done this a couple times when I get the urge to use an amp model I don't normally use, and last night it was an ODS model, and after going through all the tone stacks..., I got lost! :tearsofjoy: Kinda forgot which ones I liked... shoulda been taking notes. But iirc I ended up liking the way the Vibra Verb and the USA Bass paired with that ODS. Something about the way the notes felt under my fingers, and the dynamics.

Anyone else like to do this tweak? What do you like?

And if anyone would mind, I'd love a basic explanation of how this parameter works. In non-tech speak, please. ;)

Also curious if this parameter is available in the FM3 or 9.

I have done this with prior firmware versions. I haven't found a need since the last several updates. They have really nailed it. I don't really change much anymore. This option is available in all Fractal modelers.

And if anyone would mind, I'd love a basic explanation of how this parameter works. In non-tech speak, please. ;)

Different circuit topologies provide different EQ shapes. Some provide smooth changes when tweaking the Bass/Mid/Treble, others are radical and they interact with each other. They are very different to the standard BMT controls of the Hi-Fi audio equipment

After you change the Tone Stack type you shall play with the BMT controls, moving them all from one extreme to the other to notice how they respond

A good way to "visually" learn how they shape the EQ curve is to play with the Tone Stack Calculator. It is a simple program, easy to use and to install.

1660608626403.png

https://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

Last edited:
Different circuit topologies provide different EQ shapes. Some provide smooth changes when tweaking the Bass/Mid/Treble, others are radical and they interact with each other. They are very different to the standard BMT controls of the Hi-Fi audio equipment

After you change the Tone Stack type you shall play with the BMT controls, moving them all from one extreme to the other to notice how they respond

A good way to "visually" learn how they shape the EQ curve is to play with the Tone Stack Calculator. It is a simple program, easy to use and to install.

View attachment 106656

https://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/
Ok, that helps get me thinking in the right direction.
So like how Mesa amps' tone knobs are progressive, this gives you a way of substituting the various ways they respond, into amps that don't necessarily work that way?
Hmmm, seems like you'd almost need to know ahead of time what you're looking for, and probably how to do it, before bothering with this sort of tweak, as it seems it could really be a deep rabbit hole.
I'm starting to think I'd really need to know how various amps work before delving into this, otherwise it seems like it be just a bunch of guessing.

Oh well. I'll look at that calculator. Thanks for the explanation!

The TSC and the Bertom EQ Curve are different animals for different purposes. TSC allows you to visualize the curve of a ToneStack design without the need of external hardware or VSTs. Ideal for designing a circuit or for learning how the different circuits work. Besides selecting the topology, you can also change the values of the components (resistors, caps and pots) to see the final result. Bertom EQ Curve is a signal generator/analyzer to visualize the actual frequency response of a hardware device or VST.

For easily learning how the diferent tonestacks work, I would recommend TSC. Bertom EQ would require a lot of work and time, and a hardware setup

Just my opinion, but unless you already have a really specific idea of how you'd like the tone controls to behave, these simulations are useless in practice. Choosing a tone stack isn't about going for some particular tone, it's about the whole universe of possibilities you want to have available.

The Axe is a great tone control simulator all by itself.
  • You can hear the results as audio immediately, instead of imagining what a response graph would sound like.
  • You can easily adjust the controls of the network you're trying out, and hear what all those settings of it sound like.
  • It comes with a library of tone stacks from respected real-world amps.
  • it also comes with a library of amps and a library of cabs you can use to hear the effect of all this as you'll actually use them.

Yes, but it seems like the OP wanted to know some theoretical details. Nothing like visualizing the curve for that.

e.g.: in one minute I can see the differences between the Marshall, Fender and Vox circuits with all the controls at noon, and learn that they do not have a flat curve. The Fender and the Vox have a deep cut at the Mid frequencies when the knobs are in the middle.

Marshall:
1660615636498.png
Fender:
1660615672903.png
Vox:
1660615699219.png

Yes, but it seems like the OP wanted to know some theoretical details. Nothing like visualizing the curve for that.

In one minute I can see the differences between the Marshall, Fender and Vox circuits with all the controls at noon, and learn that they do not have a flat curve. The Fender and the Vox have a deep cut at the Mid frequencies when the knobs are in the middle.

Marshall:
View attachment 106662
Fender:
View attachment 106664
Vox:
View attachment 106665
Fair point.

Back
Top Bottom