Anyone design a really cool auto-wah?

Define "great" and "really cool." How would that differ from an "average" auto-wah?

Have you tried a forum search? There have been a number of threads on this in recent times...

Define "great" and "really cool." How would that differ from an "average" auto-wah?

Tough crowd here. Using my 56 year old gearhead mind, I'd define it simply as 'Great sounding, feeling, triggering" . ."Great" being much better than average.. "Better" being more interesting, and more effective , perhaps. . . To me it was just a really simple question! Eric

Have you tried a forum search? There have been a number of threads on this in recent times...

Yea I searched the 1st 3 pages and didn't find anything ,and searched the presets forum and didn't find what I wanted. . I 'll try another more thorough one.

Edit: Yep found a bunch of posts and checking them out. .Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
Thanks, I just read that, and listened to your band's tune. Appreciate it. . Gonna head to try to design something myself now :) Eric

Not my band, just sitting in for another player but cool! Bottom line is IMO a Filter block with freq tied to a envelope modifier with a high Q-value is a good way to start :) Have fun!

Tough crowd here. Using my 56 year old gearhead mind, I'd define it simply as 'Great sounding, feeling, triggering" . ."Great" being much better than average.. "Better" being more interesting, and more effective , perhaps. . . To me it was just a really simple question! Eric
Not trying to be tough. It's just that building an auto-wah on the AX8 is a pretty straightforward process. Every time I've tried I thought the results were pretty cool. If you're not liking what you get, we need some idea of what you feel is missing before we can point you in a direction that's meaningful to you.

Not trying to be tough. It's just that building an auto-wah on the AX8 is a pretty straightforward process. Every time I've tried I thought the results were pretty cool. If you're not liking what you get, we need some idea of what you feel is missing before we can point you in a direction that's meaningful to you.

Not at all straight forward to me! I did my search though and found the posts where people used a filter block and tied a modifier to the Q setting, and to the low pass filter ,etc. I built about 40 of them just now , and nothing was 'Great'. . I then played with modifiers on the synth block and built all kinds of way -cool noise to put into a looper,etc. I'm done, as it's too much time for me to build what I would use on a regular basis. Maybe another time. I haven't found many auto -wah programs shared on here, and was just wondering if people LOVED theirs if they'd share them. .Typically a thread ends, when someone asks someone to share it. ;) Have a great day

Eric

Have you tried tying a modifier to the Control parameter of the Wah block?

No I have not, but when I get more time later I'll do that.. I learned more about modifiers this morning than I knew in decades of owning mutli-fx. ha.. What stumped me on adding the modifiers on the FILTER block, is I can't find anything that would be like a "Threshhold" or "Sensitivity" level, i.e. on a regular auto-wah type pedal , you have those controls. . Lots of tweakability here, but so far can't find the 'easy' ways to create what I want with the auto-wah. It'll just time time I'm sure

Eric, those controls are under ENVELOPE, which is found in the CONTROLLERS menu.

Search for the Mutron / Grateful Dead thread.

I changed to using the settings recommended in that thread and it totally kicks ass for that low range warbly Mutron III vibe.

It's all about the envelope settings. I had been using a Filter block and messed with it forever and wasn't really happy. I changed to a Wah block and the settings in that thread, loving it.

Search for the Mutron / Grateful Dead thread.

I changed to using the settings recommended in that thread and it totally kicks ass for that low range warbly Mutron III vibe.

It's all about the envelope settings. I had been using a Filter block and messed with it forever and wasn't really happy. I changed to a Wah block and the settings in that thread, loving it.

Again , thanks so much for your help! I'll check it out tonight for sure

I changed to a Wah block and the settings in that thread, loving it.
The only down-side to this is if you're already using the Wah block for Pedal Wah...
Also, a problem with sharing a wah block is that the envelope will react differently based on the signal feeding it... I have an Envelope that i use for the Bridge pickup on my EBMM JP6 (dimarzio evolution pickup) which sounds awesome but it just doesn't react the same with any of my other guitars. There are other variables such as whether the intention is to use it for single note staccato or whether you want slow attack chords etc...
Anyway, I've attached mine for anyone who wants to give it a spin..

Attachments

• Filter Wah_20160603_091608.blk
    308 bytes · Views: 7
The only down-side to this is if you're already using the Wah block for Pedal Wah...
Also, a problem with sharing a wah block is that the envelope will react differently based on the signal feeding it... I have an Envelope that i use for the Bridge pickup on my EBMM JP6 (dimarzio evolution pickup) which sounds awesome but it just doesn't react the same with any of my other guitars. There are other variables such as whether the intention is to use it for single note staccato or whether you want slow attack chords etc...
Anyway, I've attached mine for anyone who wants to give it a spin..

I had the same results until I tried these settings.

These work for for SC's, buckers, single notes, chords, very much like a real Mutron III.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ax8-does-grateful-dead-mutron-iii-effect.112794/

I found the envelope settings very unconventional. They work!

I still didn't read the Mutron thread but screwed around and was just about ready to give up but finally made a great auto-wah out of the Filter block. I had to remove the modifier from the "Q".. That sucked. . lol... I put the ENV modifier on the "frequency" and it kicks butt now after adjusting the settings on the Controller/Envelope screen also. . I really don't understand this stuff too well , but will help when I read the manual some more and read that other thread. Having to do ladyfriend stuff now, but tomorrow I'm going to compare the one I came up with to the info on that other thread and see what happens. Thanks all for your input. Eric

I had to remove the modifier from the "Q".. That sucked. . lol... I put the ENV modifier on the "frequency" and it kicks butt now..
The original advice was to use a high Q setting on the Filter block, not to tie a modifier to Q. :)

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom