Anyone else think this is really ugly?

Gotta be someone out there that would pick the picture on the right. Beauty is subjective. That doesn’t question the meaning of truth. Truth is based on facts. Beauty is based on preference. If the majority of people think something is ugly that wouldn’t make a person disagreeing wrong. This thread pretty much proves the point.

Gotta be someone out there that would pick the picture on the right. Beauty is subjective. That doesn’t question the meaning of truth. Truth is based on facts. Beauty is based on preference. If the majority of people think something is ugly that wouldn’t make a person disagreeing wrong. This thread pretty much proves the point.
I'll be awaiting your critique of Plato. Not trying to pick a fight on an internet board but that thought (that Beauty is subjective) is something which has emerged along with the belief that Truth is relative. The ancient Greeks believed that Beauty is a Virtue to be pursued and Virtue is absolutely tied to Truth.

Again there is room for personal preference. Using women as an example...I prefer brunettes, you may prefer blondes, etc., etc. However what defines a beautiful woman resides within certain boundaries and we all understand that. That's why people scoffed and created memes when Lizzo recently stated she was the new definition of beauty.

Beauty is not subjective; however there is room for personal preference. Socrates, Plato, and other great thinkers took issue with that notion. There are actually standards of beauty. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" sounds great but it's just an adage and has no philosophical defense.

Sorry, but that's a pet peeve of mine as it actually insinuates there is no truth. In that case everything falls apart.

So, yes, we do have standards of beauty.
Yes there are standards up to a certain point, but sometimes very hard to define....and sometimes they change. For example In the 18th century, the definition of a beautiful woman was different, take look at the paintings , quite different. Its really a very complex thing. If you talk about a beautiful colour , there are much !! less standards. Perhaps there is a universal standard for beauty, but we don`t know it But everyone can enjoy his personal standard of beauty and thats nice. Facts...the older i get, the less I´m certain, what a fact is. In another universe,perhaps 2+2 are not 4, but 5,332. Weird ?. No.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be awaiting your critique of Plato. Not trying to pick a fight on an internet board but that thought (that Beauty is subjective) is something which has emerged along with the belief that Truth is relative. The ancient Greeks believed that Beauty is a Virtue to be pursued and Virtue is absolutely tied to Truth.

Again there is room for personal preference. Using women as an example...I prefer brunettes, you may prefer blondes, etc., etc. However what defines a beautiful woman resides within certain boundaries and we all understand that. That's why people scoffed and created memes when Lizzo recently stated she was the new definition of beauty.

No need to debate Plato on this. I think it’s obvious that beauty is subjective. I’m sure plenty of her fans think Lizzo is beautiful. I personally disagree with that, but her fans for whatever reason like what she’s doing and how she looks. How about the old phrase ‘beauty is in the eye of the beer holder’. I personally have observed this to be true (for myself) on many occasions. To define what is beautiful, who gets to decide what that is? The majority would be the answer, but that still doesn’t make the outliers wrong. Truth on the other hand is not subjective. People might say it is, but facts don’t lie. Entities like politicians and the media and the elites are constantly bending the truth. It gets tough to wade through the crap, but underneath it all are the facts. Those cannot be changed. This is one of those things where the best thing is to agree to disagree, and get back to guitar playing.

This is one of those things where the best thing is to agree to disagree, and get back to guitar playing.
I agree with you there. Wasn't wanting to start anything contentious. This is just a hot topic as I am educating my children in just what I have been saying. Still, if Beauty is subjective, then it can't be defined and therefore doesn't exist.

Yes there are standards up to a certain point, but sometimes very hard to define....and sometimes they change. For example In the 18th century, the definition of a beautiful woman was different, take look at the paintings , quite different.
Yes, some peripheral things change such as style/fashion. There have been differences in desirable traits but yet the concept of Beauty in women has remained within a fairly well defined range. Looking back at old paintings it is clear that the women in them were still attractive and wouldn't be considered ugly even today.

You guys take care and enjoy your weekend!

I agree with you there. Wasn't wanting to start anything contentious. This is just a hot topic as I am educating my children in just what I have been saying. Still, if Beauty is subjective, then it can't be defined and therefore doesn't exist.

Yes, some peripheral things change such as style/fashion. There have been differences in desirable traits but yet the concept of Beauty in women has remained within a fairly well defined range. Looking back at old paintings it is clear that the women in them were still attractive and wouldn't be considered ugly even today.

You guys take care and enjoy your weekend!

Symmetrical faces … a clear indicator of “beauty” as measured contemporarily.

Symmetrical faces … a clear indicator of “beauty” as measured contemporarily.
Yes, you are absolutely right !! Sometimes I like theses kind of discussions ... mostly in the end nobody has the truth, its a bit like a puzzle.

Well here's one for you. I keep my eye out for a PRS 513 and this popped up on Reverb. In PRS's defense it was commissioned by a dealer, Bizarre Guitar of Reno, NV (check out the truss rod cover). The color is described as "Satin Bonnie Pink". I wouldn't exactly call it ugly, but it's questionable, possibly criminal (and yet it's sort of cool). ;)
1700971414864.png 1700971442818.png

Well here's one for you. I keep my eye out for a PRS 513 and this popped up on Reverb. In PRS's defense it was commissioned by a dealer, Bizarre Guitar of Reno, NV (check out the truss rod cover). The color is described as "Satin Bonnie Pink". I wouldn't exactly call it ugly, but it's questionable, possibly criminal (and yet it's sort of cool). ;)
View attachment 130358 View attachment 130359
Bizarre guitar Reno. They went online only during the pandemic, but I heard the show room is open again. Yeah that one is an eyeful.

View attachment 130358 View attachment 130359
Huh...this one is bizarre beautiful ugly scary stunning all at once for me...o_O

So many people, so confused. How can so many be so wrong?

they are wrong seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Back
Top Bottom