Anyone have build plans for a 1x12 thiel cab?

frankiev

Experienced
I was going thru the large mountain of my previous GAS attacks and found an EV12L in a sealed cab that I had forgotten about (along with a few other surprises) Id like to build a mesa thiele cab for it but Ive done a search but cant find the plans .Im hoping someone here has the plans or perhaps someone with a mesa thiele cab would be kind enough to post the measurements ,
Thanks

3/4 ply would probably be good. A carpenter friend I work with cut the pieces for me and I believe he used some type of laminated compressed board on mine. I think it's called mdf board but not sure, very strong though. For the joints I just drilled, glued and used drywall screws. It's solid as a rock. This is my favorite cabinet by far, loaded with am EV12L.

I just made a rack stand/case for my Axe using 16mm MDF. It's not the cheapest option, but it's strong, very easy to work with, and as far as I know pretty commonly used in cab construction. If I was making a cab I'd most definitely use MDF.

From a sonic point of view, MDF is the worst wood you can use. It yields ringing frequencies in the medium frequency range.

Plywood (and even chipboard) will give better results.

The reason many hifi loudspeakers companies use MDF is that it is very appropriate for CNC machining. Tone ? Who cares about THAT ?

Out of curiosity I googled "mdf speaker cabs" and haven't found many bad things to say about it, mostly good things actually. Yes it is a bit heavy, but a theile cabinet isn't very big to begin with. All I know is that I used it to build mine and I love the way it sounds...I would highly recommend using the mdf over plywood for a theile cabinet. But what do I know?

David dP said:
From a sonic point of view, MDF is the worst wood you can use. It yields ringing frequencies in the medium frequency range.
Incorrect. MDF has much lower Q than plywood and is therefore less prone to ringing at any frequency.

Plywood (and even chipboard) will give better results.
Incorrect.

The reason many hifi loudspeakers companies use MDF is that it is very appropriate for CNC machining.
Void-free Birch is a very machinable material. Lots of CNC-based shops use that material. MDF isn't enough better in that department to have a compelling advantage.

Tone ? Who cares about THAT ?
Umm, well, lessee, the company who designs recording studios for major-name artists and whose custom loudspeaker design I manufacture on an OEM basis. Not only do they care about "tone," so do their clients (whose names you would definitely recognize). The enclosure material? MDF. Why? Because it the best wood-based material for the purpose.

OTOH, I would caution against using MDF for portable cabinets, because the corners and edges are too easily damaged, and it takes exposure to the elements very poorly.

The two main problems with MDF have been pointed out: weight and durability. Otherwise, MDF is the choice for many high-end applications where cost is not a factor. However, for a portable guitar cab, I would go with a braced plywood design (1/2 void free birch) instead of MDF, because it will both much lighter and stronger, but that doesn't mean it will sound better.

guitarcab.jpg

Here's a pic of my cab before tolexing and finishing.

dscf2924.jpg

And in use with my Mark III. Looks like I need to hit inside the baffles with some black spray :eek:

Back
Top Bottom