Anyone close?

Cobrango

Power User
I am wondering about the potential of the axe-fx, getting close to this:

Vintage Fender Twin Reverb Cranked! tubes breaking up with Fuzz Face - YouTube

Vintage Fender Twin Reverb Cranked! tubes breaking up with Fuzz Face
This sounds monsterous! If I could get to hear any clips of an axe-fx sounding anywhere
near this I would be superhappy. I think this is the perfect example of the powerfull tubesound.
In your face, and screaming with overtones or harmonics. This clip sings so beatiful in my head.
What do you guys think? Ever heard something close from an axe-fx?

By the way, this guy can play! Damn! One of the best guitarsounds i've heard ever in my life.

I don't have a II yet (I love my standard though!), but I'm sure this is reproducible, with the realization that a lot of what you're hearing there in terms of harmonics and overtones is because of the volume this guy is playing at- this guy is playing loud!!! That's a twin cranked, with a fuzz face slamming the front end. Ouch! That's some serious spl, and a rig set up just the same but quieter would not respond quite the same way. To get this, you're going to need to move some air. Sounds very Hendrixy to my ear- and it kind of reminds me of this clip because of that:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-bassman-about-2-explode-playing-hendrix.html

That being said, the clip above is to a backing track, and not outside with a really loud amp feeding back like crazy, but it seems like it's at least in the ballpark.

Yeah I know it's loud, it's cranked man. Won't get any louder than that! Cept maybe if you crank it to, eleven.. :p
If I get my, well first of all if I ever get my, axe-fx II and get it to sound like this then, then I will be so happy.
I can't imagine how cool it would be. Guess I have to move the rig on the top of a mountain (I'm in norway, yeah "Fjords and mountain all the way baby")
and crank it up, hehe. Should get a sub for my chair like they have in cars just to feel the vibration when playing with headphones :D

That's true. But I don't think it's the "wonderful magic of apple" serving that tube-magic. More like giving it the taste of a bad avocado. Ever tried one of those? it tastes like.. Anyway yeah there is some distortion from the phone/iphone (I still see the iphone as a phone and not from another universe so) phone/phone, wich is more like the clipping distortion, now that have never sound pleasant to me, unless it's from an iphone because then it's like "haha, listen to it. Sounds like shit" eeerhm... yeah. Thank you for reminding me, no really. Thank you, we will never know how it sounded not coming from that phone, the "in the room" sound, only outside, where there are no rooms. Well I am pretty sure if I where there I would cover my ears.. Get it? Like it's so loud and.. Yeah you know.

Last edited:
I like the comments:

"I always try to get it to the loudest at any gig, of course they make it turn it down...but it goes up and down. I just need loud deafning behind me" -- whatever...
"your neighbors must love you"
"..my aunt, because it was at her house and she was napping" -- I'm sure his aunt is thrilled.

Not my favorite tones by any means, pretty good playing but kind of a knock-off Hendrix thing. What will you be using in your AxeFX II rig to try and duplicate this tone? Will you be able to play even remotely as loud as this guy?
I think the clean base from the Fender Twin sim should work fine.
I think one of the Fuzzface options in the II will work fine.
I think there are a number of wah-wah options in the two that should work fine.
I think if you are going FRFR you will probably end up with a tone like that sounding more refined, like it's Hendrix MIC'd and being heard through a recording console.
If you are going traditional power amp / cab a LOT will depend on your power amp quality (tube?) and cab/speakers.
If you are expecting to get this EXACT tone thru headphones or less than 85dB through studio monitors... well, you can come close but you might loose a little juice.
If you expect people to duplicate this tone exactly recording NO VOLUME direct to disk, that would be a pretty tall order but I can guarantee the AxeFX II would get you closest. Maybe a little more refined/defined and tight (which I would actually prefer).
Don't worry, there's some good shit in the II man...

You'll need an IR that had the mic/mics a good 8-10 feet away to get close to what you're hearing here.
Once you have the right cab IR, over half the battle will be over. Then you can just scroll through amps and pedals 'till you find what YOU thought you just heard. :)
Personally, I didn't think much of his tone even considering the fact that a phone was probably used to record it.

cheers,
Steve

Back
Top Bottom