Anyone have an Eart guitar?

A lightweight headless with hopefully the same neck/fret QC might just be the answer for me.
One thing gw2 is not is a lightweight. Unfortunately, its weight is close to my g&l strat. The only reason I keep playing strandberg and not eart still.

Last edited:
What's your action like, 12th fret, high and low E? And with how much relief? If you know.
Almost straight neck with a very little relief, high E about 1.5 mm, low E about 2. Same as my strandberg, I wasn't able to make it lower on any of them, need to take to the luthier. Well, strandberg neck was set up by a luthier a year ago to be lower, but it was buzzing all around and I had to set action higher.

Also, I can use 8th on eart, and I have to use 9th on strandberg, because it's bridge breaks strings, so overall playing experience is just better with eart :)

Last edited:
I hope this will be helpful!
As you can see, eart wins in every category, hands down.
Is is simply a much better piece of engineering, better thought-through, more comfortable and out simply: better built. Note the frets - there NO comparison! Strandberg fretwork sucks big time.
And take a look at my review in "your guitar" thread on the first page of the forum, it details some of these images, like why strandberg bridge scratches your hand with those little screws.

Attachments

• IMG_20221013_160759.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160759.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20221013_160745.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160745.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20221013_160715.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160715.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20221013_160640.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160640.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20221013_160525.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160525.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20221013_161307.jpg
    IMG_20221013_161307.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20221013_160454.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160454.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20221013_160447.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160447.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
Part 2

Attachments

• IMG_20221013_160148.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160148.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20221013_160136.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160136.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20221013_160231.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160231.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20221013_160237.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160237.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20221013_160304.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160304.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20221013_160314.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160314.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20221013_160415.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160415.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20221013_160345.jpg
    IMG_20221013_160345.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20221013_161600.jpg
    IMG_20221013_161600.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
I hope this will be helpful!
As you can see, eart wins in every category, hands down.
Is is simply a much better piece of engineering, better thought-through, more comfortable and out simply: better built. Note the frets - there NO comparison! Strandberg fretwork sucks big time.
And take a look at my review in "your guitar" thread on the first page of the forum, it details some of these images, like why strandberg bridge scratches your hand with those little screws.
When you say that Strandberg fretwork sucks, you're only reffering to the fret ends?

I have 1mm on all my guitars ATM. But it's hard to know the reason the Strandberg buzzed with the action lowered... frets not being level enough or you just using different string tension to me, different play style, tolerance of buzz..

Because I think it's possible to get an ok action at 1.5mm with minimal buzz between 2 guitars of similar design, but one being able to go way lower, due to frets being more level, depending on play style also, among other factors.

I don't have experience with Strandberg. I'd imagine they level the frets at this price point. The (couple of) Earts I've seen and worked on needed fret levelling done to get the action to what I'm used to. But quite doable.

Another consideration imo can be how frets are seated. Maybe the fret edges could be better done on a guitar, but the frets seat better, or are even glued in, additionally. And there's several reasons why a better seated fret can be preferable. I don't think Eart glues their frets in, and I've now seen quite a few frets popping up.

I say all this simply to offer the view that there may be more than meets the eye with the Strandberg, in a positive way. But it's speculation on my part, and I'm not trying to get you to dislike the Eart :)

When you say that Strandberg fretwork sucks, you're only reffering to the fret ends?
Yes, fret edges. They were scratchy and unpolished right from the factory. They fixed it as a part of warranty, but tried really hard to persuade me that it was my fault :) Can you believe that? It was a new guitar but repair guys tried to tell me it's "too dry", that's why the wood shrank, and it is my fault! So I asked them how it is possible within just a few weeks - do they think I forgot it in the dryer for a week? - there was no answer and they took it for repair.
The fretboard is also not of a high quality wood, you can insert a pin inside some of wood cavities between the frets.

