Anybody using any completely stock patches live?

I've never used a stock patch live or in the studio. I've also never used anyone elses preset live or in the studio. I've tried but it never quite works for me. I prefer starting from scratch and working out my tones and patches. It's quicker for me to get the results I like.

I use Stereo Tape Delay for Cleans, Nearly Stock other than a Spillover Delay Block I put in and Some other Midi CC Controller Tweaks.
I also use the Recto Orange and Recto Red with only minor tweaks and the Same Spillover Delay Block.

I've used a few of them for recording, mostly because while I was checking out presets something inspired me and I just went with it in the moment of inspiration rather than losing it while I was trying to tweak. I might use some of them if I was just hanging out and jamming, but will definitely be using my own when I start using the Axe with my band. Not that the presets are bad; in fact some are quite excellent... but they usually need some EQ or something to fit my (non-FRFR) setup, and I'd always want to tweak how much boost, what fx I'm using, etc.

Yup... using 1 thru 43, Katie's Song, EJ Clean, Mark Day's HBE and Cliff's Lead.

Last edited:
I use a few, the Friedman Marsha BE and Soldano Lead patches on the Axe Fx II as a couple of examples. Some others are just mildly worked over. It doesn't matter if I use theirs or mine, it still sounds like me... I mean, it is still my fingers and brain, after all. Sometimes that's good, sometimes I need more work than the patches! Of course, I also have several "from scratch" presets going too.

One thing I have noticed with the II is that the presets sound (sometimes) a little trebly or thin just listening at home. But, live with a band at volume they sound just right and sit in the band mix really well. I find some of the presets I have built at home playing by myself can suddenly get lost when played with the band. It's been educational!

Last edited:
Yup... using 1 thru 43, Katie's Song, EJ Clean, Mark Day's HBE and Cliff's Lead.

Same here - oops-didn't see the live part. I do to record. Of course some tweaking to them all, but still pretty much stock

Last edited:
The question is a strawman argument IMO.

Has anyone purchased a Marshall stack or Twin reverb and left the knobs as they came out of the shipping box?

The presets are meant as a beginning to highlight the units abilities, not an end all be all. Since modeling began this has been a reaccuring problem with expectations being out if sync with reality.

The question is a strawman argument IMO.

Has anyone purchased a Marshall stack or Twin reverb and left the knobs as they came out of the shipping box?

The presets are meant as a beginning to highlight the units abilities, not an end all be all. Since modeling began this has been a reaccuring problem with expectations being out if sync with reality.

The question is not an "argument" at all. Just a question. Was curious. I actually have used a couple of stock patches live. Defensive much?

I use some factory patches.

I almost always reduce the efx level though and add a tad of treble and presence. But not anything other than that.

Ive never used a factory preset. Especially live, the DB differences are too sharp for a lot of patches. I agree with what everyone else said. Its only a starting point to get your mind interested and that light bulb to go off and then you tweak to your sweet spot. If it was perfect for you out of the box that would mean probably 75% of people wouldn't like it. Or 99% if they are musicians lol

In my case, as I said, on the Ultra, I used a lot of factory patches. In part it was that I didn't know what I was doing. In part it was adventure because I'd never owned a Marshall or Dumble. And the Axe grid was daunting. But later a while I altered enough patches and created a couple that became my staples; stable basic tones. Now I'm not a power Axe Fx programmer by any means, I find it simple. If you know how to get tones out of an amp it's relatively easy, as long as you have a basic understanding of the parameters.

Now with the II I haven't tried any of the factory patches for more than 5 seconds before I erase it and start from scratch or close to.

@Luke-Your statement about presets being to show off the capabilities is true, but that doesn't mean the presets suck or cannot be used. Many were made by folks here we all know and I'll take MAtt, Scott, adam and the others ideas anyday of the week.
Of course you tweak them if need be and most do need a bit, some need alot more. Backline for me needed none for recording direct. So............................................Just sayin...................

Last edited:
I've only had a AxeFX II (1st AxeFX period) for a month, taken it on 3 gigs already and I've quickly learned that making patches from scratch is best for me.

I do at home and when I play with band live,Im using Axe II to FRFR Atomic Powered Wedge in and out from Atomic to FOH.

When I read "completely stock", I take that as nothing has been altered. Nothing means: no changes in the EQ, drive or levels. Given the variation in volumes between presets, I can't see it. Once you change one parameter .0001%, it is not a "completely stock" preset anymore.

Now if the question was, "does anyone use the stock presets?"

If we were to dig deeper I'd imagine most of those who use "completely stock" presets , in fact have altered something, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom