Anyone else think this is really ugly?

it kinda reminds me of the previous finishes on the PRS Mark Holcomb bursts that , to me, looked like someone wine drunk puked on the edges. I wasn't keen on that particular finish. I actually have a holcomb model but the newer one and finish is much nicer imo

I like curly over quilted maple. That’s purty!
To me, as one that works with figured woods Curly and Quilt are the same thing. Quilt and Flame or fiddleback as some would say are different! I will agree with you that the OP's example has a killer top!

The colors are different I personally wouldn't have picked them for my guitar but that's me, I like Blues and Golds the most!

Beauty is subjective and in the eye of the beholder. For me, not a fan, make it a straight charcoal burst…I probably would be.

Beauty is subjective and in the eye of the beholder. For me, not a fan, make it a straight charcoal burst…I probably would be.
Straight up cherry or straight up charcoal I'd like more than the OP. That one just doesn't work for me, can't really explain why, but it really is what I think. All the similar ones other folks here showed are much nicer.

But luckily, I'm not in the market for a PRS anyway, so I can just drive-by snipe and leave it at that.

I wouldn`t say its ugly , but I don`t like the comination of the colours. If its a really !! good player , I wouldn`t care in the end.

The burst color does not match to my eye but ... subjective.

Even when the color match does suit my eye, I've come to realize I don't like bursts - I regret this one which I had custom ordered - wish I had not ticked to burst box - would have been much better without imo.

View attachment 130183
I’ve had many Carvins, and still have a favored DC200 from 2002. Great guitars!

I'm with the original poster.

I'm not saying I wouldn't accept it for free or at a very low cost. I would; because I could then resell it for a profit. But I wouldn't keep it. Yes, the underlying maple is beautiful; but the finish hurts my eyes.

Just a matter of tastes.

Not the greatest color combination to me, but I've definitely seen much worse. Plus, I'd imagine the guys are always purposely thinking of colors that wouldn't appeal to most people, but there would still be enough potential buyers who would jump on it in a heartbeat, because it's different, and a bit unique.

Beauty is not subjective; however there is room for personal preference. Socrates, Plato, and other great thinkers took issue with that notion. There are actually standards of beauty. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" sounds great but it's just an adage and has no philosophical defense.

Sorry, but that's a pet peeve of mine as it actually insinuates there is no truth. In that case everything falls apart.

So, yes, we do have standards of beauty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom