Anyone keep their MFC in a rack drawer?

BenLevy

Inspired
I have an MFC and two Mission pedals. Can't decide if I want to carry around a pedalboard in a case, or drop them in rack drawers. Anyone keep them in drawers and wish they used a pedalboard instead? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Not sure the answer but just wanted to say hey neighbor!

I'm in Buford and lived in Suwanne a few years ago.

Wow, sounds like we have the makings of an Atlanta User Group! I, too, don't have the answer as I just purchased my MFC 30 minutes ago, but I'd like to know.
In Virginia Highlands.

I lived in the city for years but moved way out. It was hard to have a recording studio in a small house in the city!

I'm in Dublin Ga, "In between Macon & Savanna" I'm also in the Studio, but I do know the diminsions of the MFC are made for a rack drawer. I plan on transporting mine in a drawer but I have a 4u now, but getting a 6u. Was using a pedal board before the Axe Fx, and "for what I do" it was way to much trouble. BTW how do u like your Mission Pedals? I'm looking @ the vol. pedal.

BTW how do u like your Mission Pedals? I'm looking @ the vol. pedal.
They're brand new, haven't used them yet. I can tell you they're heavy and solid, you could take out that jerk spilling beer on your board with one. :) I'm still setting up presets on the AxeFx. I find a nice tone and end up noodling with it instead of getting the rig ready for gigging... Too many great sounds in there.

I'm in Dublin Ga, "In between Macon & Savanna" I'm also in the Studio, but I do know the diminsions of the MFC are made for a rack drawer. I plan on transporting mine in a drawer but I have a 4u now, but getting a 6u. Was using a pedal board before the Axe Fx, and "for what I do" it was way to much trouble. BTW how do u like your Mission Pedals? I'm looking @ the vol. pedal.
I like the Mission, solid and works well with the Axe. Haven't tried it yet with MFC, still waiting on delivery. I also have a 6u SKB roto rack but am hoping to put Axe and MFC in a 4u with power strip in back. Even better would be to cram in a wireless unit, but that would be lucky. If a 4u works the 6u would go up for sale.
I'm serious about an Atlanta user group. I'm on vacation for a week but may start looking for a place that would accommodate if there is interest.

I have a generic 4 space rack bag, and the MFC with rubber feet removed barely fits underneath the Ultra along with a single Exp pedal made from Crybaby - could probably fit two. I use a piece of Egg-crate foam on top of the MFC. You'd need a 3 space rack drawer, which could add considerable weight. I like the convenience of having it all in one bag, as small and light as possibly. A pedalboard would be a bit quicker to set up if you keep the MFC & Exp pedals attached and plugged in.

I have a 10-space rack on 4" wheels. It has five empty spaces. The difference comes down to plugging two cables in between the expressions and MFC vs lugging a separate pedalboard. The cost for the drawer and pedalboard will probably be around the same. Leaning towards the drawer. Thanks for the info tubetonz, would have guessed a 2u drawer would do it...

I have a 10-space rack on 4" wheels. It has five empty spaces. The difference comes down to plugging two cables in between the expressions and MFC vs lugging a separate pedalboard. The cost for the drawer and pedalboard will probably be around the same. Leaning towards the drawer. Thanks for the info tubetonz, would have guessed a 2u drawer would do it...

Without actually trying one, I have to assume that the overall depth of a 2 space drawer would be slightly less than the space from the bottom of rack to the bottom of a rack unit 2 spaces above. As it is, if I put the MFC in "backwards" with the rear facing forward, to get it completely underneath the AxeFX the top row of switches have to be depressed slightly. That top row is the tallest point. Leaving a blank space above, a 2U drawer should work.

Last edited:
I had to get a 3U drawer for mine as well. I didn't try taking the rubber feet off, but given the height there's no way to fit it in a 2U drawer.

As others have already said, the 3U drawer is heavy all by itself. Put the MFC in and I have an anvil to carry. I just ordered a pedal board/case anyway. I'd rather have 2 medium-weight components to carry than 1 heavy one.

I had to get a 3U drawer for mine as well. I didn't try taking the rubber feet off, but given the height there's no way to fit it in a 2U drawer.

As others have already said, the 3U drawer is heavy all by itself. Put the MFC in and I have an anvil to carry. I just ordered a pedal board/case anyway. I'd rather have 2 medium-weight components to carry than 1 heavy one.

Thanks for the reply. Does the 3u drawer have enough clearance where you have had to have a layer of foam across the bottom? Which drawer did you get? Could you fit the MFC and two Mission pedals in the one drawer? If so, if you're going to sell it, PM me. :)

Hi BenLevy,

I wish I could remember the brand name, but it's a generic looking, black rack drawer without a lock and I bought it on ebay. If I remember I'll post the brand, but it's not stamped on the drawer anywhere I can see.

For now I can tell you that the thing you should look for when comparing drawers is that you need at least a 15+7/8ths" internal width and a minimum 10+1/4" depth. There seems to be plenty of 3u drawers with acceptable internal height/depth dimensions to fit the MFC, but the internal width is where some come up short.

As far as fitting 2 additional pedals in the drawer as well, I don't know of any drawer that will handle all that. I was looking for the same kind of solution for my MFC + 2 mission pedals, and some here mentioned that NYCpedalboards makes a custom-sized case just for that combo. I ordered one, and I should have it this week.

Maybe not the solution you're looking for, but they make pretty cool cases and seem like good guys. I'm currently using the drawer to hold my little 4 channel mixer and midi interface instead of the MFC, so I don't think I'll be selling it. Sorry. :)

Back
Top Bottom