Anyone else dig the bona fide Marshall amp models more than.....

la szum

Axe-Master
.... the Marshall clones and "improved" Marshall amp models?

Finding that I lust after the bona fide Plexis and JCM Marshall models.
They seem to sound and feel more ragged, rawer, and just not as polished
and smooth as some of the amp models based on those really popular new
production amps that I am not going to name.

Me likey!! From the JTM model to the Brit Mod I prefer those over the improved
versions made in the past decade or so.

Am I alone?? :)

I'm more of a modern high gain player, so I don't have an opinion on plexis, but I had a similar experience. After spending lots of time diving deep on several high gain amps with Marshall DNA - Bogner, Friedman, Fryette, Cameron Atomica and CCV, and even the modded JCM 800s - I ended up being blown away most by... The Marshall JVM410 models. The OD2 Orange with input boost might be my favorite high gain amp model on the FM3 right now. Go figure. Goes to show you that so much of this whole boutique "mojo" thing is just marketing when you're only using your ears to judge. 🤣

I'm more of a modern high gain player, so I don't have an opinion on plexis, but I had a similar experience. After spending lots of time diving deep on several high gain amps with Marshall DNA - Bogner, Friedman, Fryette, Cameron Atomica and CCV, and even the modded JCM 800s - I ended up being blown away most by... The Marshall JVM410 models. The OD2 Orange with input boost might be my favorite high gain amp model on the FM3 right now. Go figure. Goes to show you that so much of this whole boutique "mojo" thing is just marketing when you're only using your ears to judge. 🤣

Yes! 🤘 🤘 🤘

I had an accident where I downloaded a preset from axe-exchange that was based on a
a Friedman BE in the amp block. Changed it to a JCM800 and tweaked the EQ in the amp
block and was so much happier. :)

Not me. I usually end up liking the boutique ones better. My favorite Marshall type model on the FM3 is the Cornford MK50.
But they have all these models so everyone can find their favorites.

I find the FAS Hot Rod + EVH Wolfgang perfect for a hard rock rhythm tone. Based upon other product experiences, I had an initial expectation that the FAS amps would be inferior to models of classics. However, the FAS amps are actually quite good.

That said, my PRS SE definitely pairs better with the 50 or 100 watt Plexi for classic rock. I guess that leaves me liking both classics and improvements depending upon the case.

Not me. I usually end up liking the boutique ones better. My favorite Marshall type model on the FM3 is the Cornford MK50.
But they have all these models so everyone can find their favorites.

Yes. I really dig the Cornford and Atomica, too---among some others. They do seem less cutting
and more polished around the edges than the Marshall models I mentioned above. That rawness
is just what sounds good to me right now, and is open to change. :)

I believe that we are learning more about the nuances and the limits of all these amplifiers than any expert seller on a music store :)

Perhaps. :)

I know I now have no lust for a Friedman. That Marshall 2204 I stupidly sold two years ago, though. Different story. :(

I find the FAS Hot Rod + EVH Wolfgang perfect for a hard rock rhythm tone. Based upon other product experiences, I had an initial expectation that the FAS amps would be inferior to models of classics. However, the FAS amps are actually quite good.

That said, my PRS SE definitely pairs better with the 50 or 100 watt Plexi for classic rock. I guess that leaves me liking both classics and improvements depending upon the case.

Great point. Style of music and guitar choice can definitely make a HUGE difference.

That said, I think I could pretty much do almost everything I want with one of the Marshall
Plexis or JCM models and a boost on the FM3. Glad I don't have to, though. :)

Something I've got a lot out of - is taking an amp, say a Plexi 100W getting a sound I love and then on the other channels put 'rival' amps set exactly the same.

Then by flicking through channels, I really start to learn about the amps.

And to be relevant to the OP - absolutely, I love the 1959 Treble and 100W Plexi Jump'd, with a SD or TS you can get so much out of them

JCM800, is absolutely wonderful - just like one of the best studio days I ever had, when I could stand in front of a 2204 dime'd - just a majestic experience.

