Anybody like the default presets?

LVC, please post some of your tweaked presets? I think it would be good for people to hear what you're doing to them. There tends to be a certain.... knee-jerk reaction around here when someone says they like things... different... this would be a great way to prevent that.

Here you go -- it is a WIP

Should have it finished tomorrow.

All Around Gig Preset for Single Coils

Guitar used:
Suhr Mike Landau Classic (SSS)
Effects (mirror my real life pedalboard)
Wah - set to auto engage
Filter - Mutron
Compressor
MXR 90 Phaser
RCB Boost (two settings (X/Y)
AC Boost
Zendrive
Tremolo
Chorus
Leslie
Delays (x/y)
Reverb (x/y)
filter - 4db boost

Scene 1 Twin Reverb - Clean with RC Boost for added body.
Scene 2 Twin Reverb - comp/chorus (think Bad Girls - yes we cover that song - play with strat in 2nd "quack" position)
Scene 3 Twin Reverb - AC Boost - light grit - think Eva Cassidy "Drowning in the sea of love"
Scene 4 Twin Reverb - RC > Zendrive stack - nice crunch tone - think Etta James "shakey ground"
Scene 5 Deluxe Tweed - RC hitting the tweed - longer delay - use as a lead tone

I have the same preset for Humbucker guitars (which I will try and finish tomorrow).

Pretty simple preset for a Pub band. Preset emulates how I used my twin for years and the pedals on my board.

I need to make some adjustments tomorrow to it to to finalize -- when I do I will post on the exchange. Same with HB version.

then I will work on the other two patches I use at gigs (dumble and straight up tweed patch). Probably 80% of the tunes we cover I handle with this or the HB patch (depending on which guitar I take out). the balance is handled with a dumble patch and a straight up tweed patch.

Again pretty straight forward nothing fancy.

I just took another pain killer (I had knee surgery two days ago and whatever medication the pumped my knee with is finally wearing off -- not good) so I should stop before I start really getting goofy :lol

Enjoy!

[Edit] final version can be downloaded from here: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Twin Tweed SC - 11 - by LVC

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't like the presets can blame me. I dialed in all the presets in the first bank. FWIW I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and played professionally for over 20. Maybe my idea of good tone isn't the same as everyone else but I know my way around amps.

Dear Cliff

Sure you do (clearly, otherwise we wouldn't have so an amazing tone machine as your axefx is!!!) I guess no one here should blame anyone, as I said - there is a functional missunderstanding what an amp does compared to the axefx (not by you, by us users, most of them I guess - me included ). We forgot how a real amps sounded playing really loud, we think we do, but we don't ;) On the AxeFx II (and I) we have everything in bedroom volume - and we hear every detail, which we can't hear when playing the real thing with the same parameter values "loud".

For me, your "presets" were always a good starting point for my own creations.....

The collection of "well designed" sounds was more of an "user help user"-idea, not meant to enter the product ;) That's what I like the most - we have 384 user memories, no factory only presets. And thanks to FractalBot we can send/receive complete Banks within seconds without hassle! Which is super cool!

And now, enjoy your "well deserved" vacation

verbeugen.gif

cheers
Paco

Some I like, some I don't. That's really more down to the classes of amps I like though more than anything else. I think I'm a natural Plexi kinda guy, so when I found the 'Jumped Plexi' patch it made me go, 'Woah, this is awesome!'.

For bluesy-cleany-crunch stuff, the Fender class will grab me. Vox stuff just does nothing for me at all.

FWIW,

Some of the V11 Bank A presets are so real its a little uncanny to me.

I've only spent a couple of hours running through Bank A, but the plexi's in particular are wicked real. Big and thick when they are supposed be and tighten up as you crank them.

I've never bonded with the SLO amps but the Bank A SLO presets are so present. Really good.

To be honest I've never found the factory Fender amp presets to sound like my own Fenders. But as said, you can dial them in no worries. But the factory Fender presets have always not sounded like my real amps to me.

Reactions: LVC
FWIW,

Some of the V11 Bank A presets are so real its a little uncanny to me.

I've only spent a couple of hours running through Bank A, but the plexi's in particular are wicked real. Big and thick when they are supposed be and tighten up as you crank them.

I've never bonded with the SLO amps but the Bank A SLO presets are so present. Really good.

To be honest I've never found the factory Fender amp presets to sound like my own Fenders. But as said, you can dial them in no worries. But the factory Fender presets have always not sounded like my real amps to me.

I find with the Fenders I take the gain way down. A lot of the Fender presets have the gain at 5 and above and they turn fizzy and mostly don't sound good to me. That's like my real Fenders. My BF Fender amps have a really narrow band on the volume knob where they go from almost off to 90% volume. Similar with Tweed. Usually between about 2 and 4. Beyond that is mostly more compression and saturation. When I drop the gain on the Axe models into that zone (and sometimes even under 1), they behave a lot more like I want and expect. With gain way down, then hit with a drive pedal they sound fantastic, like the real ones do.

Patches are very dependant upon the guitar that you use, where you have volume and tone set on the guitar and how you approach the guitar itself. I only use my own patches and I sometimes find that when I go back to one, it sounds awful and I wonder what I was thinking! Then I remember that I was playing a strat neck pick up with the guitar volume rolled back when I made it, so it won't sound great with my Les Paul bridge pick up.

Actually, I'd love a way if recording a patch memo on the Axe so that I can remember what I was playing and what I was trying to achieve with some of my patches!

LVC said:
Anybody like the default presets?

Yes.

Anyone who doesn't like the presets can blame me. I dialed in all the presets in the first bank. FWIW I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and played professionally for over 20. Maybe my idea of good tone isn't the same as everyone else but I know my way around amps.