Overall frets are fine I think, no need to level them, from the first glance at least, but I don't have the tools to check.
Except for the "null" fret - it started to show wearing within a month or two. Now it has dents and strings jump in and out of them when bending on first few frets.

may be more than meets the eye with the Strandberg, in a positive way
Well, I don't want to say it is a terrible guitar, throw it away, burn it and piss on it when its done! No. The guitar is fine, but not for its price point.
Its fair price is the same as for EART, $300-500 before pickups, not a penny more. I'd think twice before buying it for $1000, but probably would go anyway if there would be nothing similar in the same price range.

But for $2000? Honestly, I feel like I've been robbed by that company. Unpolished frets, broken pickup, unbelievable intonation and tuning issues, not possible to use my favorite 8th strings (D'Addario, Balls, a couple other brands - all were damaged, so it is not a couple of bad packs of strings), and all of this in a new guitar for 2K?
How is this even possible?

I'm not trying to get you to dislike the Eart
I can't start disliking it because I'm not in love with it anyway! All I am saying is that it is a few times better guitar while being many times cheaper. Not saying it's perfect or my favorite, no sir!

Last edited:
I can't start disliking it because I'm not in love with it anyway! All I am saying is that it is a few times better guitar while being many times cheaper. Not saying it's perfect or my favorite, no sir!
I say that because my comment can come off in a negative way, considering how often cheap guitars are unfairly dismissed as pieces of junk, etc. People at times get a high from that kind of elitism.

One thing gw2 is not is a lightweight. Unfortunately, its weight is close to my g&l strat. The only reason I keep playing strandberg and not eart still.
Can you weigh it please? Online, I've seen it stated that it weighs from 6.6 lbs to 8.9 lbs. If it's not light, I guess I will look elsewhere or maybe see if it can be lightened. I was close to pulling the trigger this week.

What you see is what you get only works to a point as a lot of things in guitar building go unseen. An example would be a Squire vintage series and a custom shop nos. In many ways they do the exact same thing and look almost identical but the difference is vast.

Can you weigh it please?
I'd like to but I don't have the tool :( Sorry

It was incorrect on my side to say it is the same weight as my strat - it is definitely easier. But it also noticeably heavier that .s guitar. I can't properly express the difference, sorry :(
But again, for the price point? I don't think there is a substitute, including Harley Benson models.

You have been very unlucky with the Strandberg. That is by far the worse I have seen but I could easily fix that (if it was brought to me) and I am shocked that they didn't fix that for you. Typical is:IMG_2087.jpg
I am not saying this is great but it is a lot better and the fingerboard is smooth a rounded properly .

Join their Facebook group and post pictures and your experience. Ola will be on it pretty quickly I would guess because that is flat out unacceptable.

Well, the rough edges were flattened to the point where they don't scratch my hand any more. Do you think it makes sense to push it further? I mean they kinda did their part and it is not the issue any more.

Well, the rough edges were flattened to the point where they don't scratch my hand any more. Do you think it makes sense to push it further? I mean they kinda did their part and it is not the issue any more.
That is still terrible . IMG_2008.jpg
This is a Richlite fingerboard with stainless steel frets, show them this picture to compare.

They may vary quite a bit
I know that. I politely asked him to weigh his guitar. But yes, all guitars vary quite a bit.

On another forum, someone told me his weighed 6.5 pounds, so it would be nice to get another measurement to see how much the weight actually differed.

I weigh mine roughly w/o special scale by weighting myself with and w/o guitar in hand and taking the diff

This ^^^. You don't need anything special. As long as you have a reasonably accurate bathroom scale, you just stand on it with guitar-in-hand, and then stand on it without the guitar, and subtract the second number from the first.

Now, I have reason to believe my own bathroom scale is not accurate, because it keeps telling me I've gained 50 pounds over the 30 years since I was in college, and, y'know, that just can't be right. :rolleyes:

But I'm sure you guys all have more-reliable scales, so you should be fine. ⚖️

Back
Top Bottom