Anyone have an Eart guitar?

No they are unlevelled badly installed cheap stainless . You may be lucky and find one that is close to level but the ends aren't even in line with the fingerboard on any of them . These guitars are just budget guitars with exactly the level of parts and work that you would expect on" instuments" (guitar shaped commodities ) at this price. If this is your budget and you can try a few it may work out but these are nothing special and only getting attention because of the Charlatans doing paid commercials on YouTube.
Have you seen how the Eart frets wear through time, considering similar playing style, fretting pressure, bending technique, whatever is relevant? I would imagine that the cost is lower than Jescar. But I do not know how much softer they are. The blacksmith stainless frets harley benton seem comparable to jescar considered stated hardness ratings -- but I do not know enough about such ratings, how reliable they are, which source to trust.

In terms of youtubers giving glowing reviews, I think a lot of people do not have experience like techs and luthiers do. They tend to be guitar players. And I do think some post glowing reviews because, well, there are business interests at play.

But there are also many who are quite honest in that regard. Someone like Phillip McKnight, for example, even there being a business interest, I think is largely telling us what he really thinks about the Eart guitars he's had in his hands.

But it is hard to know, often enough, what examples of these guitars some youtubers receive. Of course if one guitar gets some extra attention than another, and a reviewer receives that, they are more likely to be impressed.

Just some info I found on fret wire!

Guitar Fret Wire
Fine post, but I just wonder how epistemically objective hardness measurements of frets are. And then hardness seems to vary quite a bit between different makes of stainless frets, for example. The Parker inventor, by his own text, if this is really him, sees to think EVO lasts longer than Jescar stainless; and quite a few people say that Parker stainless is a level above what we have today.

Then when it comes to Eart, I have not been able to find information about the hardness of their frets. And even if I did.. whether that is reliable or not, is an open question for me, not knowing too much about... hardness, how measurements are made, what transparency there is, how I'd spot that even.

Fine post, but I just wonder how epistemically objective hardness measurements of frets are. And then hardness seems to vary quite a bit between different makes of stainless frets, for example. The Parker inventor, by his own text, if this is really him, sees to think EVO lasts longer than Jescar stainless; and quite a few people say that Parker stainless is a level above what we have today.

Then when it comes to Eart, I have not been able to find information about the hardness of their frets. And even if I did.. whether that is reliable or not, is an open question for me, not knowing too much about... hardness, how measurements are made, what transparency there is, how I'd spot that even.
I would bet they are using a generic version of a stainless material unless they are sourcing it from Dunlop (unlikely) seeing how these guitars are made overseas. The real question what grade are they using as there are many different grades of stainless steel?

I would bet they are using a generic version of a stainless material unless they are sourcing it from Dunlop (unlikely) seeing how these guitars are made overseas. The real question what grade are they using as there are many different grades of stainless steel?
Yeah, that's what I mean. Pretty hard to find out. I may ask them, but they also say they fret level all their guitars, and that's obviously not convincing to some. Eart may not even truly know how hard their frets are to a great degree of specificity.

But at least levelling them, I saw no perceptible difference between these and Jescar in terms of hardness. Pretty hard to judge hardness that way, for sure! Maybe impossible when differences aren't too large.

I'll be interested to see how Eart guitars fair for people who use them for a year or so.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Pretty hard to find out. I may ask them, but they also say they fret level all their guitars, and that's obviously not convincing to some. Eart may not even truly know how hard their frets are to a great degree of specificity.
It would probably be a fair guess that they are using a comparable to a standard SS wire with a hardness of HV5/250 if not it's going to be like the EVO wire so somewhere in between. Anything less and they might as well use Nickel wire.

Another Cory Mura headless fart video. Seems to be as good as his first headless, or thereabouts (doesn't yet offer an opinion on the trem unit).

Another Eart headless review. The person likes the guitar, I think. But they do talk about many frets not being level (whether that's true, it's not illustrated; I take it the person understands what frets not being level means). The person also talks about frets not seating perfectly on the edges of the fretboard. Even "bouncing" when they tried to press them in more. And they mention seeing fret wear after 6 months.

I can't speak about fret wear from personal experience, but the 2 Earts I worked on were kinda similar. Definitely there were frets popping up in some places that needed attention. Much like Harley Benton fusions I've seen. Seems to be more extreme here than what I saw though -- but hard to say from afar, without having the guitar here.

Last edited:
Mura says the trem stays in tune "perfectly". Measures his action at 1mm on 12th for high E. Hammered down one fret.

Last edited:
Mura says the trem stays in tune "perfectly". Measures his action at 1mm on 12th for high E. Hammered down one fret.

More Charlatan vision. Just buy one and see. Spin the wheel, pick the numbers, like ANY budget guitar wild variation in all the variables but somebody wins the lottery and that's your chance of these being as good as the reviews tell you. Buy one and post a review ,send it back if it's crap.

Last edited:
More Charlatan vision. Just buy one and see. Spin the wheel, pick the numbers, like ANY budget guitar wild variation in all the variables but somebody wins the lottery and that's your chance of these being as good as the reviews tell you. Buy one and post a review ,send it back if it's crap.
I fret leveled two.

Still interested to see what others think and what their experiences are.

I have a gw2 model. Bought it just for lulz, ended up liking it.

Yes, it is not perfect, these guitars are definitely a gamble, but I paid $300 and it is a much better investment than my strandberg for $2100. It has zero resale value, true, but for this kind of money I don't care. I know it will be really hard to sell the strandberg too!

Definitely needs a better pickups though. Bridge and frets are ok, no issues at all, overall build quality pretty solid and much better fret edges - basically, perfectly done. I had to get my strandberg to luthier to fix fret edges. For ducks sake, I had to pay to fix the guitar in the custom shop price point... Also, on a strandberg you better put a tape on the neck lockers or sharp string edge might damage your hand!

I have two friends bought same after my feedback, one is happy, second one is spoiled by Andersons and Suhrs, so he was just "good enough for the money, but not my favorite, will sell it". Not my favorite either (I don't have a favorite headless just yet), but as a jump start to headless world this one will do!

Ask away if you have any questions!
IMG_20221013_150019.jpg

I have a gw2 model. Bought it just for lulz, ended up liking it.

Yes, it is not perfect, these guitars are definitely a gamble, but I paid $300 and it is a much better investment than my strandberg for $2100. It has zero resale value, true, but for this kind of money I don't care. I know it will be really hard to sell the strandberg too!

Definitely needs a better pickups though. Bridge and frets are ok, no issues at all, overall build quality pretty solid and much better fret edges - basically, perfectly done. I had to get my strandberg to luthier to fix fret edges. For ducks sake, I had to pay to fix the guitar in the custom shop price point... Also, on a strandberg you better put a tape on the neck lockers or sharp string edge might damage your hand!

I have two friends bought same after my feedback, one is happy, second one is spoiled by Andersons and Suhrs, so he was just "good enough for the money, but not my favorite, will sell it". Not my favorite either (I don't have a favorite headless just yet), but as a jump start to headless world this one will do!

Ask away if you have any questions!
View attachment 109706
What's your action like, 12th fret, high and low E? And with how much relief? If you know.

Back
Top Bottom