Anyone else use the same IR with all amps?

No. I tend to use a small go-to set based on my preferences and favorite speakers. But, one IR in FRFR mode is super limiting and takes a away a lot of the power of the tool. If you are going for certain traditional tones certain speakers, cabs, mics, are gold standards for those sounds so it is very nice to be able to use them as appropriate at will.

I use many different cabs, just like I use many different amps...they're there so I'm going to enjoy them ;) I really don't see how using a different cab would be any "harder" on a soundman than having presets with different amps or eq settings?

I used to try to replicate song tones live, but found that it was too difficult to volume level and it also made for unhappy sound guys. I pretty much use one for gain and one for clean now and it helps the continuity of the sets. Plus, by using a global cab, when I want to change up, all my presets are changed the same. Huge time saver over having to update 30 presets after a firmware update etc. For recording, I use whatever cab creates the tone I'm looking for.

Single cab IR for live and pretty much across the board. If I can't get a particular amp model to work with it, I try another amp. I keep it as simple as possible (especially live) cuz I try to squeeze all my versatility out of my guitar, technique, pickups and use of the volume knob. Switching to patches with different IR's tends to shift my mindset out of a groove and make me play different since it will respond and feel different (in a different way than switching amps) - consequently, that makes me have to think and I don't want to have to think when I play. At the end of the day, it boils down to what works for you - I have tried different IR's during a gig and it doesn't fit my approach.

Last edited:
Any love for the old 4x12 20W...

I use a couple different IRs, but when it's not working out and
I get frustrated, I always go back to the 4x12 20W.
Especially for Marshall-y amps.

That one goes all the way back to the Axe-FX Standard...

I see other people using many of the stock cabs that just sound
boomy or woofy to me.

Anybody else have some love for the old 20W?

I used to try to replicate song tones live, but found that it was too difficult to volume level and it also made for unhappy sound guys. I pretty much use one for gain and one for clean now and it helps the continuity of the sets. Plus, by using a global cab, when I want to change up, all my presets are changed the same. Huge time saver over having to update 30 presets after a firmware update etc. For recording, I use whatever cab creates the tone I'm looking for.

Actually, that's what people (including myself) have been doing since the dawn of amplified music. Some guys may have more than one amp on stage, but more often than not they're multiples of the same amp, or only a couple/few different ones.

The audience rarely knows any better. Get the lyrics right and the general progression of the song, stay in time, and you're golden. It's the musicians themselves who are so picky. That's important in the studio, but live? Not so much.

Ok, since someone reminded me of this thread by liking my OP, I'm going to Necro-bump my own thread from 9+ years ago.

I'm still doing this!

The IR has changed a few times over the years, but it still works for me.

I've been using a custom blend of IRs from the York Audio MTCH pack for a few years now, although I'm recently exploring Dyna-Cabs.

I grabbed the cab IR's from Phil Collen's gift of tone and haven't found anything I like better for a consistent sound. Not sure what exactly they are but they're labeled Phil L and Phil R, they sound great! I put that s@#t on everything.

I'm using two IRs, one for clean, one for dirty.
almost the same :p - i'm using Ola Englund's "the one" IR for both clean and dirty - basically a V30 variant, that has a "dark mid push" which is perfect for the high gain "angle severe" and "CAE3" blocks that i favor. I use a Dimarizo DP152 (Super Fat) in the bridge, and this combo has that chunk-a-Huff that i dig :p

still playing with the DynaCabs on the AFIII and once i decide on those, i'll likely recreate/port over to the FM3 Mk II :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I've been using the Same IR for All amps since the Ultra Days for me. I have others I use when I share presets I don't own the IR It's a Redwires one. I have a few others for Recording but live it's been the same IR for years. I am liking a lot of things about the Dana Cabs and have used one and mic a bit now but still with the same old same old live. I just won't change in the middle of the summer touring season. November it is then! :)

I know, I'm different. I never use IRs. I run my Axe-FX through a power amp and feed a stereo guitar cab with a pair of Celestion Greenbacks in it, or sometimes I use other cabinets but I always use guitar cabinets. I don't own an FRFR cabinet, but I don't say I never will.

I use 2 of the York Matchless IRs in stereo for all of my patches ..one from each side of the ES212 cab loaded with both a G12M and a G12H with both mic'd using a 121
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...n-wav-format-based-on-matchless.155795/page-3

When I use a piezo in the chain I use a 3Sigma Gibson D35 IR

I like keeping the same IRs through the set or session. It keeps everything consistent and makes FOH guys much happier (and less likely to use a lot of EQ or otherwise jack up my tone)

Back
Top Bottom