Anyone else dig the bona fide Marshall amp models more than.....

Cool. :)

I'll just say that using the Lo Inputs on Marshalls are some of the best clean tones you can get
from any amp. Ever.

Lots of cats overlooked them, though.... because.... gain. :)
Yep, Marshall tones, including clean, are legendary. Look at all of the variants and clones in the Fractal amp model list. The knock on Marshalls has long been reliability so it's not surprising that people are using the actual Marshall models purely based upon tone. I believe the reliability issues caused a lot of players to think they didn't sound good unless they were modded.

My go-to models are the JM45, 50W Jumped, 100W Jumped, Brit Silver, and maybe the JMPre or Brit Pre for certain applications.

Cool. :)

I'll just say that using the Lo Inputs on Marshalls are some of the best clean tones you can get
from any amp. Ever.

Lots of cats overlooked them, though.... because.... gain. :)
I use a plexi model for my clean tones and it's perfect live. Just a touch of grit but every bit as pretty as any Fender model to my ears.

I love the 800 Mod for cleans! To me the Marshalls are just different flavors of awesome. Actual Marshall or any brand / variety of mod, you can't go wrong if it's letting you say what you want to say. :)

Cameron CCV 2A and 2C are still the best marshall-like amps for me. (clean/crunch/heavy with just the volume knob).

From time to time, I play some of factory plexis, but CCV does it all for me just perfectly.

I decided to try some 'new' (to me) amp models today.
The Cameron 2b/c - holy perfect!
These are the Marshall sound I've been looking for!!!
I remember @2112 mentioning them at one point as well, and I always had it on my to-do list, to check them out.
Damn these are awesome!!

CCV´S are THE BEST :p :smile:
Jvm410hjs here.. I liked it so much that i bought one... Best for sound ( it cover almost all marshall sound) and expecially for feeling under the fingers.. Dont know why but all the Marshall s are fast legato play friends.. The others i ve found act this way are the conford 50, the Herbert, 5150, evh and the slo.. Like friedman sound expecially for chords and picking solos... Struggling with that and derivates ( like the atomica) on fast legato a la Satriani..

Last edited:
.... the Marshall clones and "improved" Marshall amp models?

Finding that I lust after the bona fide Plexis and JCM Marshall models.
They seem to sound and feel more ragged, rawer, and just not as polished
and smooth as some of the amp models based on those really popular new
production amps that I am not going to name.

Me likey!! From the JTM model to the Brit Mod I prefer those over the improved
versions made in the past decade or so.

Am I alone?? :)
No. +1 here.

quite often the “improvements” on the Marshall circuits are things that don’t really benefit modellers so much.

Quite often the modded Marshalls are trying to achieve a cranked sound at lower (or any) volumes.

They’ll often add multiple channels, FX loops, voicings to approximate different circuits, boosts, lower noise. On a real amp, all those modifications come at a cost - they sound great in their own right but it’s never quite the same as a simple no compromise circuit.

One of my favourite things with Fractal gear is not only do you get emulations of both stock and modded/boutique amps, but you can use the stock amps and design your own modded versions with the tools they provide.

I don’t have much to add here in terms of the original topic of the conversation.

I am just loving the fact how y’all refer to the amp models like you’re talking about the real amp. I was actually confused from the first few posts as to what the discussion is even about. There was a post about a guy talking about how he likes one amp from his collection of amps and I was like - does this guy have 20k worth of amps lying around? That’s when I figured that we’re just talking about the amp models.

Keep up the conversation. I’m waiting for my FM3 to be delivered tomorrow and even though I may not be a contributor here, I love reading all the posts.

Back
Top Bottom