Anyone have any tones similar to this?

I would start with a Fender style amp, stick a boost style Drive in front (RCB, Microboost, SDD).

Add a Delay (I hear some modulation, so try Deluxe Mind Guy) with the Mix and Feedback fairly low (8-15%) and a Reverb (maybe one of the Studio types).

Everything I've ever heard from Mateus sounds network beautiful and this is stuff I could listen to all day.

First question is "can you get that tone with the gear he is using ?" If yes you will have no trouble programming your own patch.
The reason I say this is tone is a journey through your playing. You only have to look on YouTube to see just how much the same piece of gear sounds from good to terrible depending on the player. Gear is only your potential tone and it is up to you to fully realise it. Same with a particular amp model. Start with a Fender amp with a bit of break up and the rest is down to you.

Last edited:
I would start with a Fender style amp, stick a boost style Drive in front (RCB, Microboost, SDD).

Add a Delay (I hear some modulation, so try Deluxe Mind Guy) with the Mix and Feedback fairly low (8-15%) and a Reverb (maybe one of the Studio types).

Everything I've ever heard from Mateus sounds network beautiful and this is stuff I could listen to all day.

Thanks, man. Do you have any similar tones for the sharing? Lol

First question is "can you get that tone with the gear he is using ?" If yes you will have no trouble programming your own patch.
The reason I say this is tone is a journey through your playing. You only have to look on YouTube to see just how much the same piece of gear sounds from good to terrible depending on the player. Gear is only your potential tone and it is up to you to fully realise it. Same with a particular amp model. Start with a Fender amp with a bit of break up and the rest is down to you.

Ummm... not exactly sure what you're trying to say here.

Ummm... not exactly sure what you're trying to say here.
Sounds like the futile and old litany of "the tone is at your fingers" 😆

BTW. I prefer the tone of Jamie Harrison (OP video) over the tone of Mateus Asato himself at his original video. It has more body.
Tone is at the gear. Heart and soul are at the fingers

Last edited:
Sounds like the futile and old litany of "the tone is at your fingers" 😆

BTW. I prefer the tone of Jamie Harrison (OP video) over the tone of Mateus Asato himself at his original video. It has more body.
Tone is at the gear. Heart and soul are at the fingers

I kind of took it as that as well, but like to give people a chance to clarify.

I prefer Jamie's tone as well. It's so lush and smooth and rich.

I don't hear that all all. To me the video of Mateus is much fuller sounding.
I prefer Jamie's tone as well. It's so lush and smooth and rich.
Both are great but I'm the opposite. I think there's more dynamics and breakup in the video from Mateus and overall it's much warmer. But that's my preferences... I like that sound!

Thanks, man. Do you have any similar tones for the sharing? Lol
I'd have to dial something up that uses factory cabs or sharing wouldn't be much help.

Are you using the Cygnus beta? I am, so anything I post won't work unless you're using it, too.

Also, I didn't realize last night that the first video was someone else since it's a headless torso playing ;)

I did find it odd that a Strat was being used and assumed that was contributing to the less full sound :)

I'd have to dial something up that uses factory cabs or sharing wouldn't be much help.

Are you using the Cygnus beta? I am, so anything I post won't work unless you're using it, too.

I've been rocking the Cygnus since the beta was released for the public.

Ok - here is one I spent the last hour just messing around with...

Some notes: disregard anything in the scene labels or any scene other than 1 (Clean). That's the only 1 that I messed with. Everything else is a work in progress and untested with factory cabs I settled on.

This preset is basically the same as what I've been fiddling with since the first Cynus beta.

I spent a bit of time trying to get a ballpark of the effects. I don't typically try to copy so it is just kinda there. I think there's less Reverb in the Mateus video than I thought. I tried some others but ended up coming back to my default Reverb.

Except the Cab block and Delay block, everything in there is untouched from that perspective.

I don't often use factory cabs and I'm a big fan of G12H30 IRs of which there are few in the box and I don't like any of them :(

So, play with channels on the Cab block. Some different flavors in there.

I prefer the OH and YA IRs I have purchased but I found some stuff that works ok. Change it if you don't like them.

Also, all 4 channels of the Amp block will get you different flavors: 59 Bassman, Carr Roamer, Princeton and CAE 3+.

Play with your fingers and put some attitude into it and enjoy.

I like it with the Chorus on but I left it off as I don't really hear that in the posted videos.

I'm not sure I've ever posted a preset in the 8 years I've been here... I create them for my tastes and preferences, so as always YMMV :)

Attachments

• Mateus.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Ok - here is one I spent the last hour just messing around with...

Some notes: disregard anything in the scene labels or any scene other than 1 (Clean). That's the only 1 that I messed with. Everything else is a work in progress and untested with factory cabs I settled on.

This preset is basically the same as what I've been fiddling with since the first Cynus beta.

I spent a bit of time trying to get a ballpark of the effects. I don't typically try to copy so it is just kinda there. I think there's less Reverb in the Mateus video than I thought. I tried some others but ended up coming back to my default Reverb.

Except the Cab block and Delay block, everything in there is untouched from that perspective.

I don't often use factory cabs and I'm a big fan of G12H30 IRs of which there are few in the box and I don't like any of them :(

So, play with channels on the Cab block. Some different flavors in there.

I prefer the OH and YA IRs I have purchased but I found some stuff that works ok. Change it if you don't like them.

Also, all 4 channels of the Amp block will get you different flavors: 59 Bassman, Carr Roamer, Princeton and CAE 3+.

Play with your fingers and put some attitude into it and enjoy.

I like it with the Chorus on but I left it off as I don't really hear that in the posted videos.

I'm not sure I've ever posted a preset in the 8 years I've been here... I create them for my tastes and preferences, so as always YMMV :)

Thank you for your efforts. I really enjoy the 59 Bassman out of the four amps. Great work!

Thank you for your efforts. I really enjoy the 59 Bassman out of the four amps. Great work!
Haha - I've been stuck on the 59 Bassman since the first Cygnus beta!

The Princeton was a little too clean for this IMO, but I felt it was maybe a bit closer to the first video... Plus it was already there and still sounds good. ;)

I've been using these with both my Suhr Modern HSH with Thornbuckers and with my DK-24 HSS (which I was using last night). I am enjoying it!

Once the final release drops I'll start fine-tuning. I've decided it's time for a "reset" - and this is the start of that effort.

Such a beautiful tone! Would love to know how to get here if anyone can get me headed in the right direction. Assume I know nothing please lol

I’d recommend watching Leon Todd’s videos, especially his clean amp preset video and the one on the reverb block. Don’t worry about whether they’re for FM3 or Axe-FX III, as the interface and process are the same as you get started. Watch through these, then repeat them and step through and replicate his steps with your guitar in hand, listening to each change you make.

...and...

Then search YouTube for “Leon Todd clean” and a bunch of videos will pop up. Do the same with “Leon Todd reverb”.

He’s a talented player with an excellent teaching style.

Back
Top Bottom