Any Yes fans ?

Long time fan, Yes is one of my "big four" along with Rush, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. I've seen them multiple times in various incarnations since 90125 back in '84. I also saw the ARW tour a few years ago and got to meet the band (meet n' greet) and that was a semi-surreal moment. I like all the lineups, and I consider multiple members as big influences (Steve Howe, Trevor Rabin, Bill Bruford, Rick Wakeman, Chris Squire). I like all the musicians that have moved in and out of the lineup over the years, but those mentioned have been especially important.

IMG_6598.JPG

Cool. I met them as well on the ARW tour here in Fl. My bud is a big Washburn fan and artists endorser and he had a couple of Panteras like Trevor uses and bought them to show him. I had just gone over them and set them up and Trevor liked one of them so much he used it for his sound check. We got to hang out a bit and he even came and sat with us during his solo in the middle of the show. Like you said it was a surreal moment and one I am very grateful for. As a life long fan it was really cool getting to hang out with Jon and Rick. Rick especially is a really funny and interesting guy. Someone you would love to go have a beer with and talk about old cars and whatnot. 😎

I've seen them three times - twice with Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman, and White. The first was at Radio City Music Hall, and the second was for the recording of the "Songs from Tsongas" DVD (which you can see me in, very briefly).

The third time was in 2013 with Davison and Downes, at a small theatre in New Hampshire - my friend and I had VIP tickets and met the band afterwards. I was 4th row in front of Howe - great view!

On one other occasion I was working in NYC and an older coworker said to me in the morning, "Hey, I'm going over to Grand Central for lunch, Jon Anderson is playing with some School of Rock thing for Earth Day. I heard you're a Yes fan?" It turned out to be a fantastic free show!

So yeah, big fan here :)

Back around the time of the version with Trevor Rabin, I had the honor (that's the best way to describe it) to play with the most awesome, talented bass player I'd ever played with named Dana. I had a house party in which we set up and played, various guys joining in whenever, real impromptu kinda thing. We took a break and put on Big Generator, and Dana continued to play. The album had recently come out, yet he knew like every song! I just sat there mesmerized, especially when he nailed the solo to Shoot High Aim Low. Talk about a Yes fan!

Hell, Yes!

I have seen Yes several times in their various incarnations. The original lineup is still my favourite. Hey Bruford!

Steve always had Fender amps on the stage. One time he was running a Super Reverb. He played the ES 175 a lot, but also picked up Telecasters for several songs - obviously very different and distinct tonalities.

On the acoustic side, I saw him play a solo show at the Great American Music Hall SF. Rather amazing to sit down 10 feet from him and watch him pick out all that stuff. Also, and I’m not sure if he did this is a joke, he strummed and sang a Chorus from Heat of the Moment - which people kind of looked around at each other during 🙄 Any pop song certainly did not fit the theme of the wonderful stuff he was doing that night.

To me, he’s always been an inspirational player taking the music to a whole new place.

Relayer tones ripped my flesh!

(Or was that weasels?)

In any case, I would love to have those presets if anyone has worked them up?

I'm more of a ...
Tales from topographic oceans
Going for the one (Awaken is the best)
Drama
Big Generator (Shoot High Aim Low)
Union(Without Hope You Cannot Start The Day)
type of fan :D

I saw this thread had been resurrected. Recently, I was making some playlists and remembered what song instantly made me a Yes fan. As a kid, this was my introduction to prog rock:

Have tried and tried to be a Yes fan but it just doesn't seem to take. And its not that I'm not a prog fan as I'm heavy into Rush / Early Genesis / Pink Floyd. I think maybe its the higher pitched keyboards and / or Anderson's vocal pitch. I've delved into it a few times listening to the earlier aclaimed albums in full hoping something will click for me and I'll want to come back to it - nope. Suggestions welcomed. (fyi, I've been trying for a while (bought Relayer when originally released in 74-75 something like that))

Have tried and tried to be a Yes fan but it just doesn't seem to take. And its not that I'm not a prog fan as I'm heavy into Rush / Early Genesis / Pink Floyd. I think maybe its the higher pitched keyboards and / or Anderson's vocal pitch. I've delved into it a few times listening to the earlier aclaimed albums in full hoping something will click for me and I'll want to come back to it - nope. Suggestions welcomed. (fyi, I've been trying for a while (bought Relayer when originally released in 74-75 something like that))
I cut my teeth on 90125. I think it appealed to me as a budding guitar player due to Trevor Rabin’s performance. It’s more radio-friendly than most of their material. I’d start there. 👍🏻

Steven Wilson's remixes of the early classic albums are worth a listen.
I looked them up, and have been listening through good headphones and hearing lots of new parts, and especially how much more powerful Squire’s bass sounds are, Howe’s guitars are crystal clear, Wakeman’s synths fly in from the sides and they all sound as if I’m on stage with them. He did an awesome job remixing them! Stunning quality and well worth listening to repeatedly.

Back
Top Bottom