Anyone else wondering if FM3 might replace their FX8?

It won't be replacing mine, not enough effects run at once and too few buttons. I'm hoping the next effects-only unit has enough buttons (an odd thing to say, it seems).

It won't be replacing mine, not enough effects run at once and too few buttons. I'm hoping the next effects-only unit has enough buttons (an odd thing to say, it seems).
The FX8 only run 8 effects at a time correct?

The FM3 should run much more.
The question is if the FM3 will have the same quality AD/DA converters as the FX8/Axe FXII/III.
Then it should work just as if not better (depending on if you need more buttons or more effects).

Last edited:
Not rushing into anything, but it’s got me thinking.

I already waitlisted for one with the intention of replacing my FX8 with it.

I had gone back and forth between getting a III with FC-12 or an FX8 for a long time. Pulled the trigger on the FX8, still trying to figure it out and not as much of a fan of the routing/grid as I was with the III. However, the III was way overkill and much more expensive so I sold it and kept the FX8.

The FM3 + FC-6 is the perfect solution for me. It has the routing and grid layout to make patches/effect layouts easily and a much better on board editor. Plus, I use a VH4 which uses MIDI amp changes so I don't need a relay like many FX8 users do. And, I can use modeling with headphones if I want which is a cool feature to have.

I can't see Fractal releasing a replacement for the FX8 but it's possible. Especially with the lack of support that's been given to the FX8. Can anyone else see it?

I already waitlisted for one with the intention of replacing my FX8 with it.

I had gone back and forth between getting a III with FC-12 or an FX8 for a long time. Pulled the trigger on the FX8, still trying to figure it out and not as much of a fan of the routing/grid as I was with the III. However, the III was way overkill and much more expensive so I sold it and kept the FX8.

The FM3 + FC-6 is the perfect solution for me. It has the routing and grid layout to make patches/effect layouts easily and a much better on board editor. Plus, I use a VH4 which uses MIDI amp changes so I don't need a relay like many FX8 users do. And, I can use modeling with headphones if I want which is a cool feature to have.

I can't see Fractal releasing a replacement for the FX8 but it's possible. Especially with the lack of support that's been given to the FX8. Can anyone else see it?
Let us know your impressions.

The FX8 only run 8 effects at a time correct?

The FM3 should run much more.
The question is if the FM3 will have the same quality AD/DA converters as the FX8/Axe FXII/III.
Then it should work just as if not better (depending on if you need more buttons or more effects).

The AD/DA converters should be listed on the spec sheet. As for 8 effects, I also have 8 buttons. I don't have the $$ to add an FC6 to the FM3 to get back to 8 buttons plus bank switching. I just want everything in one reliable box.

I'm pretty sure a lot of posts have been talking about how the FM3 can only run a few effects at once. Someone will no doubt correct me with a quote from the site haha.

The AD/DA converters should be listed on the spec sheet. As for 8 effects, I also have 8 buttons. I don't have the $$ to add an FC6 to the FM3 to get back to 8 buttons plus bank switching. I just want everything in one reliable box.

I'm pretty sure a lot of posts have been talking about how the FM3 can only run a few effects at once. Someone will no doubt correct me with a quote from the site haha.
I think it all depends on how you use your stuff. Yeah, stomp mode with three buttons seems problematic. I do use scenes. Still three buttons probably means a lot of double tapping to increment presets, select scenes, go into muted tuner mode, etc. But maybe there's a whole new way to interact with it? I'm not rushing into anything. But I'm open to the idea that I might need to learn some new skills to get the most out of a new piece of gear.

I don't like the idea that adding an FC6 means running power to another device at the front of the stage. Right now the FX8 being completely self-contained (with an actual AC cord, not a wall wart) is a huge plus for me.

I think it all depends on how you use your stuff. Yeah, stomp mode with three buttons seems problematic. I do use scenes. Still three buttons probably means a lot of double tapping to increment presets, select scenes, go into muted tuner mode, etc. But maybe there's a whole new way to interact with it? I'm not rushing into anything. But I'm open to the idea that I might need to learn some new skills to get the most out of a new piece of gear.

I don't like the idea that adding an FC6 means running power to another device at the front of the stage. Right now the FX8 being completely self-contained (with an actual AC cord, not a wall wart) is a huge plus for me.

The FM3 will power one FC-6 or FC-12 via FAS Link. No separate power needed.

The FC6 takes his power from the faslink connection, no need to run another AC cord.

I am thinking they will release an effects only replacement for the FX8 in the near future. Hopefully it will be priced below the FM3 and will have more buttons. That said, the FM3 is interesting and I will be considering it.

The FM3 has the same power as the Ax8.
Assuming you are running as a 4CM in an amp, you won't need the Amp and Cab blocks, which means free processing power.
At that point, you should be able to run more effects than the 8 simultaneous the FX8 can.

In regards to the buttons, I do agree that 3 is on the short side, but, it is what it is.
In the other hand, some people may appreciate the fact that it is small and modular, so if you just want to bring it for practice it will be super convenient. If you need more buttons, hook up the FC6 or 12 for that matter and you should be good.
(granted, it would be more expensive)

On a side note, a couple of people have asked in other threads whether the FM3 will be a replacement to the FX8, or if the AD/DA converters are similar to the FX8, but no response from Fractal.

I am thinking they will release an effects only replacement for the FX8 in the near future. Hopefully it will be priced below the FM3 and will have more buttons. That said, the FM3 is interesting and I will be considering it.
I suspect that won't be the case. Maintaining and supporting two products is more than twice the work, with a questionable return on the additional investment. If effects only folks like me just need to turn off the amp blocks, I just don't see why a separate product is necessary. The upside is that Fractal would be much more likely to provide regular updates for the FM3 if it's their only product in that category.

I suspect that won't be the case. Maintaining and supporting two products is more than twice the work, with a questionable return on the additional investment. If effects only folks like me just need to turn off the amp blocks, I just don't see why a separate product is necessary. The upside is that Fractal would be much more likely to provide regular updates for the FM3 if it's their only product in that category.

My thoughts exactly.

That could be possible and I do see the business advantage of having fewer products to manage. Given that the AX8 and the FX8 shared the same chassis (likely to help with manufacturing costs), it would follow that their update to the FX8 would have the same form factor as the update to the AX8 (in this case, the FM3). In my mind, the FM3 form factor doesn't make a ton of sense for an effects only product because of the lack of foot switches. Either they are eliminating the effects only product line or they will make the FX8 predecessor with a totally new design. I think that the latter is the less likely scenario. An FM3 and FC6 may be in my future. All that said, the FX8 continues to be a great product regardless.

Back
Top Bottom