Anyone else have the default input gain on their FM9 be way too high?

Yep, I never had a problem before with clipping until I upgraded to 5.1 firmware. That's when I noticed the clipping light coming on. I did not mind the red hitting sometime. I turned it down to 10. Sounds the same but the clip light stays off now.

The clip warning was added in that firmware ;)
But it's not us here. It's fractal. Any other unit you can plug a guitar into and not immediately see a clipping light that we now have to find a global parameter and turn down to 8% or something.

This is a WEIRD quirk of the Fractal space, and should be fixed in a firmware update, Fractal is literally the only unit I can think of that makes us do this. For now I'm disregarding it, keeping the input value at stock, and still find it fine for making music.

But it's not us here. It's fractal. Any other unit you can plug a guitar into and not immediately see a clipping light that we now have to find a global parameter and turn down to 8% or something.

This is a WEIRD quirk of the Fractal space, and should be fixed in a firmware update, Fractal is literally the only unit I can think of that makes us do this. For now I'm disregarding it, keeping the input value at stock, and still find it fine for making music.

I'm not sure what your're trying to say. This is how all digital gear works. You need to adjust input and output levels to avoid clipping. In addition, the Axe-FX provides input scaling to optimize s/n. I would humbly disagree that something needs to be "fixed".

I think the issue here is that people have a psychological discomfort with setting a parameter to 8%.

Ignoring input clipping is far more detrimental to your tone than properly adjusting a parameter down to a lower level. If your guitars require a lower setting, that just means you have higher output pickups or you play with more pick dynamics.

Devices that don't complain about clipping are usually using a low input sensitivity by default, which means they may not be utilizing the best signal to noise ratio at their input converters for all guitars. Having a manual adjustment is a good thing. It gives you the best tone with the lowest noise for your specific guitars and playing style.

This post is not really relevant to my comment.

I was pointing out to the person I replied to why he was suddenly seeing different behavior.

See the response from @GlennO regarding your comments.

You do understand that is a unitless number? Your fear of single digits is a bit irrational. But you can draw a "50" on the display with a marker if it makes you feel better :).

I think the question people have is if it is necessary to set this to 8% then under what circumstances would you need to set it to say 75%? It seems a bit odd. I have mine set very low and I only use single coils and PAF type humbuckers so wonder what I would do if I had super hot pickups; it just seems a bit strange.

I think the question people have is if it is necessary to set this to 8% then under what circumstances would you need to set it to say 75%? It seems a bit odd. I have mine set very low and I only use single coils and PAF type humbuckers so wonder what I would do if I had super hot pickups; it just seems a bit strange.
Mine works fine for me at 85%...

Depends on the guitar. On my Warmoth strat with a JB in the bridge and 9s I run around 65%. If I plug in my Tom Anderson with 10s I have to lower it to 20%.

That's why it's adjustable. The alternative is to have it fixed at some very low value and then people with low output guitars would have worse SNR than is ultimately possible.

FWIW, I found my AX3 and AX3T Global Input gain set from the factory at 0.301 and my FM9T set to 1.0.
I adjusted the FM9T to match the others at 0.301.
With my loudest humbucker guitar, I have all my units set at 13.5% for Input 1 / Instrument.

Back
Top Bottom