I think you did a really good job. The difference in character between the various Marshall-derived flavors comes across very well. I'm sure most of that is due to the improvement in modelling, but the presets are spot on.

I find with the Fenders I take the gain way down. A lot of the Fender presets have the gain at 5 and above and they turn fizzy and mostly don't sound good to me. That's like my real Fenders. My BF Fender amps have a really narrow band on the volume knob where they go from almost off to 90% volume. Similar with Tweed. Usually between about 2 and 4. Beyond that is mostly more compression and saturation. When I drop the gain on the Axe models into that zone (and sometimes even under 1), they behave a lot more like I want and expect. With gain way down, then hit with a drive pedal they sound fantastic, like the real ones do.

I feel the same way.

You can get stellar Fender tones from the AxeFx II with the factory IR's.

But the factory presets in regards to Fenders are underwhelming to me. And you see a small amount of chatter about the Fenders every new firmware.

The Marshalls on the other are represented in a better light by the factory presets, IMO.

Cliff did a great job imo they're are always going to be tweaks needed but the baseline for stellar tones are right there.

I read some of this thread and started thinking, "first world problems." Then I starting thinking it's beyond that, more like problems of the 1%. Where do I park the new Bentley, cause the Ferrari, Mercedes and Aston Martin take up my 3 garage slots?

Personally, if I had to play the Princeton Reverb I've been playing since I loaded 11 as my only amp I could happily live with it for quite some time, particularly when paired with all the great drives. What a load of fantastic sounds I've been getting from one amp. We are spoiled for choice.

Now I'm going to wander off to school through the snow in my bare feet.

Hehe! Yeah. I gotta admit, I've been there for most of the time I've owned the AxeFxII. Kept putting off this, that and the next thing, thinking "I can't mess with this". Damn software changes every 15 minutes, and half the time the latest and greatest thing breaks something else. I developed an attitude about it... "Don't touch it, don't even look at it!" ...thinking I'd never recover the magic.

But, the reality is, you can go home. No sense in not exploring.

That said, as much as I want the latest and greatest 13 milliseconds after it's available, it seems as though it would serve everybody better if there were maybe annual or bi-annual updates, so we could have something we could count on for a minute or two. This business of constantly being in limbo about what works and what doesn't, what's available and what's not, etc. is nuts. Every time Cliff has an epiphany, everything and everybody goes into a tizzy. It's uncomfortable.

With all the variables taken under consideration, instrument, cables, pickups,monitor systems,(EAR WAX) different rooms etc!!!! There's no way for anyone to create presets that will please anywhere close to everyone!!! We all tend to want what we want sometimes and forget about all the variables I think!!!

All I can be sure of is This set of bank A presets sound great on my variables!!! There's stuff going on I haven't heard in them before!!

That said, as much as I want the latest and greatest 13 milliseconds after it's available, it seems as though it would serve everybody better if there were maybe annual or bi-annual updates, so we could have something we could count on for a minute or two. This business of constantly being in limbo about what works and what doesn't, what's available and what's not, etc. is nuts. Every time Cliff has an epiphany, everything and everybody goes into a tizzy. It's uncomfortable.

Yes, But, We all have the choice to install or to not install, right? Or go back to a previous version anytime! It shouldn't be held back if it's available from the ones that want to take those steps ahead! We are each accountable for ourselves aren't we?

Reactions: MNG
Apologies, but I could not disagree more. If a user chooses to stay with a previous version then there are no stability problems. Updates are never forced. I love how this product has evolved from v3 (I think that's the version that arrived in my II). In fact, I was considering just how lucky I feel to have the II, how much fun it was and how much more it offered me now as compared to v3. My vote; keep the updates coming as inspiration strikes!

Bank A with my EVH Music Man peavey 50 50 classic amp and 2 2x12 dragoon!

Some of the default present are better then real amps! They sound perfect... quite real...
I tested some of them with my board and monitor and... mmm maybe i will spend more time on it...
But with amp and cabs... very very very happy!
Thank you Cliff! :)

Yes, But, We all have the choice to install or to not install, right? Or go back to a previous version anytime! It shouldn't be held back if it's available from the ones that want to take those steps ahead! We are each accountable for ourselves aren't we?

exactly. those who want to go in a tizzy do. I update most times and find things are almost always better after I tweak a few parameters. If you have 60 homebrew presets that are crucial to your life, don't update all the time. Otherwise, don't worry about it. Cliff knows tone and there's a reason he keeps having epiphanies. He knows it can be better. That being said, I don't know where he's going now, cause it goes to 11 and sounds amazing.

Maybe more IRs or effects or usability tweaks. The sound is the bomb right now. If Cliff has a better idea I sure don't want to stop progress, but I'm just blown away by where we are right now.

Just noticed some problems (?) with the amp X/Y switching in the default preset bank A (didn't check the other banks). When I press amp Y I don't have any sound. In AE I see the the input drive is set to 0% for amp Y on all presets. Some also have MV on 0%. All amps Y in the default bank A presets have strange settings.
Is that a bug? or why is this?

Last edited:

I don't think any two guitar players idea of a good tone is the same. That's why Brian May, George Harrison, and The Edge, all get very different sounds from a Vox AC30.
Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, and Eric Johnson all got different sounds from their Marshalls. Tone starts in the mind of the player. Different guitar players like a wide variety of musical styles. There is no right or wrong. The Axe FXII gives you all the flexibility you need to dial in any preset to your own taste, or to create something totally new. Thanks for all the work you do. The Axe FXII just keeps getting better!

Back
Top Bottom