Anyone else wondering if FM3 might replace their FX8?

I hope not. Apart from the screen, I love the FX8.

I' run in 4CM, so amp modelling doesn't really bother me, but the lack of Relays is a huge turn off in the 3. I've got a few drive pedals that I would run after the "Pre Stage" of the FX8, but before the Input of my Amp. (I use the relay outs to trigger a loop switcher). Then from the Amp fx loop back into the FX return of the FX8. It seems the FM3 isn't really setup for any of this workflow.

The FM3 seems to be about 1/4 of the power of the Axe3, I'm hoping there is a FM6 that is half the power of the Axe3/Double the power of the FM3. Complete with true 4CM, true relays, high quality setting on reverb too.

I did some additional reading on the FM3 and realized that it is housed in the same enclosure as the FC6. This leads me to believe that it is possible that they could release a 9 button unit based around the enclosure of the FC12 (since the screen / interface takes up 3 bottons of space). Could that be their plan for the next generation effects only unit?

Either way, I put my name on the wait list for the FM3. I don't have a unit that does amp modeling at the moment and that small form factor makes it a very attractive grab and go rig. I'm excited!

I have my name on the wait list for one but it is not to replace my FX8. That will still be used with the 4CM and my Mesa MKV/25. The FM3 is to give me the option to go direct and also for playing at home without needing a full rig.

They both have a place in my set up.

Just putting this here so you guys can see how smart these buttons are...

Nice job! supper roadmap for us AX8 users 3 button path that don't have new toys, but FM3 will defiantly not replace my AX8 (at least I don't think so now) however I'm am on the waiting list, we'll see if its collecting dust after Mr. FM3 arrives.. Cheers...

The FM3 won't replace my FX8s. I have two amps, one can be controlled via midi, but for the other I need relay switching (and I don't want to use a midi switcher because I got no space left on my board). The FX8 was designed for 4CM, I guess the FM3 wasn't and I don't need amp models. I'm super relaxed, because the FX8 gives me all I need, but when FAS really releases an adequate successor I will have a look at it. Customizable scribble strips and expanded routing options for effects (a grid like the AxeFx) would be a nice feature.

The FM3 won't replace my FX8s. I have two amps, one can be controlled via midi, but for the other I need relay switching (and I don't want to use a midi switcher because I got no space left on my board). The FX8 was designed for 4CM, I guess the FM3 wasn't and I don't need amp models. I'm super relaxed, because the FX8 gives me all I need, but when FAS really releases an adequate successor I will have a look at it. Customizable scribble strips and expanded routing options for effects (a grid like the AxeFx) would be a nice feature.

For my amp that can do MIDI, I'll probably switch to the FM3. I like scribble strips and the routing options. If/when they release a FX8 successor, I'll use the FM3 at home to practice with.

There isn't a significant difference between FX8 and effects in current fractal devices, apart from DRIVE pedal upgrades and Trichorus.
Anyway - I wonder if FX8 has processing space to upgrade these things? Why isn't there a new firmware?

There isn't a significant difference between FX8 and effects in current fractal devices, apart from DRIVE pedal upgrades and Trichorus.
Anyway - I wonder if FX8 has processing space to upgrade these things? Why isn't there a new firmware?
I suspect that they're run out of room in the firmware. They probably took it to the limit with 5.04. The FractalBot backup bug would seem like a trivial thing to fix. It's serial data transfer, not rocket science. I suspect they don't have any room in the firmware to fix it.

@trixdropd thanks for the demo. That is really cool but too much thinking involved for me! I like the FX8/AX8 layout, and since I'm using both, I don't want to change. Also using both MIDI and relays, so original FX8 stays on my amp rig board...may even buy the mkii and keep the original for a backup. The new form factor addresses some issues in competing with Line 6, but I'm not unhappy with the old Fractal display and lack of scribble strips. I set up my scenes and presets with similar things in the same places--again, I don't want to do a lot of thinking...

Back
Top Bottom