Recently discovery for me - using the above process, how good are the Slash models? Pretty perfect for my level of gain

Something I've got a lot out of - is taking an amp, say a Plexi 100W getting a sound I love and then on the other channels put 'rival' amps set exactly the same.

Then by flicking through channels, I really start to learn about the amps.

And to be relevant to the OP - absolutely, I love the 1959 Treble and 100W Plexi Jump'd, with a SD or TS you can get so much out of them

JCM800, is absolutely wonderful - just like one of the best studio days I ever had, when I could stand in front of a 2204 dime'd - just a majestic experience.

Recently discovery for me - using the above process, how good are the Slash models? Pretty perfect for my level of gain

What a great idea!! Mind if I steal it??? :)

I just love that percussive woodiness of those iconic Marshall circuits.
Maybe I am wrong, but some of the modern interpretations of those amps
just take away something---even if they add something else. Or a bunch of
something else's.

I know in real life they had their limitations (you had to crank them, you didn't
get channel switching, no FX loop, and they can be temperamental), but none
of that applies here, does it?? :)

Last edited:
I believe that we are learning more about the nuances and the limits of all these amplifiers than any expert seller on a music store :)
Absolutely! Can you imagine being exposed to all these amps (and cabs) in real life?

What store/museum/studio/fantasy has all that? Much less that you can pop the hood on and swap tubes, tone stacks, yadda, and play any guitar you have through them in your spare time.

Great time to be an electric guitar player! (Long as you're not trying to make a living gigging...)

Great point. Style of music and guitar choice can definitely make a HUGE difference.

That said, I think I could pretty much do almost everything I want with one of the Marshall
Plexis or JCM models and a boost on the FM3. Glad I don't have to, though. :)
Yeah, that is an interesting point. I find that the FM3 models about as flexible as the real amps I've tried (or more accounting for volume). A boost here or rolling back there on the FM3 can instantly get you tones that needed an additional patch or much tweaking on other products.

Yeah, that is an interesting point. I find that the FM3 models about as flexible as the real amps I've tried (or more accounting for volume). A boost here or rolling back there on the FM3 can instantly get you tones that needed an additional patch or much tweaking on other products.

I am fairly new to the digital modeling realm---though the other guitarist I have played
with in bands for the past 15 years has run Line 6 and an Helix since they came out. Not
sure if I was stubborn, or just didn't like what I was hearing, but I never went down that
path until lat last year when I went Helix, Kemper, and then the FM3.

The FM3 has been a revelation. It's fun discovering all it can do, and also feeling like it
lacks for nothing when it comes to what a "tube amp snob" wants. ;)

Great time to be an electric guitar player! (Long as you're not trying to make a living gigging...

No kidding! Made more in the late 80's and early 90's doing essentially the same
thing as in 2019-2020. Also, the crowds were better/more appreciative/attentive.
I swear every bar with live music decided it had to have massive flat screens all
around the establishment---including some behind the stage.

I am pretty sure I have decided to NOT enter the fray again. I have had my fun,
and a lot of my memories of playing back in the day are better than the reality
of playing now. Truth is, only our drummer is eager and itchy to get back
out there. The rest of us are fine jamming/rehearsing in the garage indefinitely. :)

Absolutely. A lot of those “imperfections” are a huge part of what I like in a guitar tone. Especially the “kchunk” sound of the JCM800. Love that sound. Friedman’s are great for big chords but when I do single note riffs and palm mutes I find myself missing those little “imperfections”, the FAS models haven’t stood out to me in the time I’ve spent with them. I’m sure if I spent more time with them I’d learn to love them, but I tried the FAS crunch and wasn’t really able to get my sound out of it, not angry sounding enough for me.

I love OD2 orange. The actual amp never sounded that good to me?

Back
Top Bottom